Jimi Hendrix Experience (Official Thread)

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
As obviously and tremendously well gifted Hendrix was,I really wish people would exhibit more appreciation for the awesome backing rhythm section that comprised Noel Redding on bass and Mitch Mitchell on drums.I believe these men were more than a small degree responsible for the overall Hendrix sound.Let's put the matter in this light.Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce's talents were hardly completely overshadowed by Clapton,so exactly why has time at least seemingly forgotten about the potent contributions of Redding and Mitchell n regards to the Hendrix recordings?For me,particularly the case of Mitchell,who laid down many astonishing drum fills.Playing drums behind Hendrix and having it serve quite well within the parameters of Jimi's musical visionary intentions certainly must have been quite the daunting task indeed.There had to be SOMETHING special about him and Redding on bass to be declared talented enough to serve as his backers.I despise seeing great talent going underappreciated..................

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Totally agree with you HGM. I always thought there was an interesting correlation between Double Trouble and Hendrix's backing rhythm section. A lot of people sing praise for SRV (rightfully so), but Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon often got the short end of the stick standing in the shadow.

As to the Experience, I always thought Mitchell was an incredible drummer (classically and jazz trained). He was quite humble as well. His fills are very reminiscent of Ginger Baker's to me, who also adored jazz drummers.

Redding was a good bass player, but I always felt he was a bit over ambitious. He was definitely a "journeyman" who felt the Experience was a stepping stone to his own solo career.

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Mitch Mitchell would be one of my favourite drummers. On an aside, I also love Charlie Watts (Stones) drumming :grinthumb

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Can't believe he played in Chesterfield in the 60's.

You were born too late Sweaty! :pullhair: It seems crazy now that a guitar god like Jimi would have been playing in Chesterfield. He got big very quickly in this country. But I honestly think he was the type of guy who would play anywhere. He just loved his music.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
You were born too late Sweaty! :pullhair: It seems crazy now that a guitar god like Jimi would have been playing in Chesterfield. He got big very quickly in this country. But I honestly think he was the type of guy who would play anywhere. He just loved his music.

I was born too late, and it winds me up sometime, I have seen so many bands but wish I had been the right age in the 50's, 60's and 70's.:wa

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Who were some of the bigger artists in Britain in the 80's and 90's?Was punk rock still fairly fashionable into the 80's there.I'm fairly sure punk was more popular there than here across the pond................

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online