Jethro Tull (Official Thread)

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
Re: Jethro Tull

I would agree with you LG about "extras" on re-mastered albums. With the Tull albums I recollect Ian Anderson in an article somewhere stating that the extra tracks were either left off the original album(s) as they didn't gel with the other songs or, with the constraints of vinyl, had to be omitted due to length reasons. In most cases that I can think of, this is the case with the Tull remasters - the extras were recorded around the same time as the album and didn't make the cut, or were slightly sub-standard and not up to Ian Anderson's high standards.

I would argue that quite a few of the songs that appeared on "Nightcap" which were originally considered as "flawed" are in fact top rate material. The Chateau D'Isaster Tapes are, for me, a classic example and well worthy of their release. Of interest to serious collectors is a bootleg titled "Minstrels in the Red House" which includes the original of the pre Passion Play materiel sourced from an in-house Chrysalis cassette used during the discussions regarding the 25 years box set.

Intro (unreleased)
Scenario
Audition
Skating Away (different version)
Sailor (unreleased)
No Rehersal (complete ending)

Of interest is the song "Sailor" which has never been officially released and is, to be honest, not a classic Ian Anderson song but as part of the whole concept, is a valuable insight into what the original Passion Play recordings were about.

If I can find a link to the Red House boot I'll put it on my blog but it may take some time to find.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Checking it out now Jeffrey, thank you very much.:cheers2

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score

Now this could be a very interesting re-release :grinthumb

From Spin CDs

Jethro Tull - Stand Up (2CD/DVD Collector’s Edition)
Our price: £17.99
Release Date: 27 Sep 2010
Catalogue No:
Label: EMI
Format: CD (three)
Volumes: 1

This item is due to be released on 27 Sep 2010 and will be dispatched when we receive stock.

Description
CD 1:
Stand Up Original album
1. A New Day Yesterday
2. Jeffrey Goes To Leicester Square
3. Bouree
4. Back To The Family
5. Look Into The Sun
6. Nothing Is Easy
7. Fat Man
8. We Used To Know
9. Reasons For Waiting
10.For A Thousand Mothers

Bonus tracks:
11.Living In The Past
12.Driving Song
13.Sweet Dream

14.17 *
15.Living In The Past (original mono single version) *

Top Gear BBC Radio session recorded on 16/6/69 and broadcast on 22/6/69:
16.Bouree *
17.A New Day Yesterday *
18.Nothing Is Easy *
19.Fat Man *

20.Stand Up US radio spot # 1
21.Stand Up US radio spot # 2

All tracks stereo except * mono.

CD 2:
Live At Carnegie Hall, 1970
1. Nothing Is Easy
2. My God
3. With You There To Help Me/By Kind Permission Of
4. A Song For Jeffrey
5. To Cry You A Song
6. Sossity, You’re A Woman/Reasons For Waiting/Sossity, You’re A Woman
7. Dharma For One
8. We Used To Know
9. Guitar Solo
10.For A Thousand Mothers

DVD:
Live At Carnegie Hall, 1970
Carnegie Hall audio: DTS & Dolby Digital 24 bit 48kHz
5.1 surround sound and 2.0 24 bit 48 kHz LPCM stereo (no footage of the concert).

1. Introduction
2. Nothing Is Easy
3. My God
4. With You There To Help Me/By Kind Permission Of
5. A Song For Jeffrey
6. To Cry You A Song
7. Sossity, You’re A Woman/Reasons For Waiting/Sossity, You’re A Woman
8. Dharma For One
9. We Used To Know
10.Guitar Solo
11.For A Thousand Mothers

DVD Bonus Feature
An interview with Ian Anderson, London, 2010

More details at the above site.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That is quite the package Jeffrey...2 CD's and a DVD as well, I would be curious to listen to the 5.1 mix of the concert, unlike my pal Hep I enjoy the new technology and some of the old classics being updated doesn't bother me at all.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I agree Sox, I just like mentioning the way some people(mostly Critics) have such poor opinions about albums I think are really good. I'll bet they are the same ones keeping Tull and Rush from being chosen for the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.:nw:

I am bemused it is unbelievable that the above mentioned bands are still left out in the cold.They should have been in years ago LG. :bonk: It's crazy.

:cheers2

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score

I am bemused it is unbelievable that the above mentioned bands are still left out in the cold.They should have been in years ago LG. :bonk: It's crazy.:cheers2
It's certainly crazy and infantile and . . . .

I can't speak for Rush but I reckon with Jethro Tull it's a mixture of jealousy and envy, mainly aimed at Ian Anderson. It's said that governments hate anything different and the same goes for the music business. They dislike Tull because it's different and can't be catagorised and therefore a "danger". Witness the booing from an audience full of music business moguls and executives when Tull beat Metallica for the Grammy award.

The music business is full of people who would like to control everything recorded and released but with Ian Anderson they have come up against someone who won't "play the game" or follow the rules. That's why Tull won't be inducted into a Hall Of Fame or similar. He is his own man, for better or for worse, and for that I reckon the fans owe him and Jethro Tull a round of applause for standing up to crass officialdom.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I've always admired Ian Anderson, if you want to know what he thinks about any subject just ask him, he'll leave no doubt where he stands on an issue.

The Grammy's are a massive exercise in self indulgence with a large dose of self flagellation thrown in for good measure, I have not watched them in over 30 years. More of a corporate event decided by politics rather than a genuine recognition of talent. The exception would be when they pay homage to a great artist who's best days are behind them, they do a decent job on that at least.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiammeee

Staff online

Members online