Led Zeppelin VS Deep Purple

Which band do you prefer?

• Total voters

scarabus

Reaction score
Deep Purple no question about it. Blackmore, Lord and Paice were the musical stars of the early 70s. No-one could touch them individually and together they were unbeatable. Add Gillan (and Glover) to it and you have the best band ever walked this earth.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
Two years ago I wrote, that prefer Purple over Led Zep, and now I've wished to explain, why. I just think, that in their best years (I mean 70's) Purple were better as musicians separately.

Ritchie was more technical skilled guitarist, than Jimmy, Gillan was much more better live (and studio) singer, than Robert, Paice was more stable and versatile drummer, than Bonzo (with all my respect to Mighty John), and, of course, Lord always was much more better keyboardist, than Jones (although, for the sake of justice, keyboards wasn't John Paul's main instrument).

IMO, LZ had only three undoubtedly advantages: John Paul Jones always was much better bass-player, than Roger Glover, LZ were much more skilled and professional arrangers, than DP, and sure, they're had incommensurably better management, than Purple.

I'm sure, if DP, Uriah Heep, UFO and Nazareth had such a manager, like Peter Grant - their popularity (especially in USA) could be not less (and, maybe, bigger), than Zeppelin's.

So, final score (for me) - Purple a bit better, than Zeppelin.
2_sm5.gif

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Zeppelin had the popularity, Purple was a better band all the way around.

Plant's vocals are nails on a chalkboard to me at times. Never had a prob with Gillan's vocals (or Coverdale's).
Jimmy has a lot more recognizable riffs, but was sloppy as hell, a LOT, especially in concert. never heard slop like that from Blackmore.
Ian Paice's drumming is better than Bonham's on every level, other than maybe volume. From a technical standpoint, Ian destroys Bohnam.
Tossup for me on the bass. Both JPG and RG are good at what they did in the band they were in.

My vote easily goes to DP

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online