Re: Jethro Tull

Today listening to this ..

Driving through this ..

A good way to enjoy Tull.:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Following "Catfish Rising" came "Roots to Branches" released in 1995, and it's another good album. Some critics feel after Catfish...this is the bands best release since Heavy Horses...but I have my own opinions about Jethro Tull's recordings and how they stack up in my collection. After playing Roots to Branches for the first time in ages this morning I really enjoyed it. A little bit of everything on this one, which just reinforces my passion for Tull even more. Such a variety of styles they can draw upon, either old or new and pull them off with gusto. Seriously I have a hard time thinking of any other band that started in the late 60's that has accomplished what JT has, continued to record and experiment and tour while maintaining their standards.

The title track, "Roots to Branches".

6ycoys.jpg

28lxg85.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Another cracker of an album from Tull, they make it look easy .. :cheers2

Dead Video

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

You are right about them making it look easy.

I have missed some live and compilation albums along the way, and only have one more studio album to do. After that Jeffrey has offered to do Ian Anderson's solo albums which is great, I always enjoy his perspective on all things Tull. Then anyone else can add whatever we missed along the way.

This will be the best thread I have ever participated in when it's "Officially" complete, and I owe that to all my fellow Fanatics that have made it so much fun to read and post in over the last few months.:cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I was very impressed and played it twice yesterday Jeffrey, that's the main problem with having so much music to choose from in the library never enough time to give every album the attention it deserves, and I had forgotten about this one.:bonk:

Kuaizi

Reaction score

LG, this is one of the few studio albums I am missing from my Tull collection (along with A and The Christmas Album). Seeing as you guys are giving it good reviews, I'll have to track it down for sure!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

It's a good album Kuaizi, it has so many elements of Jethro Tull's unique sound on it, I was having flashbacks when I played it yesterday.:grinthumb

"A"...I had it on vinyl and again after listening to it when I posted the album I enjoyed it even though it is more of an Ian Anderson solo album than a Tull recording.

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning

It's a good album Kuaizi, it has so many elements of Jethro Tull's unique sound on it, I was having flashbacks when I played it yesterday.:grinthumb

"A"...I had it on vinyl and again after listening to it when I posted the album I enjoyed it even though it is more of an Ian Anderson solo album than a Tull recording.
And of course, A was going to be the first solo album, but such is the stuff of legends.

I would guess that quite a few non Tull fans on hearing Roots for the first time would have gone "** hum". It's not an easy album to get into on one listening imo, but like a lot of recordings by artists where they are not out to get a no. 1 hit where they have to record catchy/singalong songs, Roots requires you to sit down and let the music seep into you.

I saw a couple of concerts on the Roots tour and went with a friend who is heavily into Tull. He hadn't had the time to buy the album but remarked that he thought the new music was "not up to standard" but a few months down the line after buying Roots and spending quality time with it, he was positively enthusiastic about it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Staff online

Members online