Led Zeppelin (Official Thread)

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Just been watching a recording of Robert performing at Glastonbury. Did a version of 'Black Dog' which was un-recognisable from the original. Acoustic and introducing African rhythms. I loved it and so did the crowd. He's got a great band around him and I understand why he is not interested in the whole LED Zep reunion thing. He doesn't need it.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
Happy birthday Robert Plant!

Shame the new Led Zeppelin II and III remasters I ordered for my own birthday haven't arrived yet, it would have been nice to play them today to mark the occasion. I'm hopeful they'll be coming soon though, in the meantime I guess I'll just have to 'ramble on'...

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I was very lucky, my Led Zeppelin albums arrived the day before I went away - been listening to both since, well worth the wait in the end.

I do really like III, I like both the electric and acoustic aspects of the album, but I have got to say what a great album II is (or, if you prefer, give it a 'whole lotta love' :) ) - although IV is my favourite LZ album I think this one runs it a close second, not a weak track from start to finish. I can't really pick a favourite from it which reflects on how consistently strong this album is, and the mix of hard rock, blues and acoustic elements is just great. However, the set of guitar riffs on this album are incredibly hard to beat. It's rare enough to have one riff as good as those on Whole Lotta Love, The Lemon Song Heartbreaker, Bring It On Home and Moby Dick, let alone have them all on one regular album!

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
'Ultimate Classic Rock' have put together a List of 'worst to best' of Led Zep's albums. Personally, I wouldn't stray too far from the list, though I know there will be different opinions out there. Any thoughts?

With Led Zeppelin, the albums were always the thing. Their legacy, unlike Jimmy Page‘s antecedent group the Yardbirds, was built not on singles but on longform statements of purpose. Similarly, Led Zeppelin’s legend grew over an extended arc, as the foursome of Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham constructed a new alchemy from the rock-solid foundation of roots music.

Along the way, they’d stir in heavier sounds, delicate folk and Celtic influences, orchestral thunder and primal sensuality, as Page summed up their unboastful credo: ‘Ever onward.’ Only Bonham’s 1980 death could stop Led Zeppelin, which appeared to be on the crux of a never-finished final transformation with its pop-focused ‘In Through the Out Door.’

A full-circle compilation of more blues-focused outtakes, appropriately titled ‘Coda,’ ended their initial canonical run of recordings — one highlighted, defined but never limited to the strikingly diverse, 23-times platinum ‘IV.’ In fact, this determinedly album-oriented band’s catalog continues to yield intriguing new insights, as you’ll see as we rank Led Zeppelin albums, from worst to best.

9.'In Through the Out Door' (1979)

With Page and Bonham spiralling into substance abuse and booze, the other half of Led Zeppelin was left to piece together the group's latest iteration. The results, outside of the odd greasy groover like 'In The Evening' or 'South Bound Saurez,' often couldn't be any further away from the monstrous blues rock that Zeppelin had unleashed 10 years before. But they might have pointed to more chart success. Put another way, Plant's pop-leaning solo career began right here.

8.'Coda' (1982)

It's become almost mandatory to dismiss this odds-and-ends package issued after Bonham's death. Critics will tell you that its uneven, that it lacks focus. Go back, though, and 'Coda' uncovers the ferocious beating heart of Led Zeppelin after the sadly diffused period surrounding 'In Through the Out Door.' Rather than the sad goodbye that album might have been, 'Coda' reminded us of their now-lost greatness.

7.'Physical Graffiti' (1975)

This bloated set's best moments struggle to overcome the throwaway double-album debris that engulfs them. For every funk-filled joy like 'Trampled Underfoot,' there's 'Boogie with Stu.' The towering Eastern mysteries of 'Kashmir' grind to a halt for speed bumps like 'Black Country Woman.' Unfortunately, 'Physical Graffiti' can come off (like so many multi-disc sets of that era) like a kitchen-sink project in desperate need of a good plumber. There's a fantastic single-disc release in here somewhere, though.

6.'Presence' (1976)

If 'In Through the Out Door' belonged to Plant and Jones, then 'Presence' was a showcase for the others -- meaning a return to their bawdy early sound. Page unleashes a torrent of layered grooves, while Bonham brings his sticks down with teeth-splintering force on gems like the galloping 'Achilles Last Stand' and the coiled 'Nobody's Fault But Mine.' After a period of furious invention, and no small amount of rock star decadence, the grimy grooves of their initial period have a renewed sense of force and danger.

5.'Led Zeppelin' (1969)

There's no denying this set's heavy-blues immediacy, its sense of throwback menace, or even that it's one of the all-time great debuts in rock. But too much of the songwriting felt (and, in some cases, actually was) borrowed from the rootsy greats that inspired Led Zeppelin, and the album -- for all of its raw power -- only hints at their flinty ambition. For anyone else, this would have ranked higher, maybe even at No. 1. Not Zeppelin.

4.'Houses of the Holy' (1973)

Fresh off 'IV,' Led Zeppelin was clearly in the mood to stretch its legs. The result is a project as ambitious as any the group ever attempted. Of course, that remains its blessing and curse. Dotted with songs both unusual (the anthemic expanse of 'The Rain Song,' the strange sensuousness of 'No Quarter') and approachably fun, 'Houses' tended to anger those who wanted them to remain in a heavy-rocking box. Expectations aside, though, it showed there was nothing Led Zeppelin couldn't do. Unfortunately, its proximity to 'IV' likely doomed it from the start, and it's simply not as cohesive.

3.'Led Zeppelin III' (1970)

Largely overlooked in its day, principally because it was said to have moved too far and too quickly into Zeppelin's growing experimental curiosity. Still, this set of warm, more acoustically focused tracks -- while not the building-levelling delight of Led Zeppelin's first two albums -- works as a road map toward their growing facility with complex arrangements and inspired melodic twists. That, of course, is what eventually made 'IV' into a career-shifting triumph. This album, transitional though it may be, had to happen first.

2.'Led Zeppelin II' (1969)

Led Zeppelin begins to emerge from its own influences, setting a template for heavy-rock sounds that would stand for generations. A punishing touring schedule had hammered them into fighting shape and, with 'II,' they came out swinging. It remains a staggering wonder. That said, while there's still plenty of grinding blooze, Led Zeppelin begins to rapidly expand its sonic palette -- and it's in those moments that we sense the greatness to come.

1.'Led Zeppelin IV' (1971)

A singular achievement -- in rock, or anywhere else -- 'IV' ties together all of the exotic strands that transformed Led Zeppelin from brilliant musicians playing blues rock to brilliant musicians, period. A bold new vision framed by rock, folk, blues and classically tinged orchestral settings would creatively combine the best of everything they'd done through three albums -- reshaping the band's sound and its legacy forever. There's a reason this is Led Zeppelin's best known, most recognized project. Everything comes together right here.

That was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing. I thought placing Presence above Physical Graffiti was bloody weird though. To each their own. Also, I do not hate In Through The Out Door as much as many people do. I like how it showcased a variety of musical styles, similar to Houses.

My ranking would be something like this:

1. IV
2. I, II, III (impossible to rank these albums, they're all equally brilliant!)
3. Houses Of The Holy
4. Physical Graffiti
5. In Through The Out Door
6. Presence
7. Coda

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I really appreciate their interpretations of folk rock they did on "III" as they were influenced at the time by the marvelous works of Crosby,Stills and Nash(and sometimes Young).I always thought the double "Physical Graffiti" set was a very bold effort as,of course,it can be extrememly difficult to keep a listener engaged for such a length of time.The Beatles succeeded with The White album,Elton John did a splendid job with "Yellow Brick Road" and the mighty Zep certainly delivers the goods from beginning to end here,something some feel Pink Floyd didn't quite succeed in with their "Wall" project,making the rather valid claim that it runs out of steam a bit towards the end.But that's another page.With all the wonderful rock progressions Zeppelin achieved,I still prefer the first album as I feel it was the way nature intended them to sound.Remember,they were initially going to be called "The New Yardbirds" and I feel this record is where the Birds might have gone in had they stayed together.(Actually Yarbirds guitarist Chris Dreja was nearly IN Led Zeppelin,but felt there was no room for him in the band and went in photography instead.He took the photo on the back cover of the first Zeppelin album)

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I really appreciate their interpretations of folk rock they did on "III" as they were influenced at the time by the marvelous works of Crosby,Stills and Nash(and sometimes Young).I always thought the double "Physical Graffiti" set was a very bold effort as,of course,it can be extrememly difficult to keep a listener engaged for such a length of time.The Beatles succeeded with The White album,Elton John did a splendid job with "Yellow Brick Road" and the mighty Zep certainly delivers the goods from beginning to end here,something some feel Pink Floyd didn't quite succeed in with their "Wall" project,making the rather valid claim that it runs out of steam a bit towards the end.But that's another page.With all the wonderful rock progressions Zeppelin achieved,I still prefer the first album as I feel it was the way nature intended them to sound.Remember,they were initially going to be called "The New Yardbirds" and I feel this record is where the Birds might have gone in had they stayed together.(Actually Yarbirds guitarist Chris Dreja was nearly IN Led Zeppelin,but felt there was no room for him in the band and went in photography instead.He took the photo on the back cover of the first Zeppelin album)

III is so amazing! Was listening to it again a few days back. It is a contrast to II and IV and yet awesome in its own way!

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I agree about III, the only shame with the album was that it didn't include Hey Hey What Can I Do, which I think would have fitted in very nicely on side two of the album with the other folk influenced songs. History shows it was probably wasted as a B side for the Immigrant Song single, as it may well have resurfaced for Physical Graffiti. As much as like the Bron-Yr-Aur instrumental, I wish this and Hey Hey What Can I Do had been swapped, this song should have made one of their albums:

Hey Hey What Can I Do

I like the acoustic side of III a lot - Gallows Pole has tension, energy and an excellent arrangement (I also love it when Plant screams 'hangman, hangman'), That's The Way and especially Tangerine are compositions of beauty, with the former also possessing some moving lyrics and Bron Y Aur Stomp is a good fun song. I wasn't too keen on Hats Off To (Roy) Harper when I first heard it but it has grown on me.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online

No members online now.