mark david chapman!

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
I don't get why they always call murderers by their full name like Mark David Chapman, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Wilkes Booth, etc.

Oh sorry BP, that's your other thread.

Berserker

Reaction score
@lynch

Well then he's not important to you, but to me he is a hero to speak out in the era of Kent state, cointelpro, MLK shooting, JFK shooting. People, even famous people, we're being killed for their ideas. He was taking a risk, seemingly got through it, then gets killed much later by a random idiot with a gun.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I don't get why they always call murderers by their full name like Mark David Chapman, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Wilkes Booth, etc.

The reason for using the middle name on certain people is because they are typically infamous due to the person they killed or the number of people they killed in the case of serial murders. It is done to differentiate between every other Mark Chapman, Lee Oswald, John Booth. I also think that this typically is used with people who actually pull off the murder they are attempting, with the failed attempted murders usually only being known by their first and last names.

I read something on this a number of years back so I could be wrong, I'm going off of memory now.

Lynch

Reaction score
@lynch

Well then he's not important to you, but to me he is a hero to speak out in the era of Kent state, cointelpro, MLK shooting, JFK shooting. People, even famous people, we're being killed for their ideas. He was taking a risk, seemingly got through it, then gets killed much later by a random idiot with a gun.
I think you are taking my comments to the extreme. What I am saying is that he is NO MORE IMPORTANT than anyone else who had the EXACT same views... you know, John Q Citizen. Your neighbor, your friend, the guy who picks up your garbage every Tuesday morning, the guy who delivers your mail, the guy who bags your groceries, the lady who works at the local garden center, etc. His views are ONLY known because he was a celebrity, NOT because his views were any more important than anyone elses at the time.

As a pop culture icon and 1/2 of the Lennon/McCartney song writing duo, I think he's one of the most important musical figures of all time. Just that I don't give him any special credit for his personal social and political agendas.

By the way, JFK was dead before anyone in America even knew who the Beatles were. :D

Berserker

Reaction score
Views shmiews, Jo boy billy bobs opinion is far less important. Your neighbors don't get into a grudge match with us government over their option that ends in their deportation. He paid a price for his beliefs, that holds more value to me than some cubicle jockey with the same opinion at the water cooler.

Lynch

Reaction score
Views shmiews, Jo boy billy bobs opinion is far less important.
that is so SO sad. In saying that, you are also saying that YOUR opinion doesn't mean squat either because the media isn't shoving a camera in your face.

No offense, but it's that type of ideology that simply and totally empowers pompous a-hole celebrities every single time that they get on their social and political soapboxes to tell us cubicle jockeys, burger flippers, garbage men, window washers and the like how we are suppose to think, what we should do with our money, who we should and shouldn't vote for, etc.

Berserker

Reaction score
The media is what it is. I didn't wake up and decide that Susanne Saranden or whoever is going to tell you how to live your life. That's just how it is, me saying they are more important doesn't make it so, it just is. I'm not empowering them, the a-holes who decide they are more important do. You think any crack pot on the street is equal to someone who is an enemy of the state because of the combination of celebrity and opinion? It's a different playing field (one of higher importance). I'm starting to care less and less with each passing disagreement.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Views shmiews, Jo boy billy bobs opinion is far less important. Your neighbors don't get into a grudge match with us government over their option that ends in their deportation. He paid a price for his beliefs, that holds more value to me than some cubicle jockey with the same opinion at the water cooler.

Now, I'm no expert on this subject, but by all accounts MDC was pretty nuts. From what I've read, he hardly cared about Lennon's beliefs. More so he was envious and/or angered by his money while he preached about humanity, and he was pissed by some stupid comment Lennon had made about being bigger than Jesus. I'm not saying it was Lennon's fault that he was murdered, but it sounds like the murderer wasn't too concerned with Lennon's beliefs as much as the fact that he thought he was a hypocrite and felt he was going insane.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Also, and I could be wrong here in Lennon's case specifically, but back then a lot of the English rockers would move to other countries during tax exiles to keep their government from taxing them so highly. If that's not why Lennon came here, then I stand corrected, but it's possible. I believe the Stones did it, as did the members of Led Zeppelin.

And was Lennon ever granted citizenship here? Because if not, then the random scrub's opinion DOES mean more than his did. Sorry, if you're not a citizen here, or you are one and not registered to vote, you really have no right to complain in my opinion.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notmrdurden

Staff online

Members online