Is the Who's "Live at Leeds" your favorite live album?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Really Runtfan...? I consider "The Kids Are Alright" one of the most disappointing double albums I ever bought. The critics were raving on about it being one of the most important live records ever so I picked up a copy, played it maybe 3 times and gave up on it.

When I saw the new version "Live at Leeds" I was curious not being enamored with remasters anymore, and I prefer the original version. I didn't understand the need to put an almost identical concert in the package. Especially when it comes to classic recordings, although I guess that it might help to get younger fans to check out an old band which is why the labels do this.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^...:hm:...I prefer the studio versions of both Tommy and Quadrophenia Martin, but to some hard core fans I can see the appeal of including a set with a little different song list.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
The Who can't do much wrong for me, Bruce. I remember seeing footage of them at some hippy festival in the late sixties/early seventies and they blew everyone away.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I understand Martin, the really devoted fans of The Who have all seen them perform live, which according to pretty much all of them is a different animal than the band we hear on record.

I never had the chance to see them live, and like a couple folks have mentioned they just missed me when it comes to my favorite bands from your island. Out of their whole discography...I think 4 or 5 albums are essential the rest I found forgettable.:peek

rtbuck

Reaction score
I also prefer the vinyl version of 'Leeds'. I was psyched to get the extended version when it was released & I enjoy it but I hardly listen to the whole album anymore.I tend to listen just to the original tracks. I also like the Kids are Alright(especially Won't Get Fooled Again & Baba O'Reilly). the Who's Last from '82 was also decent in my book.

I really have to think about my favorite live albums for now...(too many...)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
To answer the question in the title... no it's not my favorite live album, in fact I doubt it would make the list of my top 50 live albums.

But hey, if you like it, woot for you. :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I also prefer the vinyl version of 'Leeds'. I was psyched to get the extended version when it was released & I enjoy it but I hardly listen to the whole album anymore.I tend to listen just to the original tracks. I also like the Kids are Alright(especially Won't Get Fooled Again & Baba O'Reilly). the Who's Last from '82 was also decent in my book.

I really have to think about my favorite live albums for now...(too many...)

Over the years as they lob remasters all over the place I find I usually prefer the Original album which always comes in under 45 minutes due to time constraints Bucky. Also it's hard to listen to an old classic that they add a bunch of extra tracks to fill up the space.

New albums made post 1990 that are 60+ minutes long I have no problem with, just the old classics I grew up with I prefer to be intact.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Live at Leeds is a good album but it wouldn't make it to my top list...

Aerosmith ~ Live! Bootleg
Peter Frampton ~ Frampton Comes Alive
Ted Nugent ~ Double Live Gonzo
Johnny Cash ~ At Folsom Prison
Lynyrd Skynyrd ~ One More From the Road
U2 ~ Under a Bloody Red Sky
Journey ~ Captured
Deep Purple ~ Made in Japan
Rolling Stones ~ Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Allman Brothers ~ At Filmore East
Kansas ~ Two for the Show

Find member