Led Zeppelin VS Deep Purple

Which band do you prefer?

• Total voters

E-Z

Reaction score
No contest DEEP PURPLE the 1970s version of DEEP PURPLE that is and not the current day imitation of the band.

Ritchie could blow Jimmy off the stage any night of the week back in the 1970s.

E-Z

Porch Monkey

Reaction score
Tough one, but Led Zep for me overall, although certain DP tracks I rate possibly higher than anything the Zep did.

I guess being a blues fan, the stronger influence of that in LZ's music is what turns the trick for me. and is also the reason that "Lazy" by DP is a firm favourite. I like the folk influence of LZ too. But I also think that Page was a sloppy guitarist - he gets away with it because blues doesn't have to be note perfect perhaps. But if you put a guitarist with perfect intonation in LZ, I don't reckon it would work the same.

E-Z

Reaction score
You want to try listening to Deep Purple's Made In Japan live album from August 1972 through headphones the 'interplay' between each musician is absolutely stunning!!. It's early 1970s rock music played at exceptionally high standards of musicianship and it really didn't get any better!!.

E-Z

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's nothing Deep Purple has done that I really can say I dislike from any era of the band. Really only Coda and IV I give the least attention to by LZ but nevertheless I voted Deep Purple for more awesome albums.

Old School

Reaction score
I voted for Zeppelin although back in the day I liked Deep Purple better. I have come to appreciate the former much more the last few years. I agree that Deep Purple is an iconic band with some great music but I have never been a big fan of keyboards in hard rock. With DP they have been very prominent. I will say that I am going to listen to DP a bit more and see if my opinion changes. I saw them live in 02 when they toured with The Scorpions and I thought they were great. Never saw LZ live.

cuda440

Reaction score
Zeppelin no question. Deep Purple were better musicians and a great band, but Zeppelin overall just had better songs (and more of them) as well as a better variety. Not that it really matters but in terms of album sales, commercial success and overall influence and appeal Zeppelin destroyed Deep Purple.

Last edited:

Romulus

Reaction score
I think my avatar says it all. But I have great love and admiration for Led Zep as second best.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
25 to 25 and I voted for Zepplin because Deep Purple has a history of going through band members more than any other rock band

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online