Joe Satriani (Official Thread)

Hardnecker

Reaction score
Re: Joe Satriani

I've got everything he's done and have been a fan since Not Of This Earth. One of the few that combines elite technique with melody and emotion. He also played with Mick Jagger on his solo tour in the 80's and played with Deep Purple live in the 90's. Seen him several times and met him in West Palm Beach in 2000. He's nice as can be.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

1998 saw the release of "Crystal Planet" and the first ever recording where Joe used a 7-string guitar.

B0000062GK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V37083474_.jpg

This song will put you in 7-String heaven

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

My knowledge of Joe Satriani is pretty limited but what I like ..I love..

it took me forever to figure the title of this song/and it's my favorite Joe Song so far..what a gifted musician :):cheers2:grinthumb

THE CRUSH OF LOVE :

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

^I love The Crush of Love. I always like to listen to his songs played live for some reason. Like with Summer Song, that whole thing before he even starts the song is fantastic, with the bass following behind him and all that. I love it.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

^I love The Crush of Love. I always like to listen to his songs played live for some reason. Like with Summer Song, that whole thing before he even starts the song is fantastic, with the bass following behind him and all that. I love it.

Me too ...:grinthumb

he has a really amazing passion in his playing..the records are lovely..but watching him play live..is really engaging :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Me too ...:grinthumb

he has a really amazing passion in his playing..the records are lovely..but watching him play live..is really engaging :grinthumb

Definitely. I'm hoping sometime before he quits touring, he'll make his way to Seattle. That'd be a show worth seeing. :grinthumb

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

I've never seen Satch in concert, but have seen a couple of concert DVDs. Good stuff. The guy is one of the most talented guitarists to ever walk the planet. And from any interview I've read or seen, he seems to be a very down-to-earth kind of guy.

The G3 stuff is pretty cool as well. Always seem to be him, Steve Vai and a 3rd guitarist (quite a few people have filled the #3 spot).

Here's part of the vid from G3 - Live in Tokyo. Satch, Vai and John Petrucci doing Smoke on the Water.

Honestly, I ALMOST like this better than the original.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

^A friend of mine lent me the Live in Tokyo DVD, that was actually my first exposure to Steve Vai. I had heard of Petrucci beforehand because I was listening to Dream Theater prior to borrowing the DVD. I love it though, especially their cover for Smoke on the Water, which you posted. The vocalist is great, and all 3 guitarists do a wonderful job.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Yeah, I agree. All three kicked ass on their solo spots, but personally I think that Satch did the best. The reason being not because he was the flashiest, in fact just the opposite. Vai and Petrucci were both flashier in their solo spots, but what I think Satch did was keep true to the song while adding his own flair in... and doing so without going overboard. Not that the others did, but I just think he did it just right.

Great version of Smoke though. :bow:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Yeah, I like that about Satch a lot. He doesn't need to move around a lot and play the crowd to get them riled up, he can play his music, and just stand there if he wanted to and if I were at a concert, I would still be going crazy. The guy is easily one of the best guitarist I have heard. My brother has a friend who met him, and he said he is indeed a pretty laid back dude like you said a few posts before. And I would assume he would be, he always looks so happy when he's playing on stage.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online