Joe Satriani (Official Thread)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Artist for November 2010 ~ Joe Satriani

Not all of Satch's albums and songs are purely instrumental, LG. This is the beauty of his work, you get some great instrumental work along with some vocals, too.

Satriani's 3rd release of 1988, only has a few instrumental tracks, the rest all contain vocals by Satriani.........he is also a very gifted vocalist. This album also shows off Satch's other instrumental talents on the harmonica, keyboards, and banjo.

114151_1_f.jpg

This song is featured in the movie Say Anything

[grooveshark]25045470[/grooveshark]

This song has vocals and a great bluesy rhythm

[grooveshark]25045474[/grooveshark]

Joe's father passed away during the making of this album, and this song is a tribute to his father

[grooveshark]25045476[/grooveshark]

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I only have his first three albums, and have played them once maybe and that was a long time ago...except for "Surfer..." I have listened to that one the most.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I have all his albums, and his latest release is fantastic. I will post that one when I get that far into his discography.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

The Extremist, released in 1992. This album is Satch's most successful album.

Joe_satriani_the_extremist_1997_-1.jpg

Summer Song, this song is the most popular off the album and has been used in Sony commercials, numerous car commercials, and the movie "Gran Turismo 4

War, you may recognize this song as a promotion for the Power Rangers

A beutiful dedication to his wife, Rubina

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

1993, the release of "Time Machine" a double album which contains some studio footages as well as some old recordings.

album-time-machine.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I am going to take a step back in time just a bit to 1988. Joe has done numerous collaborations in his career and in 1988 he worked with Blue Oyster Cult. Joe performs the lead guitar on a song off BOC's album "Imaginos"

BlueOysterCultImaginos.jpg

also in 1988, he performed on Stuart Hamm's solo album, "Radio Free Albemuth". He performed the electric guitar on 3 songs: Radio Free Albermuth, Sexually Active, and Flow My Tears. (sorry couldn't find any videos just some grooveshark links). Stu Hamm is a sessions bassist, I hope you give the links a listen he is a really good bassist :)

StuartHammRadioFreeAlbemuth.jpg

[grooveshark]25045488[/grooveshark]

[grooveshark]25045491[/grooveshark]

[grooveshark]25045492[/grooveshark]

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That's news to me, I guess I should have checked the credits on Imaginos a little more closely. A few months ago we were talking about that record in the BOC thread, and it was nearly universal that is was not one of their best, according to us. But critics seem to think it was one of the Hardest Rockin' records BOC ever released, I'll have to play it again now just to satisfy my curiosity.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

It is a concept album, LG. From what I have read, BOC began working on this album in 1972, after the release of their first album. The drummer for BOC, Albert Bouchard, began writing the songs but the album got released after he left the band.

Probably one reason the album didn't get the attention is because this was released when the band was past its peak, infact I believe this was the final album before the band went Poof for a while.

I didn't listen to the album personally, until I started doing my research for Satch...and I can say, the album is great. It has some true "heavy metal" moments

:cheers2

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Satch released his self-titled album "Joe Satriani" in 1995. This album is a bluesy instrumental album without all the special sound affects of his previous albums.

album-joe-satriani.jpg

Joe wrote this song after having a nightmare, the title describes his dream

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Re: Joe Satriani

Bumpbumpbumpbumpbump

I remember my first exposure to Satriani. It was the G3 DVD with him, Vai, and Petrucci. All are fantastic guitarists, but when I finally started to dig into albums by Satriani, Summer Song was the one song that stuck out the most. It's still one of my favorite songs to listen to when I need an uplifting song to listen to.

Not to mention, he's a pretty fine lookin guy:

joe-satriani-if-i-could-fly-copyright-infringement-lawsuit.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online