KISS - Hotter Than Hell (1974)

Sir Kazual

Call Me The Superstar!
Reaction score
-XDsp4W5Sdsbvp8hZg2SrigA9dQDttVdfut2-Xq7LyHOzjSNxg.jpg

Hotter than Hell is far and away my favorite KISS album. The production gets ragged on by a lot of people, but I love the raw ambiance of the album as it flows through the speakers: very early Sabbathesque. Cleaning up the production would negatively affect how the album speaks to me.

Half of the songs on this record made it onto Alive! and were concert staples. The other half aren't filler either. I'd love to hear the album in its entirety played live by the original band.

"Got to Choose" starts the album off with sort of an angry guitar riff from Ace Frehley, followed by a thunderous bass line by Gene Simmons. Paul Stanley's lyrics are perfect. We've all lived this song at some point in our lives. Peter Criss' drumming is very economical, and his fills accentuate the angst of song.

"Parasite" is next with a biting riff by Ace and Peter's kicks up with a very jazz like beat. The bass line is very understated, but Gene's vocal is spot on and I'm not really a Gene Simmons guy. The songs he sings lead on are usually my least favorite on any KISS release. But for this album he really brought it which can be seen in the next track.

"Goin' Blind" is a very slow song. One might even call it a power ballad. They lyrical content is kind of creepy: a 93-year-old man in love with a 16-year-old girl. Peter is again economical with the drums on this song and his fills aren't a distraction. Paul sets a nice rhythm while Ace lays down a screeching lead and killer solo.

"Hotter than Hell"- The title track is melds all four member's instruments into a cohesive backing to Paul's lyrics. Everything fits perfectly together. While the song isn't about anything that would change your life, it didn't need to be. We've all seen someone who's drop dead gorgeous, and so the song makes sense in that regard. There's nothing wrong with a little indulgence now and then.

"Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll" is very straight forward. It's about what the title says: a guy who just wants to go rock 'n roll. Even after "Rock and Roll all Nite" dropped a year later, "Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll" closed all concerts even on the live record. While the former has become a classic rock radio staple, the latter is a much better song to me. It doesn't make me shudder when I hear it.

"All the Way" begins side two and picks up nicely where side one ends. While not a concert staple, the song rocks hardcore. Ace and Peter shine on this song and by now Ace's guitar sound is something he could call his own. He may not be technically the greatest guitarist, but he influenced so many guitarists to pick up the ax that he has to be recognized for patenting a sound that would become common place in the 80s.

"Watchin' You" is as a recognized KISS song as many of the "hits". The song starts with a powerful guitar lick by Ace. Between "Parasite" and this song they are my favorite Gene Simmons sung KISS tunes.

"Mainline" is a catchy tune, where Peter's vocal ability really shines. One thing that I've always enjoyed about songs where Peter was the lead singer on is that I could feel the emotion he was conveying. There's nothing not to like about this track. I wish I could hear it live.

"Comin' Home" works on this album and would have been out of place on any other KISS record. The guitar work and a drumming work in perfect harmony.

"Strange Ways" closes the album. This Ace penned song is probably my favorite song on the album. Nobody could sing this song but Peter. His raspy voice fits the lyrical content and the haunting guitar and bass add an eeriness that brings the whole song together. Somewhere on YouTube is a video of Peter joining Ace during a solo performance of this tune and they kill it.

Other than the opening track, this is the only song with a noticeable bass line. I think I have a pretty good ear for music, and I don't hear the bass during any of the other eight songs on the album. I kind of don't mind either.

That's my two cents on my favorite KISS album and my second favorite album released in the 1970s.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Re: KISS:Hotter than Hell (1974) - Album Review

Very cool review. My favorite Kiss studio album.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Agreed...very good album !! Got mine on red vinyl....got to agree with you about the musical production on the album. It always sounded a bit tinny on my old record players....but with songs like Parasite, the title track etc very strong.
Good to see a review on one of KISSs finest works :cheers2

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score

I remember getting this for Christmas.:)

The thing I love most about this album is Ace's work. It's not as raw as his work on their debut, but it's still just as gritty, and it's more aggressive.

If I had to describe Ace's solos on this album in one word?

Angry.

He doesn't get cute or fancy. Just comes right at you and plows you over.

For me, this album belongs to Ace.

Let Me Go, Rock And Roll, Parasite, and Watchin' You are my favorite cuts.

Oh, and I couldn't find Mainline live, but I did find this for you:

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score

hard to argue with this review. I might just break out my LP in honor of it!

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score

I'm listening to it right now.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
-XDsp4W5Sdsbvp8hZg2SrigA9dQDttVdfut2-Xq7LyHOzjSNxg.jpg

Hotter than Hell is far and away my favorite KISS album. The production gets ragged on by a lot of people, but I love the raw ambiance of the album as it flows through the speakers: very early Sabbathesque. Cleaning up the production would negatively affect how the album speaks to me.

First off, lemme say good review! :cheers2

Now to comment on your opening statements about the production. I completely understand people ragging on the production. It's pretty bad. When you compare it to the first album, it makes a person wonder if they tried to produce this album on the budget of a grocery store bagboy's check for 2 week's work. It sounds like they recorded most of this album in someone's hallway closet.

Regarding your last comment that I quoted above, I think that remastering this album now, after almost 40 years would do the album a disservice. You can't leave this album sounding like this for this long and expect to make it suddenly sound all shiny and new.

Now, aside from the production/recording value, the album itself is freakin' awesome! :bow: :woot:

Strange Ways, Watchin' You and Parasite are probably my 3 favorites on the album, with Goin' Blind coming in a very close 4th.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.