May Blitz (Official Thread)

joe

Reaction score
May+Blitz.jpg

May Blitz was formed in 1969 with drummer Tony Newman on drums who played on the Jeff Beck Group's Beck-Ola and two Canadians from Victoria, B.C.(my home town), lead vocalist/guitarist James Black and bassist Reid Hudson who travelled to England to find stardom.

May Blitz was one of the first four bands to sign with Vertigo label that included Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, and Juicy Lucy.

This debut album from 1970 is a must hear for anyone interested in the development of heavy music. Very powerful infused with proto-metal guitar histrionics, psychedelic and strong blues undertones and progressive tendencies.

Rich and clear production provides the striking dynamic contrasts as it veers from ambience to crushing riffs in a blink of an eye. Certainly unpredictable, even today. A "lost classic."

may+1.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: May Blitz

Great thread Joe, I have seen the picture in the vids you posted before but never knew where it came from until now.

Your "Arcane" knowledge about all these bands that flew under the radar(Well mine a lot of them have) is amazing.

I'll put that one on my list and see if I can get a copy.:hab:

joe

Reaction score

LG, you can get both albums on one CD.

51BUZtd-sSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Thanks Joe I'll keep my eye out for them...:tup:

joe

Reaction score

Both excellent Wolf. For me, thier first gets the nod, but not by much.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I like the first one too but just think 2nd is better. Really good band though and both have gotten many spins from me over the years.

joe

Reaction score

Just after six months of thier s/t debut, May Blitz released the 2nd. Of May in 1971. Where as the first album concentrated on wieght, here on this album the band expands on moods and ambience.

The band was dropped from the Vertigo label and the two Canadians left to go home as Tony Newman went onto the Three Man Army, and to work with Marc Bolan and David Bowie and then to Whitesnake.

It would of been interesting to see where May Blitz would of gone. A shame.

may2.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online