Jimi Hendrix Experience (Official Thread)

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
Re: The Jimi Hendrix Experience

I was reading somewhere recently that Noel Redding was one of the few bassists that could "keep up" with Jimi's guitar playing and could almost "second guess" what he would be playing next if he went off into some guitar free-fall improvisation. Just proves IMO what an under-rated bassist he was.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

I was reading somewhere recently that Noel Redding was one of the few bassists that could "keep up" with Jimi's guitar playing and could almost "second guess" what he would be playing next if he went off into some guitar free-fall improvisation. Just proves IMO what an under-rated bassist he was.

Noel was a lead guitarist who auditioned to play with Jimi with the understanding he would become a bass player. I'm sure over time they got tight, but Noel wanted to do more country oriented solo work, and couldn't handle the long, undisciplined studio hours.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Noel Redding used to play in a little bar in Klonakilty in southern Ireland for twenty years, I signed the book of condolences. What a great musician and of course a great bar, I see the record company is cashing in on the new Hendrix album with yet more newly remastered CD's of his albums with new pictures and notes and probably a free pair of his socks included. Like the Murphy's i'm not bitter.

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score

Fat Mattress - Noel Redding.:grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

I always liked Cry Of Love. "Angel" is among my favs. I wore out my copy of Axis, Bold As Love years ago. I would speculate that Jimi would have explored the Jazz-Rock fusion, guitar focused music genre as the 70's rolled in.
Cry Of Love was a great album! "Angel" was a great ballad, but I also liked the rockin' tunes like "Freedom", Straight Ahead", "Ezy Ryder" and "In From The Storm".

I believe you are right about Hendrix' interest in exploring Jazz. I heard the same thing in a radio interview program back in the 70's.

Fever

Reaction score

I am going to see the Experience Hendrix show in Durham NC on March 28.The lineup includes Billy Cox,Joe Satriani,Robert Randolph,Jonny Lang,Kenny Wayne Shepherd,Brad Whitford,Living Colour,Ernie Isley and Chris Layton of Double Trouble.Susan Tedeschi is playing a few dates.

http://www.experiencehendrixtour.com/

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

I am going to see the Experience Hendrix show in Durham NC on March 28.The lineup includes Billy Cox,Joe Satriani,Robert Randolph,Jonny Lang,Kenny Wayne Shepherd,Brad Whitford,Living Colour,Ernie Isley and Chris Layton of Double Trouble.Susan Tedeschi is playing a few dates.

http://www.experiencehendrixtour.com/

Wow - this sounds great, but no New York shows as of yet. A lot of top notch musicians. Very cool.

awesome, thank 70s Guy! :grinthumb

shauntole

Reaction score

I saw Jimi at Monterey a few days ago - wow, what a great gig, Jimi is definitely one of the best guitar players who ever walked on earth. The versions of Wild Thing and Like A Rolling Stone are amazing, the guitar burning scene is music history.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.