Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page Sued For Plagiarism Over "Dazed And Confused"

rtbuck

Reaction score
(taken from Nightwatchers House of Rock Nightwatcher's House Of Rock)

After over 40 years folk singer Jake Holmes is suing Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page for allegedly stealing the Zeppelin hit “Dazed and Confused” from him, TMZ reported today.

Holmes claims that he obtained a copyright for his song “Dazed and Confused” in 1967, two years before Led Zeppelin recorded their own “Dazed and Confused.”

The Yardbirds, Page's previous band before Zeppelin used to perform a slightly different version as "I'm Confused", which Page adapted for the version included on 'Led Zeppelin', the band's first album in 1969. In 1967 Holmes opened up for The Yardbirds in New York, where Page heard the song.

Led Zeppelin have been sued before over claims of plagiarism, primarily by blues artists such as Willie Dixon, or their record labels. If Holmes’ federal lawsuit is successful, he can only sue Page for damages from the past three years, due to the statue of limitations.

To compare the two songs, first here's Holmes' version, from his 1967 debut album ' "The Above Ground Sound" Of Jake Holmes'.

Led Zeppelin's classic version from 'Led Zeppelin' 1969

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yeah I would think this should have been something that needed to be addressed....like right away??

:bonk:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
That's going to be a problem for Jake Holmes now after all this time. The courts may rule that he waived his right to sue because he chose not to take action for over forty years.

:(

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I am not so sure of that,,,Procul Harum had to settle with the original keyboardist and their hit song,,,after 40 years or so. In England it's basically open ended as far as lawsuits go, unless that's been changed.

I think that is one reason this lawsuit took place, after seeing the result of the one I mentioned. It is a little ridiculous, to sue after all this time, but if he did write the tune and Page "Sampled" it, then I suppose the courts will rule in Holmes favor. Despite all this I feel LZ did so much to change the originals that their versions are so much better and different as to become in effect their own song.

Oh well I find all these lawsuits tedious, I feel twenty years should be the limit...gives you plenty of time to take action if you like after that,,,too bad.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
If Holmes’ federal lawsuit is successful, he can only sue Page for damages from the past three years, due to the statue of limitations.

So in layman's terms, the most Holmes could hope to collect amounts to a certain amount of royalties from the last three years worth of album sales for Zeppelin's debut and possibly the digital sales for the song itself.

Is that about right?

Who knows, maybe he saw Plant or Page in the mall, they didn't say Hello to him and he got pissed.

ishu161

Reaction score
okay...i'm back...and this was the first thing i noticed....
ahem,ahem....
*takes a deep breath*
SERIOUSLY???

what is wrong with this dude?? :O

at first i thought maybe he had been in a coma all this time....but there's just no pint in this...gah
*walks away supressing all the rage over someone who dared to lay an ewebrow on Jimmy Page*

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Zeppelin stole a lot of ideas. Spirit's "Taurus" is the basis for "Stairwa to Heaven."

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Staff online

Members online