King Crimson (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Any King Crimson Fans in the House?

Well I checked out In The Court Of The Crimson King this morning. It was a journey (as progressive is supposed to be) but I'd be lying it I said I didn't get lost along the journey on parts of it. I wouldn't say I'm a listener who has a low attention span at all but anyway, it was a real funky beginning and then it really slows down on I Talk to the Wind which I don't really understand the transition. That song was o.k. but it took me out of it and then the Pink Floyd like "Epitaph" brought me back. Actually "Epitaph" was the highlight of the album for me and it made more sense as a follower in that it started out slow like the prior song but started build into something bigger. "Moonchild" I admit is just not for me. It's like with The Mars Volta, I like when they get to the meat of there sounds but when they have the non-musical intros with the same abrasive noises over and over I don't dig it. It's more musical in "Moonchild" admittedly but that section from 2:30 on just is not my style at all. Parts of it lure me in like the melody at the 9 minute mark but the whole doesn't. I get that it's artsy but I like art until it crosses the line where it's not really aesthetically pleasing. I hope that doesn't sound like a dig against the artist. It's more what I try to get out of music against in relation to what they are doing. "In The Court of the Crimson King" is a great closer and is a bright spot for me. At this point, that is the most familiar sounding song as to what I've heard before but I appreciate the familiarity after the previous song. :heheh: In fact, the more I hear it the more I like that track. :) Not a bad album despite the small criticisms I gave. Besides that might change with more listens. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The "King Crimson" Thread

^^ITCOTCK is a grower Sooty, at least I found it that way. Most prog is similar, there is a lot to take in and very rarely do I put a definitive stamp on a record after one listen.(Not being a proggie snob here, just relating how I approach this genre in particular.)

If you continue the KC marathon...:D...I will be very interested when you get to "Red", what you think of the band.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

What do you think of the noises I talk about LG? For example, the "Moonchild" song I was explaining and a lot of Mars Volta moments! It seems to stop the album for me when they are barely playing anything during that one part and it takes up most of the song! Is there a reason that works for people?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

It's hard to pin down and quantify Sooty, part of the charm of that album was all the little bits and pieces scattered throughout the record, we had never heard anything like it and it broke a lot of barriers as far as what you could do on a rock and roll album.

I'll have to play it again later before I can answer your question in more depth.

I am betting you won't make it through "Larks Tongue In Aspic" if you get that far...then again you have done nothing but surprise and impress me with your passion and open mind when it comes to music in general.:grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Thanks LG! I'm get into my adventurous moods sometime and I saw Joe's list and said what the hell. A lot of the bands on his list had their own threads and it gave me a guide to go in the threads and actually have something to hopefully enjoy (always a risk with music but a fun one) and actually have something to contribute from a novice regarding particular artist! :grinthumb I won't lie but I don't think I'm going on a marathon with any particular artist but I'm enjoyoing the variety right now and soon enough my evil "New" music will pull me back! :lmao: It's fun exploring though! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

If that's the case jump to Red after listening to the debut again...and maybe Thrak after that one. You get to see the massive differences in KC over that time interval.

joe

Reaction score

If I can say one thing Soot, remember this album is from 1969. That's 40 years ago. It should be put in this context and relativity. Some what of an analogy would be comparing a computer from 1969 to 2010.

Look at the sub-genres of rock today from that year to today and also the technology now used in the music industry. Artists have so much more to draw from now as the did then though in some cases this has been paradoxical.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

You'll love Red Sooty, it's dark and edgy and just sublime!

Another album I really enjoy is In The Wake Of Poseidon :D

poseidon.jpg

Bryter Later

Reaction score

....Interesting thoughts and views on the classic ' ITCOTCK' on here. If your not a big fan of Prog' it will take a few listens to really get used to. Epitaph and the title track are the standout tracks for me. The spaces in Moonchild were probably laid down to allow the listener to 'roll another one and light up' as it was 1969 :D.

I also enjoy Larks Tongue in Aspic,but I have'nt heard too many KC albums.

What came after ITCOTCK guys ?, and is it any good ?.

:cheers2 Bryter.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online