Lemmy hates rap and pop music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Walker

Reaction score
Not that I disagree with Lemmy (assuming he wasn't bashing 60s/70s/80s pop, some of which is quite good), but he is really pretentious for a metal guy (yes, I'm calling him that on purpose because he apparently doesn't like being called that even though it's exactly what he is). Motorhead isn't bad, but it isn't particularly complex, artful, or abstract either. He needs to get off of his high horse in my opinion. And if he's jealous that those artists are outselling him, he shouldn't be. He was part of the most commercially viable musical movement going on in the early 80s. He was also outsold by people doing the same thing he was doing, just better.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
^^^^
:wtf::wtf::wtf:

I'm sure rock and metal committed suicide twice - thanks to Aerosmith doing Walk This Way with Run-DMC in 1986 and Anthrax with Public Enemy "Bring The Noise" in 1991. Rap at this time was underground and still could be there if those 2 American bands didn't involve hip-hop to their music. Now everything is swapped - rock and metal became underground (that one we know from '60 - '95).

Lemmy said perfectly and you know why? Rock 'n' Roll is Lemmy, Lemmy is Rock 'n' Roll.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
From the article 70's Guy posted he didn't say anything about the older pop artists at all, but he does specifically mention Mayer and Bieber, so until he includes artists like the Carpenters etc., I will assume he's not happy with the modern flavor of the genre.

Doesn't matter to me if he hates all of it or not, I am not a Motorhead fan anyway...:heheh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
U have to admit, LG, Lemmy is way beyond cool even if you don't like Motorhead.

I love it when musicians show some balls to speak up, and do it publicly.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I like Lemmy fine in Hawkwind, but in Motorhead I just never liked them.

I have said numerous times I respect artists who take a stand on issues, and Lemmy is no different, I don't think I have to add I agree with him about Hip-hop...:grinthumb

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about rap, some of it is OK (IMO) but it's perfectly legitimate music with mass commercial acceptance whether we like it or not. My kids love it, and why wouldn't they? ... the idea that young teen kids should be listening to Barclay James Harvest and Van Der Graaf Generator like I do is just ludicrous. Music evolves, even if Motorhead's music doesn't, and Lemmy makes the exact same noise now as he did 40 years ago. Once music stops evolving, it will be dead. If people don't like rap, then fine, don't play it, but it isn't going away anytime soon.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree with him that all pop sucks :D

Actually, DKW, he didn't say "pop sucks" in the interview. He never mentioned the word "pop". He did slam hip/hop, though.

and he slams just about all music of today.

Lemmy and AtlanticCityWeekly.com said:
That’s not just in the studio or onstage. The magnetic Kilmister gives maximum effort whether performing or partying. It’s not surprising that he’s bored during this politically correct era in rock.

“It kills me how bland this period is,” Kilmister says bluntly. “You go backstage these days and you see 20 bottles of Perrier and a bag of nuts. What’s wrong with this ****ing picture? Everything is so healthy today and it’s terrible. I don’t get it.”

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Lemmy is a throwback to the "Neanderthal" era of rock and roll Magic, personally if the new guys want to sip perrier instead of slamming a 40 oz bottle of Jack I have no problem with that, they will probably last longer.

Of course I remember Lemmy saying he smokes a pack a day to keep his voice in exactly the right form...:oyea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online