Jethro Tull (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Jethro Tull

I can see buying multiple vinyl LPs tracing a favoured artist's career, but being a dinosaur from aeons past I just can't see tracing an artist's career through individual CDs. As a result, I don't have any of Jethro Tull's CD only releases. With that in mind, would this CD be a good one for me to get to keep me appraised of what the fellows have been doing in the last twenty years?

86ae9833e7a0e83d424e3110.L.jpg

:huh:

This double CD has a great collection of his whole illustrious career Kino. Here is the song list, courtesy of Jeffrey.:grinthumb

It's a 2 cd release, cd 1 covers 1968 - '74 with the usual fare. Cd 2 is from 1975 - '91.
Disc 1
1."A Song For Jeffrey" - 3:19
2."Beggar's Farm" - 4:19
3."A Christmas Song" - 3:07
4."A New Day Yesterday" - 4:09
5."Bourée" - 3:46
6."Nothing Is Easy" - 4:23
7."Living In The Past" - 3:21
8."To Cry You A Song" - 6:15
9."Teacher" - 4:01
10."Sweet Dream" - 4:02
11."Cross-Eyed Mary" - 4:09
12."Mother Goose" - 3:53
13."Aqualung" - 6:36
14."Locomotive Breath" - 4:25
15."Life Is A Long Song" - 3:19
16."Thick as a Brick" (extract) - 3:02
17."A Passion Play" (extract) - 3:47
18."Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day" - 3:52
19."Bungle In The Jungle" - 3:39 [edit]
Disc 2
1.Minstrel In The Gallery" - 6:10
2.Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die" - 5:40
3.Songs From The Wood" - 4:54
4.Jack-In-The-Green" - 2:30
5.The Whistler" - 3:32
6.Heavy Horses" - 8:57
7.Dun Ringill" - 2:41
8.Fylingdale Flyer" - 4:32
9.Jack-A-Lynn" - 4:42
10.Pussy Willow" - 3:53
11.Broadsword" - 4:59
12.Under Wraps II" - 2:14
13.Steel Monkey" - 3:34
14.Farm On The Freeway" - 6:28
15.Jump Start" - 4:53
16.Kissing Willie" - 3:31
17.This Is Not Love" - 3:54

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

If that one is too daunting Kino then try this one, it is the first JT album I bought when it was released, and I fell in love with them.

One of the unique things about this album it included "Rainbow Blues" which was unreleased on any previous album at that time, just a tidbit for fanatics like myself and it is a good song as well.:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^That looks great Jeffrey, I love all the fancy things they started doing with vinyl in the late 70's and 80's. One of the best in my old collection was Styx's "Pieces of Eight", gold vinyl you could see right through it.

Rocker440

Reaction score

I can't find it in myself to not like Tull Sox, but the Drum Machine Ian programmed on this one just stood out for me, and I would have liked Clive or Barrimore pounding the skins, I think that would have made a big difference. The concept of this one was good too, all about covert espionage going on in the Spy vs Spy universe, it apparently did alright in Europe but slipped out of sight in a hurry over here.

I definitely agree with all of those excellent points, as well, LG! :cheers2

Perhaps Ian didn't like the process of trying to find a new drummer, or possibly he might have decided that one wasn't necessary to complete that album, I don't know. :peek

Whether it was the Drum Machine or maybe the overall sound of the album, but to me Under Wraps does have a somewhat Techno-type vibe with it, imo. :wtf:

If Under Wraps was more successful worldwide it would have been rather interesting to see what the following album would've been like and the direction JT might have gone, too.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^You are right about that Rocker440, if it was more successful he might have lingered with that type of sound longer,,,I don't mind him stretching his creative muscles but am glad he moved on after Under Wraps to a more conventional Tull sound.

Live drummers > any machines, as I said earlier. And Jeffrey I would love that, if they did a deluxe anniversary album with a real drummer and offered both versions.:tup:

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning

Jethro-Tull-Under-Wraps-453489.jpg

453489b.jpg

JETHRO TULL Under Wraps (Rare official 1984 US Chrysalis label promotional only press pack comprising 2-page band biography and 8" x 10" black & white publicity photograph, housed in a glossy custom A4 folder - still in as new condition despite being nearly a quarter of a century old!).

From eil.com Jethro Tull Under Wraps USA Promo PRESS PACK (453489)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nice rare find as usual Sir Jeffrey.:hab:

That sure looks like Daniel Radcliffe in the bottom right hand corner though, a dead ringer for Harry Potter in fact.:think:

Unless my old baby blues are failing me at last.:heheh:

Rocker440

Reaction score

Jethro-Tull-Under-Wraps-453489.jpg

453489b.jpg

JETHRO TULL Under Wraps (Rare official 1984 US Chrysalis label promotional only press pack comprising 2-page band biography and 8" x 10" black & white publicity photograph, housed in a glossy custom A4 folder - still in as new condition despite being nearly a quarter of a century old!).

From eil.com Jethro Tull Under Wraps USA Promo PRESS PACK (453489)

Looking at the promo photo, isn't one of those gent's a drummer? Maybe he was hired after the album was completed, or perhaps for the tour. Does it mention something about the drummer, or lack thereof within the press info? I don't have my magnifying glass handy, but I probably couldn't read most of that anyway! :heheh:

Nice rare find as usual Sir Jeffrey.:hab:

That sure looks like Daniel Radcliffe in the bottom right hand corner though, a dead ringer for Harry Potter in fact.:think:

Unless my old baby blues are failing me at last.:heheh:

:heheh: Yes, it does look quite a lot like Harry Potter, LG! I think that's possibly Peter-John Vettese, the keyboard player?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.