Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wheels of Fire was my favourite.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Whatever...I'm not blaming him solely for those albums being poor. I never said anything that placed blame on anyone but I don't like his wanna be "brutal", as he called it once, vocal performance in either bands ..he can't hold a candle to either vocalist, IMO. The song writing reflects that fact and I don't think Ripper is a big name ..he has some notoriety
from replacing Rob and then Matt both of which failed miserably in MANY peoples eyes (and ears) .

I see you see everything in $$$ which is typical of media but I seriously doubt that is Iced Earth's / Jon's sole reason for doing ANYTHING musically or he would have been doing AOR flavored radio friendly/ and or trendy crap from the beginning or at least by now

BTW, It's obvious that money was the motivation for JP's jump on to the industrial flavored/ kiddie radio trend of the week bandwagon . Rob's return fixed that w/ the far superior Angel of Retribution album.

Bottom line ..you have your opinion ..(right or wrong)

and I have mine (right or right) :heheh:

Over and out

I'm listening to Jugulator now and I don't hate it. But it's not better than Angel of Retribution or Nostradamus IMO.

But the main reason I quoted you here was the Live In London DVD. I watched that not too long ago as I haven't gave that thing a viewing in a while, and I hated that moment on stage, where the band get's done doing Metal Gods and A Touch of Evil . At that point, Ripper is like, "Ok now for something a bit more brutal"...needless to say I cringe for him there every time. :heheh:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I'm listening to Jugulator now and I don't hate it. But it's not better than Angel of Retribution or Nostradamus IMO.

But the main reason I quoted you here was the Live In London DVD. I watched that not too long ago as I haven't gave that thing a viewing in a while, and I hated that moment on stage, where the band get's done doing Metal Gods and A Touch of Evil . At that point, Ripper is like, "Ok now for something a bit more brutal"...needless to say I cringe for him there every time. :heheh:

Yeah, he said the same thing when I saw them in LA
I was thinking "whatever dude". when he said that :rolleyes:
He did a good job but in no way was he anything close to Rob's performance of the same Priest songs I saw Rob do with his band Halford.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Have to agree he comes across as rather arrogant, personally I think every single Halford album shits on the 2 Ripper Owens albums.

Exactly, for him to even try to compare himself to The Metal God in a favorable light is not only arrogant but it's outright laughable and shows a lack of class,IMO.

Angel of Retribution is an underrated ( mostly by critics ..whoever cared what they say about ANYTHING ) CD. It's friggin' great, IMO. So many killer songs on there ..the whole thing ROCKS.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
He gets the high notes for sure, but Halford is better with all the rest, with or without highs. It's the style, flow and character.

Again Ripper is good, but just doesn't have all the feeling that Rob does, as well as all the additional melodic touches that Rob is able to find on the spot every night..

At the end of the day, that's what is more important.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
He gets the high notes for sure, but Halford is better with all the rest, with or without highs. It's the style, flow and character.

Again Ripper is good, but just doesn't have all the feeling that Rob does, as well as all the additional melodic touches that Rob is able to find on the spot every night..

At the end of the day, that's what is more important.

He also missed a lot of the highs when I saw them live , actually worked around them would be a better way to put it because he sang it different and didn't try to hit some of them, I saw Rob hit those same notes with ease on the same songs. Rob has a better all around voice AND hits way higher notes live then Ripper, from what I saw. And I was right there standing really close to both of them with both ears wide open. I think Rippers flash of fame and praise has gone to his head and made him dizzy.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
He also missed a lot of the highs when I saw them live , actually worked around them would be a better way to put it because he sang it different and didn't try to hit some of them, I saw Rob hit those same notes with ease on the same songs. Rob has a better all around voice AND hits way higher notes live then Ripper, from what I saw. And I was right there standing really close to both of them with both ears wide open. I think Rippers flash of fame and praise has gone to his head and made him dizzy.

He also missed a lot of notes on the 98 Live Meltdown double record they did for CMC. That one was rough to listen to at times.

As for Ripper being arrogant and developing a big head, I am going to sound like a broken record but I blame the remaining Priest guys who brought him into the band.

The Priest guys brought him in, used him on two studio records, two live recordings that I know of (including a double live), promoted him as the new face of the band, praised him to the moon, etc.

Obviously Tipton and Company aren't going to tell the guy he sucked or anything, which means it is understandable that they gave him positive reinforcement about his performance, but being in a legendary group like Judas Priest and getting praised regularly by the guys who brought you in would have given darn near any lead singer a really big head.

Rob's a million times better IMO, but I think Ripper has held his own pretty well professionally for someone who used to play in bars and clubs with a tribute band.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online