L.A. Guns (Official Thread)

opera races

Reaction score
Other tracks from Cocked & Loaded:

Letting Go/Slap In The Face

I think L.A. Guns have played this the times I've seen them. From the album ...

Sleazy Come Easy Go

I'm pretty sure L.A. Guns performed this the last time I saw them. Come to think of it I think Cocked & Loaded had been reissued recently and that's why they were playing so many songs from the album including the more obscure ones.

Magdalaine

Give A Little

Cool tune that Phil's L.A. Guns have been including in their recent sets. This is the original album version.

I'm Addicted (Guitar Solo)

17 Crash

Showdown (Riot On Sunset)

Wheels of Fire

to be continued ...

opera races

Reaction score
"We all came to the conclusion that we were in fact the Hollywood Vampires because we slept all day and we were up all night and we never grew old and it wasn't so bad being a vampire after all."
-Phil Lewis

Hollywood Vampires

510ImfFSN5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1. Over The Edge
2. Some Lie 4 Love
3. Kiss My Love Goodbye
4. Here It Comes
5. Crystal Eyes
6. Wild Obsession
7. Dirty Luv
8. My Koo Ka Choo
9. It's Over Now
10. Snake Eyes Boogie
11. I Found You
12. Big House

I'm still collecting my thoughts on this album. Aside from the music itself I don't actually know that much as far as the story behind the album, how it was received at the time, etc.

A side note - There was a drinking club in Los Angeles called the Hollywood Vampires formed by Alice Cooper and other musicians in the early 70's. Has nothing to do with L.A. Guns but I found that interesting.

The guy who got me into L.A. Guns mentioned to me that on this album especially Tracii Guns seems to be heavily into a Jimmy Page phase. Jimmy Page is indeed a major Tracii Guns influence. I'm not good enough to work that out while listening to Hollywood Vampires but I find the guitar work on this album does stand out. I think Tracii is one of those guitar players who does not get a lot of formal recognition because he is/was not in a high profile band or one that is taken seriously by critics, journalists, guitar magazine types, etc. But I've noticed a number of guitar nerd types have respect for Tracii's guitar playing and he also lands squarely on my list of favorite guitar players.

There are official videos of some of the songs on Hollywood Vampires but for now I will leave off with these videos from a MTV/Daytona Beach thing the band did around the time Hollywood Vampires was the latest from L.A. Guns. Enjoy!

Some Live 4 Love (Daytona Beach 1992)

It's Over Now (Daytona Beach 1992)

to be continued ...

opera races

Reaction score
Ok, I had something happen to me today that I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, scream, or what. I guess this is good a spot to share/vent until ... well until ...

As I think I mentioned earlier, I have tickets to go see L.A. Guns (Phil, Steve, Stacey, Scotty) in December. Today I received my weekly e-mail from Ticketb*stard and saw listed a concert date for L.A. Guns the day after the show I have tickets for at a venue down the street. WTF???!!! I'm thinking because as far as I know L..A. Guns are scheduled to open for Dokken in another city in Florida on the same day. After much confusion it occurred to me to click on the "more information" link on the Ticketb*stard site and there was the explanation right there: L.A. Guns featuring Tracii Guns and Dilana. Well, I'm not going to go into my commentary on what *I* actually think about all this here. As I also mentioned before I have found this situation a bit stressful as a fan.

I'm still sitting on the fence as to whether or not I will go to this second L.A. Guns show. The first and only previous time I saw Tracii I think I mentioned his thing was still being billed as the "Tracii Guns Band" and I was ok with that. Initially I was sitting on the fence about whether to go to that show but then I saw a comment Tracii made at the time that "I just want to play my f*****g guitar" and I got what he was saying and decided to go. Besides, I knew it was about the only way I'd get to see Tracii play guitar live. I suspect a lot of people who attend Tracii's L.A. Guns shows go more to see Tracii play guitar than to see whatever band he has put together that week. I did a similar thing this past August when I went to a show billed as "Lynch Mob" but I went mainly to be able to see George Lynch play guitar. One of these days I will type up and post my write-up on that experience. Anyway, I did have a good time at the "Tracii Guns Band" show I attended in 2006. It was entertaining, Tracii was totally "on" that night and I even got to meet Tracii (and the other band members) afterward and got him to sign a CD booklet (from L.A. Guns Black List) and make it out to ME :D He was very cordial and cool with everyone that night as far as I could tell.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I used to have the Love Peace and Geese VHS..they should do a remaster DVD of that. There was some good stuff on it.

Always liked the videos for Never Enough and Some Lie For Love as well. Good songs to boot!

:cheers2

opera races

Reaction score
I used to have the Love Peace and Geese VHS..they should do a remaster DVD of that. There was some good stuff on it.

Always liked the videos for Never Enough and Some Lie For Love as well. Good songs to boot!

:cheers2
It is too bad they don't (or can't) release some sort of DVD package of both LAG videotapes. I'm pretty sure they can both fit on one disc ... and maybe even include some Hollywood Vampires videos and the one from Vicious Circle (more on that later). Anything you see on DVD right now is def. a bootleg and I've seen those floating around, even on ebay!

For now, that should be a project of mine! I've already been recording some of my rock video VHS tapes to DVD mainly to save on wear and tear on the video tapes, but only a direct transfer for now. What I really need to do is teach myself how to do the whole bit with creating menus, chapters, etc. Taking that first step is usually the hardest and knowing me I will go through a lot of trial and error, big learning curve, and absolute frustration before all of a sudden I totally get it and wonder what was so difficult about it in the first place lol.

opera races

Reaction score
Ok, time to leave the bizarro world of two versions of L.A. Guns in the present time and return to Hollywood Vampires!

Here's a few more songs from the album:

This is the "official" video for It's Over Now: I like the guitar parts on it.

Hmmm ... Kiss My Love Goodbye did have an official video made but I couldn't find a decent version on You Tube - all three I came across have some serious problem or other! Here is the band playing the song on the Arsenio Hall show.

I believe Crystal Eyes was intended to be a single in the vein of Ballad of Jayne ... but that didn't happen. Crystal Eyes is also on the Vicious Circle album - re-recorded? - I forget but it didn't manage to get released as a single from that album either! It is a very nice song though as far as ballad type songs go. There is no official video but here's one with the audio.

I know both current versions of L.A. Guns have been playing songs from Hollywood Vampires (and playing them very well) but for now in this thread I am trying to stick with the contemporary renditions of the songs.

Over The Edge was used on the soundtrack of the movie Point Break. I think it's just me but somehow I've always been put off by the very beginning of the song. Then once the song gets going it goes into some interesting lyrics and great guitar work by Tracii.

My Koo Ka Choo:

to be continued ...

opera races

Reaction score
I'm still collecting my thoughts on L.A. Guns' 1994 album, Vicious Circle, but here's what I have so far:

Vicious Circle

d72bb220dca05ec8aec62010.L.jpg

1. Face Down
2. No Crime
3. Long Time Dead
4. Killing Machine
5. Fade Away
6. Tarantula (instrumental)
7. Crystal Eyes
8. Nothing Better To Do
9. Chasing The Dragon
10. Kill That Girl
11. I'd Love To Change The World
12. Who's In Control (Let 'Em roll)
13. I'm The One
14. Why Ain't I Bleeding
15. Kiss of Death

As far as I know, Long Time Dead is the only song on this album that has an "official" video. Personally I think it's a kinda cool video .

to be continued ...

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
It is too bad they don't (or can't) release some sort of DVD package of both LAG videotapes. I'm pretty sure they can both fit on one disc ... and maybe even include some Hollywood Vampires videos and the one from Vicious Circle (more on that later). Anything you see on DVD right now is def. a bootleg and I've seen those floating around, even on ebay!
For now, that should be a project of mine! I've already been recording some of my rock video VHS tapes to DVD mainly to save on wear and tear on the video tapes, but only a direct transfer for now. What I really need to do is teach myself how to do the whole bit with creating menus, chapters, etc. Taking that first step is usually the hardest and knowing me I will go through a lot of trial and error, big learning curve, and absolute frustration before all of a sudden I totally get it and wonder what was so difficult about it in the first place lol.

It worked for RATT, KISS, Dokken and a few others...the combining of a couple old VHS releases in one package. Bonus features too. :grinthumb

Sir Kazual

Call Me The Superstar!
Reaction score
I have been an LA Guns fan since the debut album. I bought the debut before I even saw the first video or heard them on the radio. One look at the album cover, and I knew I had to buy the album.

I catch a lot of flak for saying this, but I think LA Guns debut is a better record than G 'n R's Appetite for Destruction. Based for three very important reasons: I love the record, and LA Guns debut doesn't have friggin' "Paradise City" and/or "Sweet Child O' Mine" on it.

My favorite song by LA Guns is "It's Over Now". Just a killer tune. I can listen to it back to back to back, and I get the same feeling every time those opening chords start.

It's too bad there are two LA Guns. I'd only go and see the Phil Lewis/Steve Riley version. I don't think I could tolerate very well hearing anyone else singing those songs but Phil. I look at Tracii's version as a cover band.

Ripandtearer

Reaction score
Rip and tear

Hello, anybody out there have a link to the original Rip and Tear music video? My wife was in it waaaay back when and we wanted to see it. She was in the beginning, the part where he rides his motorcycle. All the videos we can find have that part cut off.
Thanks

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online