Is Bob Marley Respected For His Art and History Or Is He Just An Icon For Marijuana?

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Re: Is Bob Marley Respected For His Art and History Or Is He Just An Icon For Marijua

Bob Marley died of Acral lentiginous melanoma had nothing to do with pot smoking. Although part of the reason it spread to the rest of his body is most likely because he didn't take care of himself propably because he was too busy getting high.

In regards to his music, while it is related to pot smoking I've always enjoyed Reggae and I didn't have to be high to enjoy it. Bob Marley was a major force in bringing Raggae to the masses outside of Jamaica. He had several outstanding songs both political and non-political many that were played on radio stations around the world in the late 70's. I'll remember him for his art and wonderful music not because he smoked pot.

There are several failed pot head artist let alone 100's of raggae artists that never made it. Obviously Bob music hit a spot with people as he has sold millions of albums.

I always find it hillarious then people try to relate certain bands success to pot. IF you don't like a band its not because you aren't smoking the right stuff its because you don't like them. I don't like most heavy metal but don't think what are those people smoking cause that music gives me a headache.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Re: Is Bob Marley Respected For His Art and History Or Is He Just An Icon For Marijua

See my reply above. The mounds of recent scientific studies indicate that marijuana smoke does not cause cancer.

It's probably an impossibility to demonstrate because of the difficulty of separating out the effect of cigarette smoking from the effect of marijuana smoking. I think that trying to differentiate between the taking of different types of smoke into one's lungs is splitting hairs.

Cosmic said:
I once said that I didn't understand the appeal of Bob Marley because I thought his music was boring. I was then told that I clearly wasn't smoking the right stuff.....

I believe you have my answer with that.

'Nuff said!

:grinthumb

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

It's probably an impossibility to demonstrate because of the difficulty of separating out the effect of cigarette smoking from the effect of marijuana smoking. I think that trying to differentiate between the taking of different types of smoke into one's lungs is splitting hairs.
:grinthumb

That has been done. The research has been done on pot smokers + tobacco smokers versus tobacco smokers alone and shown that the combination smokers had less cancer. Other studies did eliminate exposure to tobacco smoke and they showed no effect of cannabis on cancer. Other effects on health have not been studied in depth. Some new research appears to show that cannabis may have anti-tumor properties.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Where does the research on the link between marijuana and the development of bitch tits stand?

:wtf:

Last edited:

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

Both are inseparable from Bob.

foreverblue

Reaction score

i like his music, but i think a lot of people will just buy a marley t-shirt just because they smoke a lot of pot

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

Well, I always hoped Bob was respected for his art and musical prowess (together with his smoking habits, heheheheheheh)....it would be saD if he wasn't:)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Hmmm my goodness.. Somebody knows the code word here..;)

Can't get nothing past you, Thumper ;)

I don't think Marley is an icon for marijuana, he was very open with his habit, and didn't give a crap what people thought. I believe it was this openness that the weed smokers admire, not to mention the Bob Maryley T-Shirts look pretty cool!!

This T-Shirt is clearly and add for marijuana, but I am sure Bob Marley didn't design it, or that it is official Marley gear

103-0799434NEWBU.jpg

This T-Shirt is official Marley gear. SEEEE no marijuana!

bob_marley_t.jpg

marley1.jpg

Neverlife

Reaction score

Now, I'm not the biggest Marley fan, although 3 Little Birds has helped me (as well as probably almost everyone) keep their head up in hard times.

I've met people who respect him for his music, and people who respect him for his political/herbal views (myself included). I will always remember him for what his music has done, and the fact that he was always true to himself first, and did what HE wanted with his music. But I will also always remember him for the fact that he was a great person, and involved in what he believed in politics, and he also was very open about his smoking.

Right now marijuana is huge, it is being legalized in areas, masses of research done, and the sides are fighting like never before. So it only makes sense that marijuana icons are being put out on T-Shirts and the like. If this marijuana 'crisis' ever dies down, he will go back to just being a musical icon, except for to those who smoke.
-----

I'm a bit tired right now, so sorry for any epic grammer fails in there :D.

And Annie, it's good to see another person here who does stay informed, there are so many misconceptions going around now its frustrating trying to bring knowledge to those who are ignorant of the truth.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online