Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (1992)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Megadeth-Countdown_To_Extinction-Frontal.png

Track list.
1. Skin O' My Teeth
2. Symphony of Destruction
3. Architecture of Aggression
4. Foreclosure of a Dream
5. Sweating Bullets
6. This Was My Life
7. Countdown to Extinction
8. High Speed Dirt
9. Psychotron
10. Captive Honour
11. Ashes in Your Mouth

This is an interesting album. It garnered a lot of commercial success while still maintaining a lot of the traditional Megadeth sound. There was however a transition in sound after Rust In Peace, with CTE they focus more on melody and rhythm almost in a very hard rock sort of method.

Songs like Skin O' My Teeth, Architecture, This Was My Life, do retain a lot more of the thrashy side of things. Symphony of Destruction, Psychotron and several others do more of the transitional sound to rhythm. Then you get great melodies like Foreclosure of a Dream which have a very ballad feel to it whilst not actually being one.

For me this album was something where Dave Mustaine wanted to master another style of thrash, he pretty much showed his craft at doing some of the most complicated and heavy thrash compositions such as on Rust in Peace and Peace Sells but this one he really is able to do that but more on a groovy sort of sense. It is a really good album front to back. Hard for me to fault anything on it.

Summary, great album, really good transition for Megadeth. Ill post my 4 favourite songs.

My video review as well.

joe

Reaction score
Great review Riff.:clap:

I agree with your assessment of the album. I did hear the shift as well when it was released and wonder if it was a responce to Metallica's black album(?). I might do a video review in the future as it might be easier being that of my typing skills...nay, I'd scare everyone.:heheh:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dunno if it was a response to Metallica, Megadeth still kept their traditional metal sound for the most part, just went a bit more focused on rhythm and melody. Metallica went way more commercial.

I believe in when people say sales don't dictate music quality all the time. Sales don't measure how a fan bought it, they could have checked an album out given there was no pirating then.

joe

Reaction score
Dunno if it was a response to Metallica, Megadeth still kept their traditional metal sound for the most part, just went a bit more focused on rhythm and melody. Metallica went way more commercial.

I believe in when people say sales don't dictate music quality all the time. Sales don't measure how a fan bought it, they could have checked an album out given there was no pirating then.

I did hear a slight shift to the mainstream but not nearly as dramatic as the black album. It's been awhile since I've listened to it as I'm going on my memory here. I'll pull out the CD and give 'er a listen sometime today.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
This is at a time when they were heavy MTV stars and it happened to everyone. Dave was a spokesman on there with Rock The Vote and all that.

Great album though. Great review.

IMO, I see the Black album along the same lines. Rythms and melodies. I don't think they were really trying to be commercial until the Load albums.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are theories that Metallica actually went commercial with And Justice For all for some reason too lol
I don't agree with those who say being on MTV make someone a sell out either which many did call Megadeth sell outs at this point.

joe

Reaction score
Riff, I listened to Rust In Peace and Countdown To Extinction back to back yesterday and what really stood out for me was how much "slower" CTE is to RIP and not near as complex/technical either. "Symphony of "Destruction", I'd say is almost too slow and just doesn't work for me.

I can't see ...And Justice For All being commercial though maybe on the basis of the track, "One" as it did crack the top 40. I think (take that for what it's worth) it was at the Grammy's that Metallica performed "One", the same year they last to Jethro Tull for best metal band.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I enjoy CTE more rhythm focused work, the only thing about Symphony that bugs me is it being overplayed. Nothing else as it is a very good tune.
Was a nice change of pace so to speak from the usual thrashy aggressive compositions of the previous 4 albums to it.

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score
Great album. Was a bit slower than Rust In Peace. But still IMO a very good album. Skin O' My Teeth still one of my favourite tracks by Megadeth

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online