Led Zeppelin (Official Thread)

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Led Passage...

Yep MP, Time just seems to just pass by in a blink of an eye...

1471170_10151865966941298_2010018745_n.jpg

December 11, 1969

Gold Record Awards - Savoy Hotel (UK)

"You seem to be gas rockets rather than Led Zeppelins", said Mrs. Gwyneth Dunwoody, Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Trade, who presented Led Zeppelin with Gold Record awards for sales of $5 million in the United States. Jimmy Page arrives late for the actual ceremony, due to a car accident on the M4.

John Bonham is interviewed in Melody Maker: "We try to record a lot when we're not doing gigs so we don't get stale. The awards are really great. Twelve months ago, I didn't expect we would get one. It's been complete chaos for us recently as Robert, John and I have all been busy buying houses and getting ready for Christmas. It will be the first Christmas at home for me with my son Jason (age three). Last year I was away and before that he was too young to know. He's music mad and I've bought him a great set of miniature drums. It's an absolutely perfect replica down to the bass drum pedal and hi-hat. Even I can play them. They are Japanese made and I saw them in a shop in Toronto. They weren't really for sale and were just on display. But I offered them a hundred dollars and bought them."

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Rocky Mountain Zep

45 Years Ago: Led Zeppelin Play Their First U.S. Show
by Matt Wardlaw December 26, 2013 8:00 AM

ledzep.jpg

Led Zeppelin made their North American concert debut in Denver on Dec. 26, 1968 as the first band on a three band bill that also featured Vanilla Fudge and Spirit, but as concert promoter Barry Fey recalls, it’s a milestone that almost happened in a different city.

Writing in his memoir ‘Backstage Past,’ Fey remembers getting the call from Vanilla Fudge’s booking agent Ron Terry a little more than a week before the show, asking him to add another group to the Denver date, which was already sold out. Fey refused at first, but Terry was persistent and said “Barry, this group is called Led Zeppelin, they’re going to be huge.”

Still unwilling to cave in, Fey got another phone call from Terry, who told him “Vanilla Fudge has agreed to take $750 of the money you were going to pay them and they’ll give it to Led Zeppelin if you’ll pay them $750, too.”

Considering this, Fey thought about the fact that Vanilla Fudge was offering to give some of their money to a group that “no one’s ever heard of, that’s never played in North America.” That must be something that’s worth taking a look at, right? He made the deal with Terry and booked Led Zeppelin for their first North American show for the now-unbelievable sum of $750 out of pocket.

Led Zeppelin did not disappoint the Denver crowd with their debut American performance. After introing the group, Fey watched the band deliver a stunning set. To this day, he’s still amazed that Spirit managed to go on after Zeppelin finished their show. He immediately saw the future success that the group would have. “You didn’t have to be a genius to know that Zeppelin was going to be a smash. Oh, my God. People were going crazy!”

The following morning, Fey got a phone call from Max Floyd, the program director at Denver’s rock station KLZ. “Who did you have on last night? Our phone lines are jammed!” Luckily, Fey had in his possession a copy of the band’s unreleased debut album, which he took over to the radio station. They immediately put it on the air, playing it nonstop that day.

The moment would never be forgotten by Robert Plant, who spent time backstage with Fey in 2011 following a concert performance in the area, reminiscing how important that Denver date and the subsequent radio play was to his old band’s early success.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
JPJ what a talent, here's to you on your birthday. :bow:

In The Light

May there be many more to come. :cheers2

Khor1255

Reaction score
I was listening to the ideas tape he did at Bron Y Ur last night. It is remarkable to hear so many un-fleshed out ideas.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online