KISS: Glam rock or rock/ hard rock?

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Going just by the look, I'd say KISS is closer to Goth than Glam.

That's not to say they've never leaned towards the Glam, though. There's been quite a lot of twists and turns for KISS

Here's the Dynasty gear, also referred to as the Pajama Tour:

8216040972_8e1831469d_n.jpg

Here's the first look in the unmasked era, Lick It Up, better know as the "We stole Night Ranger's clothes" tour.

8214959095_dcf294ed9f_n.jpg

A few years later, Asylum, also known as the "We stole Bon Jovi's clothes" for this album shoot.

8216076494_c29a032798_n.jpg

That album cover is nothing compared to what they wore while actually out on tour for that album.

I give you, the "We stole our clothes from Madonna and Zsa Zsa Gabor" Tour.

8214973123_78b7d1b7d2_n.jpg

Last edited:

Khor1255

Reaction score
Yikes. A lot of glam rock is actually a type of hard rock. Kis and Sweet being closer to hard rock than most that can be considered glam. I remember a 70s article claiming Kiss was punk rock. No. They were never punk rock.

Chevelle

Protected Witness
Reaction score
I was never a fan of Kiss but I would not (and did not at the time) consider them to be a "glam" band.
To me, a seventies "glam band" was a group of guys with fluffy hair, bedroom eyes and pouty lips that tried to looked like chicks and usually played nothing more than mediocre rock music (the band Angel comes to mind).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
It's a fun question...I've always considered KISS more hard rock than glam. Play KISS Alive and it's a hard rock classic and one of the best Live records ever done.

Alice Cooper...he's like a chameleon it's hard to pin him down to any one genre. I'd classify him as "Theatrical Hard Rock with Metal Flourishes".:grinthumb

iDyxl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers!
But i have asked on other forums, many of them agree with you all, but i asked on a danish one, they all say that KISS is glam, only a few say that KISS is rock/hard rock.

How can that be?

iDyxl

Reaction score
Haha, good one :-D
But seriously, any ideas why danish people thinks KISS is glam, and everybody else thinks KISS is rock/hard rock?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Wooden shoes and hash bars?

That would be Holland not Denmark Khor.:D

I'm trying to think about Denmark's greatest cultural trait, other than producing Viking raiders nothing comes to mind...:think:

:heheh:

The only people who can answer why the Danish people you asked think KISS is a glam band are Danes iDyxl.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Listening to KISS since I was small I'm going with Hard Rock....their make up and stage show takes it into shock rock also IMO.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online