King Crimson (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The "King Crimson" Thread

Sal posted the follow up right above you Bryter, many people thought "Poseidon" was a part II of ITCOTCK, but I always liked it.

Bryter Later

Reaction score

....:bonk::bonk: I've been taking advantage of the gaps in 'Moonshine' !!:oyea:. Cheers L.G, off to e-bay later to get a copy :D.

:cheers2 Bryter.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Nothing I can add to that Bryter...:heheh:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

Personally I found Poseidon to be very different from ITCOTCK, despite what many listeners think. Cadence And Cascade is the most beautiful song I've heard from them yet, and Cat Food is another favourite, it's just a sizzling piece of jazz-rock. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I like their interpretation of Holst's masterpiece the most off that record.(They can call it "The Devil's Triangle" if they like but it is a reworking of Mars the Bringer of War.)

The critics just thought after the stunning impact of their first album KC didn't change things up enough on Poseidon, which is rubbish anyway.

Bryter Later

Reaction score

:grinthumb Just ordered a copy of 'In the wake....'. Look forward to giving this a listen :D.

:cheers2 Bryter

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

....Interesting thoughts and views on the classic ' ITCOTCK' on here. If your not a big fan of Prog' it will take a few listens to really get used to. Epitaph and the title track are the standout tracks for me. The spaces in Moonchild were probably laid down to allow the listener to 'roll another one and light up' as it was 1969 :D.

I also enjoy Larks Tongue in Aspic,but I have'nt heard too many KC albums.

What came after ITCOTCK guys ?, and is it any good ?.

Honestly, I get the humor in what you are saying and I'm smiling while typing this but on a serious note this is a criticism I've had with a lot of older music. I don't like the long jams, ambient noises that avoid melody or the probability of gaps just for a doobie that came out during the early eras! I like music as is and if a substance was required for enjoyment of any band that usually steers me away! Having said that I was able to enjoy the highlights of King Crimson fine and will listen further but it does spotlight some issues I've had with music. I listen to melodies in pop rock that build and build for 10 to 15 minutes but they are more often than not structured to flow concretely within the realm of the song and usually build on a flowing harmonious gorgeous melody (more often than not, piano) and I love them. Trippy and weird is cool if I can tell it didn't come from "Whoooooaaaa! I didn't know where I was but I just went with it and this is where I ended up! Cool man! That's a song!" :heheh: Hope you all take that as a tongue in cheek humor regarding my musical preferences! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^There are definitely more people smoking Pot now than in the 60's/70's Sooty...and your point about jams is true enough it can represent the worst excesses in any genre when a song goes on and on and on without really coming to a climax.

But I like the experimental bits and pieces that jar some people or put them off a particular song generally speaking. King Crimson is kind of the most unique prog rock band I can think of, Robert Fripp is the band, and over their long and distinguished career they have morphed into more different styles than anyone else I can think of right now.

Stick with the game plan and listen to Red and Thrak next, you will see a huge difference in the sound of the band. This is the best part of music, exploration of new or older music that can take you to unexpected heights of listening pleasure or convince you that it's not your cup of tea.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Oh I plan on it LG! :grinthumb My template for music is The Smashing Pumpkins so that definitely sets me up for liking or at least respecting any artist that changes styles with every album! :grinthumb

Bryter Later

Reaction score

:grinthumb Interesting views on this one. I fully understand your reasoning Soot about lengthy jams etc. The Grateful Dead are famous for that,but even they seem to lose themselves at times,until returning to the main structure of the song. Their classic 'Live/Dead' album shows them at their lengthy jam best. But I also have concerts were they are clearly just looking for a structure. Perhaps they had indulged a little too much on that evening.Early Deep Purple concerts have a long jams aswell,but with Richie in command they were always on the straight & narrow. I look forward to listening to the follow up to INTCOTCK:grinthumb.

And it's so good to have a laugh and enjoy good humour in these discussions :grinthumb.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online