Is rock dead?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Is orchestral music dead, or has it just changed a bit over time?

If you mean Classical music...then yeah it's losing it's older fans and not enough young people are taking their place. But that's more the case here than Europe, they have such an established tradition that young people seem to incorporate their love for classical into the more modern music. Orchestras there seem to be doing fine.

When CD's were first released Classical music had a huge surge of popularity, I know I bought hundreds of CD"s myself, they are on average far better recordings than most rock music. Digital seems to have suited them to a tee, and young people who only wanted a few songs can now buy them. I prefer complete works but as long as some people support the genre that's good enough for me.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
Precisely. We don't have killer new world-renowned composers like Wagner, Beethoven, Chopin, or Mozart popping up all the time, but there are still new composers working, and there's still an audience. As such, classical music is not dead.

By the same standards, rock cannot rightfully be called "dead" either. It's just changed.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You are right, and most of the newer composer's most famous works are Film Scores, rather than symphonies.

I admit I don't know nearly as many "contemporary" composers as the old greats, and that is an oversight on my part. But I have to add I love the Romantic/Classical eras the best for Orchestral music generally.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online