Kurt Cobain

Her

Reaction score
jeansimmions_jr said:
i dont belive that he would have killed him self
i mean y would he if he had so much going for him

And yet another talented person who ruins their life.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I think they probably were so talented because they were screwed up from the start. It can't be a coincidence that all of the most talented people have huge problems.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Music Wench said:
They say there's a fine line between genius and madness.

You're probably right... but which is which? I'd say most of music's greats have been crazy.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
AboutAGirl said:
You're probably right... but which is which? I'd say most of music's greats have been crazy.
I wouldn't say most have been crazy. Creative types tend to be highly intelligent and seem to have a better capability of "thinking outside the box" so-to-speak. It may make them seem crazy or out there but I think they're just more able to step outside what is generally considered the norm more easily.

TheEvilErk2008

Hail the 80s!
Reaction score
outside my mind, in a little town called crazy
Personally i cant recall a nirvana song that was orignal, quality, or complex. Its style was supressive of all that prog and other rock had worked towards. He was not a genious, but just happened to get a lucky break cuase they were a bunch of pot heads. Drummer sucked, kurt was not a guitarist adn should not have even been allowd to touch one, and the bassist...well, not much can be said

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Music Wench said:
I wouldn't say most have been crazy. Creative types tend to be highly intelligent and seem to have a better capability of "thinking outside the box" so-to-speak. It may make them seem crazy or out there but I think they're just more able to step outside what is generally considered the norm more easily.

Maybe you're right... but what about all the drug problems that everyone from Coltrane to Hank Williams to Elvis to Jimmy Page to Ozzy to Kurt had? Seems like everyone who is at the top of their game is drugged out of their minds. Besides, you've got people like Jim Morrison who I certainly think was a genius but who was also violent. I agree that these are very intelligent people but I think their gifts make them crazy.

TheEvilErk2008 said:
Personally i cant recall a nirvana song that was orignal, quality, or complex. Its style was supressive of all that prog and other rock had worked towards. He was not a genious, but just happened to get a lucky break cuase they were a bunch of pot heads. Drummer sucked, kurt was not a guitarist adn should not have even been allowd to touch one, and the bassist...well, not much can be said

Oops I was unaware that music was a science. I guess "being a guitarist" requires playing boring pretentious music? And if Nirvana had much of anything to do with prog, then how come none of them played anything complex ever? One of the few things that makes me proud to live in this world is the fact that a bunch of unfathomably good musicians can manage to get a break and become uber-rich & famous. Nirvana played a style that the mainstream had never seen before. It was more primitive than almost anything that's made it into the modern mainstream, it was rawer than average, and it expressed humble, honest, pain-ridden emotions that captured the hearts of hundreds of people. Yes they had obvious influences, but so does Zep, Hendrix & everybody who's ever made a good record.

"The technical aspect [of music] is hogwash as far as I'm concerned" - Neil Young. :cool:

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
AboutAGirl said:
Oops I was unaware that music was a science. I guess "being a guitarist" requires playing boring pretentious music? And if Nirvana had much of anything to do with prog, then how come none of them played anything complex ever? One of the few things that makes me proud to live in this world is the fact that a bunch of unfathomably good musicians can manage to get a break and become uber-rich & famous. Nirvana played a style that the mainstream had never seen before. It was more primitive than almost anything that's made it into the modern mainstream, it was rawer than average, and it expressed humble, honest, pain-ridden emotions that captured the hearts of hundreds of people. Yes they had obvious influences, but so does Zep, Hendrix & everybody who's ever made a good record.

"The technical aspect [of music] is hogwash as far as I'm concerned" - Neil Young. :cool:
Very well said. Love the Neil Young quote as well. :cool:

TheEvilErk2008

Hail the 80s!
Reaction score
outside my mind, in a little town called crazy
After a while you get tired of all the propaganda ****, whcih most leading bands have, and nirvana did not have a jimi hidrix, or page, or bottom, or lennon, or van halen, or neil peart, or anything that siad that they could have someone improve upon a method. Sure, thats your point that these guys could make it, but that my point about green day, brittany spears, nirvana rip-offs and so on. Hundreds of average people who looked pretty, such a cobain, or would die for a chance at fame, such as cobain, are lined up to become famous. I do, and will always, give them respect in the fact that they changed mainstream music without that power other bands had that changed the world. But if this trend continue's where will music be going...down the drain. I dont have to like it, but it ****** me off that poeple FOCUS on this modern **** instead of seeing all of classic rock that came before them....and thats why im here. To restore balance to (whatever the hell doesnt sound like a starwars phrase).
"changes arent permanent, but change is" - neil peart

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online

No members online now.