Kate Bush (Official Thread)

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Hey great to see you here Tony :grinthumb

My favourites are her earlier albums, The Kick Inside comes a close second to The Dreaming :)

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
A strong woman, Kate had always managed to continue working as normal through past problems and crises, but the death of her mother was just too overwhelming. She had been left emotionally drained by the loss and simply couldn't sing, "..it was beyond me, it just hurt too much..." Kate said, "I couldn't work for months, I couldn't go near the whole process. I had no desire to start, no desire to work at all."

After taking some time out Kate continued with work on her next album, The Red Shoes and on 6 September 1993 Rubberband Girl, Kate's most commercial single in years, was released, one month ahead of the album release.

The Red Shoes

wmkz2g.jpg

Released 2nd November, 1993

Track List

01 Rubberband Girl
02 And So Is Love
03 Eat The Music
04 Moments Of Pleasure
05 The Song Of Solomon
06 Lily
07 The Red Shoes
08 Top Of The City
09 Constellation Of The Heart
10 Big Stripey Lie
11 Why Should I Love You?
12 You're The One

Highest UK chart position: 02​

Hannah's death obviously had an impact on the album, not in the fact that Kate openly wrote about it - the loss was still much too raw for that - but as Kate puts it,"the experience is there...being expressed through subliminal things, like the quality of some of the performances". We also see in some of the lyrics how Kate was feeling, such as the line from 'Lily', "life has blown a great big hole through me" or the one from 'Moments of Pleasure', "Just being alive it can really hurt".

Some say The Red Shoes is Kate's weakest album, that it's not as challenging, adventurous or as cohesive as her earlier works, whilst I do agree with this to some degree - some of the songs just aren't up to Kate's usual standard - I think given the circumstances Kate did a pretty good job. Not only was she still reeling from her mother's death, she also split from her long-term boyfriend, Del Palmer after fifteen years together. It was an amicable split and Del continued to work with Kate, nothing changed there, but any break up is difficult however amiable, it must have taken real strength to carry on with the album. You can hear the hurt she was feeling over this in the final song of the album, 'You're The One'. (Del and Kate have kept a close working relationship and friendship to date. Soon after they ended their romantic relationship Kate began dating Danny McIntosh, the guitarist who had replaced Alan Murphy, they are still together today and have a son, Bertie.)

103g8xu.jpg

I remember rushing out to buy The Red Shoes back in 1993, the week of its release, and whilst admittedly I wasn't overwhelmed I certainly wasn't disappointed. It's probably her most accesible album, certainly her 'poppiest' one. For me there are a couple of real gems on there in Moments of Pleasure and the title track. The rest I like enough, save one track which has to be one of the few Kate songs I really can't stand - Constellation of the Heart - it just sounds like generic bland 80's pop to me and irritates the life out of me!

Guest performers on this album aren't in short supply with Eric Clapton, Prince, Jeff Beck, Nigel Kenedy, Gary Brooker (singer/pianist with Procol Harum ), Trio Bulgarka all contributing, and not forgetting Michael Karmen who again helped out with orchestral arrangements.

Moments of Pleasure

The Red Shoes

Despite The Red Shoes not quite being up to par, it sold well and reached an all time US-high for her at no. 28, in UK it was pipped to the top spot by Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell.

I'll be honest, up until now I hadn't listened to this particular album in many years purely because it reminds me too much of a time when I was going through a lot of heartache and grief (ironic really since this is how Kate was feeling whilst making it). At that time I played The Red Shoes a lot, so subconsciously I made negative associations with it. Writing about it now, dusting it down and giving it a few plays again has rid me of that - purged the melancholia as it were, something I've found has happened with a number of other albums too thanks to this forum :)

The Line, The Cross And The Curve

V9zps.jpg

There had been talk of Kate possibly touring again, she had certainly been giving it serious consideration, but then she received the blow of her mother's death and it just never happened. Instead Kate decided to make a short film, 'The Line, The Cross And The Curve', inspired by the 1948 musical fantasy film - one of Kate's favourites - 'The Red Shoes'. The Red Shoes itself was loosely based on the fairytale of the same name by Hans Christian Anderson about a girl made to continually dance in a pair of red shoes that can't be removed and never stop dancing. The 45 minute film features six songs from her album and sees Kate acting, singing and dancing. She also wrote the script, directed it and basically was involved with the whole creative process. It's hard to not think this massive undertaking was an attempt to try and distract herself from all the pain and sadness that was going on in her personal life at that time.

The film premiered at the London Film Festival on 13th November and had, to put it politely, unenthusiastic reviews. Kate was quick to distance herself from it, reflecting afterwards that she shouldn't have done it as it was just too much to take on, saying, "I had the opportunity to do something really interesting and I completely blew it." In 2005 she is quoted as saying it's "a load of bollocks." :omg: :heheh: I saw the film around mid-90's and I'll just say I've never had the urge to watch it again!

Soon after the premiere of the The Line, The Cross And The Curve, Kate spent a short time in America promoting the new album and the film, then returned to UK utterly exhausted and in much need of a break. She hadn't really given herself enough time to grieve and try and come to terms with the distressing things she'd been through the past year. Making music for now was very much off the agenda and would take a back seat for some time to come...

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I drank a cold beer while enjoying your latest Kate post Tray:hab:...top shelf as always.

:tup:

I am gaining a whole new respect for her as I follow along in your thread.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Oops, I can't believe it's so long since I last updated this :peek So best get on with it :D

Around the mid 90's Kate moved to the countryside, buying a former mill house, a 14-roomed listed building, which she had renovated to suit her needs. The studio at Wickham Farm was dismantled and taken to the mill house and Kate had her own dance studio installed. She moved into her new home with her partner, Danny Mcintosh, and this became their primary base until moving to the cliff-top house in Devon (complete with boathouse and private beach - sounds absolutely idyllic :)) where they still reside.

Contrary to popular belief Kate didn't scuttle off to her rural retreat, live like a hermit for twelve years and then suddenly resurface in the mid 2000's. 1994 saw her still promoting her last album and her film, and during the year she also made a few short pieces of music to accompany Coco-Cola's psychedelic-themed advertisement for their new drink 'Fruitopia'. The following year Kate contributed to a friend's compilation album: Donal Lunny's 'Common Ground - Voices of Modern Irish Music', released in 1996, singing 'Mná na hÉireann' (meaning Women of Ireland) entirely in Gaelic.

Mná na hÉireann​

Kate was still out and about enjoying a social life, from helping Dave Gilmour celebrate his fiftieth birthday to dining with Robert De Niro and Bob Geldoff after a Van morrison concert, to attending the Royal College of Art, London, to work on a bronze sculpture inspired by Billie Holiday.

104rlf8.jpg
'Strange Fruit'

The sculpture was auctioned to raise money for the charity War Child and sold for £600. Kate said of her artwork: "Billie Holiday is one of my favourite singers. She is still a great inspiration. I sang with a band when I was eighteen and always wore a flower behind my ear to be like her: I felt it brought me luck. This sculpture shares it's name with one of her favourite songs. I've tried to depict her mouth in mid-song growing among the flowers."

Around this time Kate had started putting ideas down and recording demos for her next album, until work took a back seat with the arrival of Kate and Danny's son, Bertie in July 1998. Kate wanted to focus solely on her son - motherhood was a much more important job than music making (as she once said) - so took a few year's break from working. Bertie's arrival was kept from the media for as long as possible so that he could have a normal and private life, and it wasn't until Peter Gabriel let it slip in an online interview in 2000 that Kate had become a mum that the general populus found out! Ridiculous tabloid articles followed with headlines like 'The Secret Son of Kate Bush', hinting that this was abnormal behaviour and again trying to paint her as some sort of weirdo, one even comparing her to Miss Havisham (Charles Dickins' Great Expectations) :rolleyes:

jzw6fm.jpg

Autumn 2001 Kate made a public appearance at the Q Awards and won the Classic Songwriter award. She received a standing ovation from the audience, largely made up of fellow celebs and people from the music industry.

The beginning of the following year Kate made her first live performance in nearly fifteen years. Joining Dave Gilmour on stage at one of his concerts, they performed Comfortably Numb. I found this on YouTube - rather fuzzy vid but thought it was still worth posting :)

May 2002 Kate received an Ivor Novello award for 'Outstanding Contribution To British Music As A Songwriter', thanking everybody she said, "It’s so special to be thought of as a songwriter. This means so much to me, I’ll really treasure this.”

Aerial

1427t6u.jpg

Released 7th November, 2005

Track List
A Sea of Honey
01 King of the Mountain
02 π
03 Bertie
04 Mrs. Bartolozzi
05 How to Be Invisible
06 Joanni
07 A Coral Room

A Sky of Honey
01 Prelude
02 Prologue
03 An Architect's Dream
04 The Painter's Link
05 Sunset
06 Aerial Tal
07 Somewhere In Between
08 Nocturn
09 Aerial

Highest UK chart position: 03​

It had been twelve years since Kate's last album release so you can imagine the excitement and anticipation surrounding this release! I, for one, couldn't wait, and literally counted off the days :)

Like her 1985 album Hounds of Love, Aerial is divided into two - a Sea of Honey is made up of six unrelated tracks, whilst A Sky of Honey is a conceptual suite describing a contented day outdoors from sunrise until sunrise the following day. Birdsong is scattered throughout A Sea of Honey and fills the opener, Prelude, setting the scene for a tranquil day. Kate was once asked if she had a favourite singer, to which she replied, "the blackbird" and on the track Aerial Tal we hear her imitating her favourite singer's song :) As an aside, the pattern running across the centre of the album cover which looks like a mountain range reflected in the sea is actually blackbird soundwaves.

Off the wall tracks like Mrs Bartolozzi and Pi made me smile when I first heard them - I don't think many people could get away with singing about washing machines (as in the former song) or crooning a long list of numbers!

Whilst there are things that I appreciate about Aerial - mainly the intriguing lyrics and the serene and relaxed atmosphere the concept side conjures - I think I am in the minority in the fact that I don't love this album. Much as I've tried to love it, it just doesn't grab me like her earlier work, to me the songs seem to plod and her voice has been tamed in comparison (gone is the unabandoned wildness and energy which I so love), it's just that bit too 'easy listening' for me, if that makes sense.

The sole single release from the double album, King of the Mountain - a song inspired by Elvis Presley and the persistant rumours that have been around for years that he is still alive somewhere - is my favourite.

Follwed by How To Be Invisible

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Kate has been awarded a CBE for her services to music in the Queen's New Years honours list.

Of the accolade Kate said: "It's a great surprise and I'm really delighted. Thanks to everyone who's encouraged and supported my work over the years."

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Dusted off my copy of The Kick Inside and I've been listening to it recently. It's an okay album but there are certain songs I simply cannot get into no matter how much I listen to them! :heheh: But I do enjoy Moving, Saxophone Song, Strange Phenomena, The Man With The Child In His Eyes (the clear favourite here!) and Wuthering Heights. Don't know about the rest.

Other than that one, I have Hounds Of Love and Sensual World, which I both love! I need to get maybe The Dreaming next...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.