Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Joe "Satch" Satriani

Joe_Satriani_2005-by-chascar.jpg

joe_satriani_5.jpg

Joe Satriani Official Website

I felt it was time we gave some praise to a fantastic music artist this month and not a whole band. Satriani deserves the praise.

Joe Satriani has been around since the 1980’s and has made a nice spot for himself as one of the greatest guitarists to ever grace the stage. Joe began playing guitar at the age of 14, and began teaching guitar in 1971. Joe has taught some of the greatest guitarists: Steve Vai, Kirk Hammett, David Bryson, and Larry Lalonde (just to name a few).

Joe stormed into the music world in 1986 with his self titled debut and since then has had 15 grammy nominations (all without winning) which makes him the second most highly decorated guitarist in history. He has worked with the best guitarists, bands, and musicians, too: Mick Jagger, Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult, Dream Theater, Petrucci, Malmsteen, Brain May, Robert Fripp, Deep Purple, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Michael Schenker, Uli Jon Roth, and many others.

Joe is one of the driving forces behind the supergroup Chickenfoot and the innovator behind G3, which is a tour designed for a trio of guitar instrumentalists. G3, which began in 1996, is an annual tour which features a select chosen 3 guitarists from each year. The 1996 tour featured Satriani, Steve Vai, and Eric Johnson.

Joe has released a host of solo instrumental albums:

• Not of This Earth (1986)
• Surfing with the Alien (1987)
• Flying in a Blue Dream (1989)
• The Extremist (1992)
• Time Machine (1993)
• Joe Satriani (1995)
• Crystal Planet (1998)
• Engines of Creation (2000)
• Strange Beautiful Music (2002)
• Is There Love in Space? (2004)
• Super Colossal (2006)
• Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock (2008)
• Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards (2010)

And Joe has participated in numerous musical collaborations with others making him one of the most successful guitarists and instrumentalists in recent rock history.

So without further adoo, I will introduce you to his debut album:

Joe_Satriani-Not_Of_This_Earth-Frontal.jpg

Joe_Satriani_-_Not_of_This_Earth.jpg

Not of this Earth was released in 1986. Joe financed this album on a credit card and released it on Relativity Records and the CD release came out in 1988.

note the electronic drums being used

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Artist for November 2010 ~ Joe Satriani

The sophomore release, which IMHO didn't fall to the curse of the second release, came out in 1987. This album strongly sealed Satriani's reputation as an outstanding guitarist.

SATCD012.jpg

Joe proves with this album you don't have to be a guitarist to enjoy his music. He definitely recorded this album for the fans......so rock on!

the longest song on the album

:oy:

b.o.b.

Reaction score

Great choice for the artist of November. I like Joe Satriani so much and I will listen to him a lot this month :grinthumb. My favorites albums are Flying in a Blue Dream and The Extremist. I remember a hot summer night back in 1993 lying down on the grass in my grandparents orchard, watching the stars and listening The Extremist audio cassette on my old walkman :bow:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I still love the Satch Boogie video and song...one of my favorites...seems like yesterday when I first saw it on MTV...and recorded it. Remember MTV?? :heheh:

Yeah...but that's a good one. Nice November spotlight!!

:cheers2

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Here is a video of the G3 tour from 1997. (the video is incorrectly labelled 1996)

Satriani on guitar and vocals
Stu Hamm on bass
Jeff Campitelli on drums

I also thought you would enjoy this video of Kirk Hammet before Metallica recorded their first album versus his teacher, Joe Satriani.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

More Satriani sightings:

Joe had the pleasure of playing with the late great Stevie Ray Vaughan on VH1's Blues Unplugged.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

The_Satch_Tapes.jpg

This DVD is definitely a must have for any Satriani fan. It is a fantastic documentary of Satch's life in music. It contains all kinds of promotional videos of songs like "Stach Boogie", "The Extremist", "Big Bad Moon", and "Summer Song".

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

Oh Yeah, love, love ,love Joe! :grinthumb These are some of my favorite songs by him.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have some "Joe" in the house, but I am not a huge fan of instrumental guitar rock usually. Some exceptions of course and Magic has posted my favorite album already, "Surfing with the Alien", great album cover art on that one.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online