Kate Bush (Official Thread)

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Re: Kate Bush

Okay so I am continuing this thread as before :)

I recently finished reading an excellent Kate Bush biography, 'Under the Ivy: The Life & Music of Kate Bush', by Graeme Thomson, which I wholly recommend. This too will be a valuable reference point for the thread from here onwards.

So where were we? ...Ok, 1986 and after the release of the compilation album, The Whole Story...

The Whole Story is Kate's best selling album to date, with in excess of six million copies sold. A video compilation was released at the same time, inlcuding all the songs on The Whole Story plus the video for The Big Sky, a track from Hounds of Love.

Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel at The Brit Awards, February 1987,
when they both won their respective categories - Best British Female and Best British Male.

Early 1987 Kate was asked to write a song for an upcoming romantic comedy film called She's Having a Baby, the result, written in next to no time, was the very moving and beautiful This Woman's Work.

In March Kate and a number of other British & American musicians, including Paul McCartney, Gary Moore and Mark Knofler, came together as 'Ferry Aid' to record Let It Be to support the charity set up during the aftermath of the Zeebrugge disaster.

The year saw Kate make a couple of high profile appearances, the first in April at The Secret Policeman's Third Ball, where she performed Running Up That Hill with Dave Gilmour on guitar and backing vocals, and the second as a surprise guest at a Peter Gabriel concert in June (during his 'So' tour) joining him to sing Don't Give Up, much to the crowd's delight.

Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush & David Gilmour

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush, live at Earl's Court, London​

July 30th the following year Kate hit thirty and spent her birthday doing charity work with a number of other celebrities - helping out as shop assistants at a boutique in London to raise money for an AIDS charity. A few weeks later she appeared on the BBC's Rough Guide To Europe choosing her favourite places in London.

By this time work on Kate's next album was in full force, around 18 months had passed but it was nowhere near ready for release yet. Kate was still mulling over ideas and one of those was to, for the first time, collaborate with other female singers. The singers she had in mind were a group of three woman know as Trio Bulgarka who sang Bulgarian folk music. In August Kate flew out to Bulgaria to meet the trio and they joined her in London a few days later to record on three of her songs. All four ladies also did a segment for the BBC series Rhythms of the World.

Kate and Trio Bulgarka

Here's something I found on YouTube, I assume it's from the aforementioned BBC series - it begins with an interview with Yanka Rupkina, one of the Trio Bulgarka, with Kate appearing a little later.

Work on the album continued until May 1989, and it was finally released in the autumn of that year. Just ahead of the album the single The Sensual World was released, entering the charts at 12, but slipping down again straight after.

The Sensual World

The Sensual World

Released 16th October, 1989

Track List

01 The Sensual World
02 Love and Anger
03 The Fog
04 Reaching Out
05 Heads We're Dancing
06 Deeper Understanding
07 Between a Man and a Woman
08 Never Be Mine
09 Rocket's Tail
10 This Woman's Work
11 Walk Straight Down the Middle (CD bonus track)

Highest UK chart Position: 2​

Kate said the album was "all about relationships" and saw it as "a strong expression of positive female energy". We do have an album of relationships of different kinds - from lovers, child and parent 'The Fog' (Kate's father provides dialogue) to a woman finding solace and friendship from her computer 'Deeper Understanding' (to say this was written pre-internet age makes you think Kate is some kind of seer!). I think Graeme Thomson sums it up perfectly in his biography: "if The Sensual World has any unifying theme, it is the intrinsic human need to connect to something or someone." It is a very emotionally-charged album moving from one mood to another, with all the ups and downs of emotions relationships bring. From the erotic title track, inspired by James Joyce's character Molly Bloom's closing soliloquy in Ulysses, to the energetic, catchy Heads We're Dancing, a strange, dark tale of a woman in 1939 who spends the evening dancing with an enchanting stranger, only to find out the following day that the man was Adolf Hitler 4qjDt.gif, there are certainly some lyrically interesting songs!

An array of top musicians guest on the album including Dave Gilmour (I particularly like his input on Rocket's Tail), violinist Nigel Kennedy, Celtic harpist Alan Stivell, Davy Spillane (Uillean pipes and whistle) to name a few, with orchestral arrangements by Michael Kamen.

The Sensual World failed commerically to match the huge success of The Hounds of Love, probably due to receiving very little radio play and Kate being only willing to do the minimum amount of promotion, but it still sold well achieving over 500,000 sales in the US and over 1,000,000 in UK.

The album isn't one of my favourites from Kate, there are a couple of songs on there I feel like hitting the skip button on, a couple that kind of just wash over me, a few I really like and two I love, so a mixed bag for me really. I've already posted one favourite, This Woman's Work, the other song on the album I think is brilliant is Rocket's Tail, the use of the Trio Bulgarka on this track works so well and adds an extra special touch, their voices are hauntingly beautiful and gel with Kate's perfectly.

Rocket's Tail​

And I can't help but like this one, despite being about tripping the light fantastic with Hitler!

Heads We're Dancing

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

^^^ Exellent read Tray, I really enjoyed the song Rocket's Tail. Strange but it kind of put me in mind of some of the gear Page and Plant knocked out a few years later on the No Quarter album.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Very well done Tray...:tup:

I have a fondness for Bulgarian folk music myself. I even know a bit about the history behind the women singing to their men who were off tending their flocks.:D

I agree with Sox, Rocket's Tail sounds great.

I couldn't help but notice she has released a new record a while back, but won't disrupt your Kate Tribute thread by jumping the gun.;)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I have the first 5 seasons of the original SNL and she was a musical guest one year on one show.

It was a trippy performance. :grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Thanks Sox & LG :grinthumb

Yes, LG, Kate released a new album, 50 Words For Snow in November, which, fingers crossed, may be in my Xmas stocking :)

MP, yeah Kate's performances are always super-trippy!!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I Almost picked up her newest album...but I will wait for the "Official Report" by our resident scholar Tray73 before I decide.;)

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Good to hear you are considering a Kate purchase LG :grinthumb

On with Kate's story...

Three days after the release of Sensual World Kate's guitarist of ten years, Alan Murphy died of pneumonia at just 35, weakened by the AIDS virus. Kate and her camp were all shocked (even though Alan had looked unwell few knew the nature and seriousness of his illness) and devastated.

More bad news came the following year when one of Kate's longtime dance partners, Gary Hurst, passed away at the end of January. Like Alan he had died through complications arising from AIDS and at a young age - he was only 31. It was another big blow for Kate.

October 22nd 1990 saw the release of This Woman's Work: Anthology 1978–1990, an eight disc box set of all her albums to date plus a collection of B-sides, remixes, rarities and live tracks. (How I'd love to get my mitts on this for the B-sides and rarities, but the cheapest I've seen it is just shy of £160 for second hand :omg:)

AlzR0.jpg

Contents

Disc 1 - The Kick Inside ~~ Disc 2 - Lionheart ~~ Disc 3 - Never For Ever ~~ Disc 4 - The Dreaming ~~ Disc 5 - Hounds Of Love ~~ Disc 6 - The Sensual World

Disc 7 - This Woman's Work: Volume One

The Empty Bullring
Ran Tan Waltz
Passing Through Air
December Will Be Magic Again
Warm And Soothing
Lord Of The Reedy River
Ne T'enfui Pas
Un Baiser D'enfant
Under The Ivy
Burning Bridge
My Lagan Love
The Handsome Cabin Boy
Not This Time
Walk Straight Down The Middle
Be Kind To My Mistakes

Disc 8 - This Woman's Work: Volume Two

I'm Still Waiting
Ken
One Last Look Around the House Before We Go...
Wuthering Heights (New Vocal)
Experiment IV
Them Heavy People (Live)
Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake (Live)
James And The Cold Gun (Live)
"L'Amour Looks Something Like You (Live)
Running Up That Hill (12" Mix)
Cloudbusting (The Organon Mix)
Hounds Of Love (Alternative)
The Big Sky (Meteorological Mix)
Experiment IV (12" Mix)​

Here's a couple of personal favourites of those B-sides

Under the Ivy (B-side of Running Up That Hill (Deal With God))

My Lagan Love (B-side of 12" version of Cloudbusting)​

Kate felt the box set marked the end of an era as she would never again work with Alan or Gary. Their deaths had deeply upset her and she took six months off to do 'nothing', unusual for Kate as during her breaks work was never far from her mind, jotting down ideas for songs and the like. She had always been "a bit obsessive about [her] work" (as Kate put it), but during this time she discovered there was a part of her that loved the freedom of a complete break.

It was mid 1990 when Kate started writing again, working on her next album, The Red Shoes. The year also saw Kate appear in the comedy tv show, 'The Comic Strip Presents..' playing a bride in an episode called Les Dogs.

H2aXm.jpg

On to 1991, and Kate's cover of Elton John's Rocket Man was released in December, the first single from the album 'Two Rooms', a tribute to the work of Elton and Bernie Taupin. The album included the likes of Eric Clapton, The Who, Tina Turner, Joe Cocker, Rod Stewart, Jon Bon Jovi & The Beach Boys. Reactions to Kate's reggie-tinged Rocket Man were varied, some hated it, some loved it, some were simply bemused by it, I personally think it's great, and in 2007 it won The Observer Readers' award for Greatest Cover of all time!

Rocket Man​

However at this time Kate had more on her mind than music. Her mother, Hannah, was seriously ill with cancer and sadly died two months later on 14th February 1992.
Kate's whole world collapsed.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Another top drawer post about Kate's long and winding road Tray.

I have seen that box set myself, but not being a huge fan never considered picking it up. Have to say I like Elton's original much better than her cover, but that's the first time I've ever listened to it which isn't really fair.;)

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Thank you, you're very kind :)

Yes I still prefer Elton's original, but as far as cover versions go I personally think she did an excellent job.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^So you never did say whether you got her new album for Christmas or not...:hm:

And if yes without disrupting your Magnum Opus to all things Kate what did you think of it?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online