Is Bob Marley Respected For His Art and History Or Is He Just An Icon For Marijuana?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Is Bob Marley Respected For His Art and History Or Is He Just An Icon For Marijua

^^I agree Greg well said, his music is what I always think about first and foremost.:tup:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Re: Is Bob Marley Respected For His Art and History Or Is He Just An Icon For Marijua

Of course pot can cause cancer Annie, especially the amount that Bob smoked.(If you were being facetious then I missed it.) The tar of one massive joint is probably equal to a pack of unfiltered cigarettes, and that is not good for your lungs among other things.

Sorry LG, I was not being facetious. I am a scientist and have worked in cancer research. I searched the recent literature just now and this is the state of the art today.

Marijuana tar does contain similar carcinogens to tar from tobacco cigarettes, but in a cohort study with 8 years of follow-up, marijuana use was not associated with increased risks of all cancers or smoking-related cancers. In the latest publication, male and female Marijuana Tobacco Smokers had a lower probability of developing lung cancer than did Tobacco Smokers only. In other research although using marijuana for > or =30 joint-years was positively associated in the crude analysis with lung and upper aerodigestive tract cancers, no positive associations were observed when adjusting for several confounders including cigarette smoking. The latter point is very important. Confounding means that when you remove exposure to cigarette smoke and other causes of cancer from the equation, the answer is nil for cannibis. The results suggest that the association of these cancers with marijuana, even long-term or heavy use, is not strong. Sufficient studies are not available to adequately evaluate marijuana impact on cancer risk.

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I think he's remembered more for the music,that is not to say that there isn't any cool types out there that are not into it strictly for the imagery, T-shirts and the pot thang.

I mean look at alot of 80's Dead fans, but that also isn't to say that there were not 80's people that liked the Dead's music.

:cheers:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

Annie:

Do you actually need mounds of scientific studies to tell you that taking smoke into your lungs has to be bad for your health? Common sense alone should tell you that both smoking and ingesting questionable chemical compounds such as hallucinogens into your body by whatever means has to be detrimental to your health.

Thumper:

See my reply above. The mounds of recent scientific studies indicate that marijuana smoke does not cause cancer.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I think he's remembered more for the music,that is not to say that there isn't any cool types out there that are not into it strictly for the imagery, T-shirts and the pot thang.

I mean look at alot of 80's Dead fans, but that also isn't to say that there were not 80's people that liked the Dead's music.

:cheers:

I don't know! I have heard the following joke about The Grateful Dead a million times:

What do deadheads say when they run out of dope?
"What is this awful music?" :lmao:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

I don't know! I have heard the following joke about The Grateful Dead a million times:

:lmao: That's a good one Soot

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

See my reply above. The mounds of recent scientific studies indicate that marijuana smoke does not cause cancer.

I see you know your stuff Annie, a lot more than I do about it. I do know from personal experience that excessive use of cannibis can be detrimental to your health, and definitely affects your motivation.

Back on topic, Bry that made me laugh, I was never a Deadhead myself, I never understood all the fuss about their music, it seemed rather bland to me most of the time.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I once said that I didn't understand the appeal of Bob Marley because I thought his music was boring. I was then told that I clearly wasn't smoking the right stuff.....

I believe you have my answer with that.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Definitely the 420!

Bob-Marley---Spliff-Man-Poster-C10288239.jpeg
Bob-Marley.jpg

marley-bob-ganja-9914173.jpg
Bob_Marley__Smoking_.jpg

Actually, I am pokin' a bit of fun here. Bob Marley never made any attempt to hide his love of "herb", but as a music lover, I dont remember him in that manner. I have the utmost respect for his talent, and the music he made. Actually, his legacy isn't as clouded in drugs as some of the major heavy rockers, and I dont think of the "drugs" as the first image that pops into my mind.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Well some friends of mine here heard this story a couple times but I was in a power metal band back in like 88 or so and the keyboard player was all classical and a Julliard grad.

He hated the Dead (or didn't care for their brand of music). There was a place we partied at 3-4 days a week called the "Party Barn" where it was a mix of metal and alot of 60's vibe music. Hendrix,Joplin,Doors,Dead...but there were seperate Megadeth rooms,Sabbath...it was a blast. Everyone got along and on the same page. Dig?

:heheh:

Well one time I went there with Chris (my keyboard buddy) and we got lost. Miles and miles of cars and about 100 people on like 60 acres or something...and 2 hours later I found him in a car with this female Dead fan and she must have "turned him on" cause his eyes were all glassy and he was looking through me...not at me.

There was this whirring sound coming from the car's tape deck and they had their arms around each other. He kinda looked up at me and said,"Duuuude...this s***s A-wwwww-eee-ssss-oooooooo-mmmme"

It was the Dead. I told him the next day what he said...all I got was a ," **** NO!"

:lmao:

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online