Jethro Tull (Official Thread)

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
Re: Jethro Tull

Divinities - 12 Dances With God (1995)

IanAnderson-Divinities-Front.jpg IanAnderson-Divinities-Back.jpg

Ian Anderson was approached by EMI about writing and recording an album of classical music and this is the result. A truly magnificent collection of instrumental music on the themes of Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism and Islam, concepts that, in part, Ian Anderson has written about in the past with such compositions as My God.

It is a staggering body of work and definitely not a Jethro Tull album in any sense of the word. In truth it is, at least for me, a unique master work and one that relates on all levels. One moment you’re listening to a piece of music that could be classed as “new age”, the next it’s music that would be not be out of place as a film score.

It is a must have album if you like “world music“. Ian Anderson’s flute playing is breathtaking, Andrew Giddings supplies just the right amount of orchestral backdrop to the music, Doane Perry adds percussion with his usual flair and session players (listed below) are used where needed to “flesh out” the music. In The Grip Of Stronger Stuff went on to become a regular fixture in the Jethro Tull set list and other stand out tracks include En Afrique and In A Stone Circle although in truth all the music is worthy of such praise. There is so much to admire about this album.

Divinities went to number 1 in the “Classical Crossover Chart” in Billboard magazine.

1. In A Stone Circle
2. In Sight Of The Minaret
3. In A Black Box
4. In The Grip Of Stronger Stuff
5. In Maternal Grace
6. In The Moneylender's Temple
7. In Defence Of Faiths
8. At Their Father's Knee
9. En Afrique
10. In The Olive Garden
11. In The Pay Of Spain
12. In The Times Of India (Bombay Valentine)

All music composed by Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson: concert and bamboo flutes
Andrew Giddings: keyboards
Doane Perry: tuned and untuned percussion
Douglas Mitchell: clarinet
Christopher Cowrie: oboe
Jonathon Carrey: violin
Nina Gresin: cello
Randy Wigs: harp
Sid Gander: french horn
Den Redding: trumpet

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I have the Instrumental album Ian did with David Palmer and orchestra doing covers of Tull songs, but I didn't pay attention to this album at all.

I will officially put this one on my list Jeffrey.:grinthumb

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score

Seems to be little response to the Ian Anderson solo albums but I'll post the overviews of his final two and see what happens :bonk: :D

The Secret Language Of Birds (2000)

IanAnderson-TheSecretLanguageOfBirds-Front.jpg IanAnderson-TheSecretLanguageOfBirds-Back.jpg

So after twenty years of waiting, this was to be the Ian Anderson solo album that fans had been waiting for and was recorded in the spring and summer of 1998 at Ian Anderson's home studio. Full of those musical nuances that only Anderson can compose, it is an album full of intricate and frankly breathtaking music. It is extremely difficult to pick out any individual tracks but for me Postcard Day, Set-Aside, The Habanero Reel and Panama Freighter are highlights although on another day it could be any of the others. Martin Barre plays on two tracks - Boris Dancing and The Water Carrier - and Andrew Giddings is present throughout the album. If you like the acoustic Ian Anderson, this is an album to own.

Boris Dancing featured in the Jethro Tull set list for sometime after the album’s release and Set Aside was featured in Ian Anderson’s solo tour of North America & Canada in 2010.

1. The Secret Language Of Birds
2. The Little Flower Girl
3. Montserrat
4. Postcard Day
5. The Water Carrier
6. Set-Aside
7. A Better Moon
8. Sanctuary
9. The Jasmine Corridor
10. The Habanero Reel
11. Panama Freighter
12. The Secret Language Of Birds, PT. II
13. Boris Dancing
14. Circular Breathing
15. The Stormont Shuffle

Ian Anderson: vocals, flute, acoustic guitar, bouzouki, acoustic bass guitar, mandolin, percussion, piccolo
Andrew Giddings: accordion, piano, organ, marimba, percussion, electric bass, keyboards, orchestral sounds
Martin Barre: electric guitar
Gerry Conway: drums
Darren Mooney: drums
James Duncan (Anderson): drums

Rupi’s Dance (2003)

IanAnderson-RupisDance-Front.jpg IanAnderson-RupisDance-Back.jpg

Named incidentally after a young black cat of his, Ian Anderson’s fourth solo album follows on from The Secret Language Of Birds. It’s a pleasing set of songs with hints of eastern European and Celtic influences and there are some great compositions on the album but maybe just one or two “fillers”. Whether you regard the instrumental Griminelli’s Lament or the song Lost In Crowds as wonderful or a bit drab (and I for one go with the latter thought), songs such as A Week Of Moments, A Raft Of Penguins and Rupi’s Dance are up there with the better Ian Anderson compositions. It’s a solid performance, not quite as good as it’s predecessor but well worth a listen.

Martin Barre plays on the bonus track Birthday Card At Christmas which was used to promote the Jethro Tull Christmas album. Ralitsa Vassileva is a newsreader/reporter on the cable TV channel CNN.

1. Calliandra Shade (The Cappuccino Song)
2. Rupi’s Dance
3. Lost In Crowds
4. A Raft Of Penguins
5. A Week Of Moments
6. A Hand Of Thumbs
7. Eurology
8. Old Black Cat
9. Photo Shop
10. Pigeon Flying Over Berlin Zoo
11. Griminelli’s Lament
12. Not Ralitsa Vassileva
13. Two Short Planks
14. Birthday Card At Christmas

Ian Anderson (vocals, guitar, acoustic guitar, mandolin, flute, bamboo flute, wooden flute piccolo, accordion, bass guitar, percussion)
Andy Giddings (keyboards)
Martin Barre (electric guitar)
John O'Hara (accordion)
David Goodier (bass guitar)
James Duncan, Doane Perry (drums)
George Kopecsni, Ossi Schaller (guitar, electric guitar)
Gábor Berán, Gábor Csonka (violin)
Gyula Benkö (viola)
András Sturcz (cello)
Patrick Olwell (bamboo flute)
Phillip Hammig (piccolo)
Laszlo Bencker (piano, mellotron, keyboards, moog synthesizer)
Leslie Mandoki (drums, percussion)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have Rupi's Dance Jeffrey, but the other one is new to me, but I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of Ian's solo works. I will try to find a copy of Divinities 12 Dances with God, but so far I have come up empty.

(It's a busy time of year for a lot of people but keep posting, I enjoy the quality and effort you put into yours.:cheers:)

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score

Season's greetings and a happy New year to all the Jethro Tull fans here and to the membership of the Classic Rock Forum in general. Have a great time and I look forward in anticipation to 2011.

:sgreet:

Last edited:

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score

^^I have the Instrumental album Ian did with David Palmer and orchestra doing covers of Tull songs, but I didn't pay attention to this album at all.
The album "A Classic Case" is a strange one in many ways. In reality it is a Dave/Dee Palmer release with Tull songs performed by The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted and arranged by Palmer. Ian Anderson, Martin Barre, Dave Pegg, Peter Vettesse and Paul Burgess (drums) play on the album but it's really orchestral arrangements of Tull songs. The arrangements sound a bit "flat" to my ears but what it does have in its favour is the final track, purely orchestral, of Warchild which is welcome as it never had an official release, in this form, at the time of the Warchild album.

Jethro-Tull-Classic-Case.jpg

Locomotive Breath (Instrumental)
Thick As A Brick (Instrumental)
Elegy (Instrumental)
Bourée (Instrumental)
Fly By Night (Instrumental)
Aqualung (Instrumental)
Too Old To Rock 'n'Roll: Too Young To Die (Instrumental)
Teacher / Bungle In The Jungle / Rainbow Blues / Locomotive Breath(Instrumental)
Living In The Past (Instrumental)
Warchild (Instrumental)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I wish you and your family the best this holiday season Sir Jeffrey...:cheers2

I have that one, I bought the vinyl when it came out, but like you mentioned it really did not leave a lasting impression...perhaps I should dig it out and give it a couple more spins to see if I have changed my mind...:think:

(I do have a copy of "The Secret Language of Birds" now, so I'll play it later today.:D)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Thought I'd put this up Jeffry from the Divinities album you mentioned Haunting stuff.. :cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online