Jimi Hendrix Experience (Official Thread)

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Jimi Hendrix Official Website
Jimi Hendrix Youtube Channel
Jimi Hendrix Memorial and Official Family Website

The condensed bio of Jimi Hendrix from Wikipedia

James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix (born Johnny Allen Hendrix; November 27, 1942 – September 18, 1970) was an American guitarist, singer and songwriter. He is often considered to be the greatest electric guitarist in the history of rock music by other musicians and commentators in the industry, and one of the most important and influential musicians of his era across a range of genres.

In 1966, The Jimi Hendrix Experience was formed in England. The band featured Jimi Hendrix on guitar, bassist Noel Redding and drummer Mitch Mitchell.

The first Jimi Hendrix Experience album, Are You Experienced, was released in the United Kingdom on May 12, 1967 and shortly thereafter internationally, outside of USA and Canada. It contained none of the previously released (outside North America) singles or their B sides ("Hey Joe/Stone Free", "Purple Haze/51st Anniversary" and "The Wind Cries Mary/Highway Chile"). Only The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band prevented Are You Experienced from reaching No. 1 on the UK charts.

Reprise Records released the US and Canadian version of Are You Experienced with a new cover by Karl Ferris, removing "Red House", "Remember" and "Can You See Me" to make room for the first three single A-sides. Where the (Rest of the World) album kicked off with "Foxy Lady", the US and Canadian one started with "Purple Haze". Both versions offered a startling introduction to the Jimi Hendrix Experience, and the album was a blueprint for what had become possible on an electric guitar, basically recorded on four tracks, mixed into mono and only modified at this point by a "fuzz" pedal, reverb and a small bit of the experimental "Octavia" pedal on "Purple Haze", produced by Roger Meyer in consultation with Hendrix.

Although very popular internationally at this time, the Experience had yet to crack America, their first single there failed to sell. Their chance came when Paul McCartney recommended the group to the organizers of the Monterey International Pop Festival. This proved to be a great opportunity for Hendrix, not only because of the large audience present at the event, but also because of the many journalists covering the event that wrote about him. The performances were filmed by D. A. Pennebaker and later shown in some movie theaters around the country in early 1969 as the concert documentary Monterey Pop, which immortalized Hendrix's iconic burning and smashing of his guitar at the finale of his performance.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience's second 1967 album, Axis: Bold as Love was his first recording made with a view to a stereo release and was where he first experimented with this format, using much panning and other stereo effects. It continued the style established by Are You Experienced, but showcased a profound use of melody, along with his well-known technical virtuosity, with tracks such as "Little Wing" and "If 6 Was 9". The opening track, "EXP", featured a stereo effect in which a ruckus of sound emanating from Hendrix's guitar appeared to revolve around the listener, fading out into the distance from the right channel, then returning in on the left. This album marked the first time Hendrix recorded the whole album with his guitar tuned down one half-step, to E♭, which he used exclusively thereafter and was his first to feature the wah-wah pedal and on 'Bold As Love' was probably the first record to feature the stereo phasing technique.

Hendrix's third recording, the double album Electric Ladyland was released in 1968. Hendrix began experimenting with different combinations of musicians and instruments, and modern electronic effects. For example, Dave Mason, Chris Wood, and Steve Winwood from the band Traffic, drummer Buddy Miles and former Bob Dylan organist Al Kooper, among others, were all involved in the recording sessions. Electric Ladyland includes a number of compositions and arrangements for which Hendrix is still remembered. These include "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" as well as Hendrix's rendition of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower".

The last Experience concert took place on June 29, 1969 at Barry Fey's Denver Pop Festival, a three-day event held at Denver's Mile High Stadium that was marked by police firing tear gas into the audience as they played "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)". The band escaped from the venue in the back of a rental truck which was partly crushed by fans trying to escape the tear gas. The next day, bassist, Noel Redding announced that he had quit the Experience.

To replace Redding as bassist, Hendrix had been rehearsing and recording with Billy Cox, his old and trusted Army buddy.

In August of 1969, at the Woodstock Festival, festival MC Chip Monck introduced the band as "The Jimi Hendrix Experience", but Hendrix quickly corrected this to "Gypsy Sun and Rainbows, for short it's nothin’ but ‘A Band Of’ Gypsies" and launched into a two hour set. The band, unused to playing large audiences and exhausted after being up all night, could not always keep up with Hendrix's pace, but in spite of this the guitarist managed to deliver a memorable performance, climaxing with his highly-regarded rendition of the The Star-Spangled Banner,[99] a solo improvisation which is now regarded as a special symbol of the 1960s era.

Later on in 1969, Hendrix chose to record a live album,Band of Gypsys.

Band of Gypsys were Billy Cox and drummer Buddy Miles (formerly with Wilson Pickett and The Electric Flag). Hendrix wrote and rehearsed material which they then performed at a series of four concerts over two nights, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day at Fillmore East. The second night produced the material for the Band Of Gypsys LP, which was produced by Hendrix (under the name "Heaven Research").

Early on September 18, 1970, Jimi Hendrix died in London under circumstances which have never been fully explained. According to surgeon John Bannister, the doctor who initially attended to him, Hendrix had asphyxiated in his own vomit, mainly red wine which had filled his airways, as the autopsy was to show.

Source: Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Quite an extensive write up on Jimi's meteoric rise to fame and tragic early death. I respect Jimi a lot but only have two of his albums, "Are You Experienced" and "Electric Ladyland".

Nice of you to plant the Hendrix banner in the pen Groovy Man.:tup:

Last edited:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I have had the three studio albums on vinyl since I was a kid. just about worn the grooves out. The Experience were something else and the sound is still stunning. I often wonder what Jimi would have done with the technology thats available now had he lived.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Brill thread Groovy Man, I have a number of his albums, one springs to mind, " War Heroes ", a comilation that included some excellent tunes like, " Three Little Bears " and " Peter Gunn Catastrophe " what a classic some ground breaking riffs and lyrics. I was introduced to this album by a very good friend of mine, now not available after all the court cases about his music.

0352f704b24efbfa1bad61381fafac59_full.jpg

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I found that album Sweaty, I'll get back to you once I have a chance to listen to it. Thanks for the heads up.:cheers:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

I often wonder what Jimi would be doing these days if he still was alive.. A total shame he left so early in his career..
I had a musician friend who told me he thought Hendrix was a OK musician..
I guess if your can play then you see some faults that others don't.
But I spin Hendrix often just to enjoy the uniqueness of his style..I only wish I could make my guitar talk like he did..
This is a favorite of mine..
MP Edit: Youtube video removed by the user/ Cannot re locate
Bad ground feedback..:rolleyes:

Good old Buddy Miles plays on drums...

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online