Is Bob Marley Respected For His Art and History Or Is He Just An Icon For Marijuana?

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Re: Is Bob Marley Respected For His Art and History Or Is He Just An Icon For Marijua

Hep you either like reggae or not,,,,

I don't. I was bewildered by Marley's status as a music/cultural icon given how very few radio hits he had until the marijuana connection dawned on me.

:wtf:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Is Bob Marley Respected For His Art and History Or Is He Just An Icon For Marijua

He did not die from marijuana, that is the difference. Jimi Hendrix is the prime example of being revered for drugs.

You're right! Bob Marley and him get marketed nearly the same way but I see much more use of it in Bob Marley Merchandise. Jimmy at least gets pictured with a guitar more than a blunt.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Of course pot can cause cancer Annie, especially the amount that Bob smoked.(If you were being facetious then I missed it.) The tar of one massive joint is probably equal to a pack of unfiltered cigarettes, and that is not good for your lungs among other things.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

One thing I've always heard is that his whole death was a conspiracy and the government killed him! Anyone here about that at all?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

He is an admired figure in his home land.. A place where they grow ganja..
If the so called "story" about the US government doing him in because he was starting to make too much noise (politically) was true... Shame on them..
I find it hard to believe that he put on his boots and a "wire" pricked his foot and got infected and he died from that.. I read that whole story in High Times..
I think IMO he was respected for his political views and who dosn't love a man who speaks for the people.
He was the John Lennon of Jamaica..

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Annie:

Pot smoking is responsible for cancer?

Do you actually need mounds of scientific studies to tell you that taking smoke into your lungs has to be bad for your health? Common sense alone should tell you that both smoking and ingesting questionable chemical compounds such as hallucinogens into your body by whatever means has to be detrimental to your health.

Thumper:

I read that whole story in High Times.

Not exactly the most credible source since they're market is marijuana smokers/drug takers who would prefer not to be presented with evidence that marijuana can/is harmful.

Not that marijuana should continue to be illegal. I'm perfectly willing to allow others to embrace the poison of their choice. I am opposed to paying for the resultant health care costs out of my own pocket though.

:drums:

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

O.K. guys! This is turning into a weed good vs. weed bad debate. The topic is what Bob represents now as a figure in our culture! I just know where this could end up going so please refrain! :grinthumb

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score

Bob Marley is somone i will remember for bringing reggae to the masses. How can u not bounce your head to the catchy skat beat of reggae even as repettitive as it can get. It is true what shoot and stars says. Today's generation and even the one before it think of marley as a weed smoker first musician second. The interesting thing is the increase in people naming their kids Marley. Bob Marley wrote two really important songs. " Get up Stand Up" is a song not only a Jamacian can relate to but anyone can. Standing up for your right can be used in so many scenarios. "Three little Birds" is another great song and is very uplifting. The line "dont worry cause every little thing is gonna be alright" has gotten me through some hard times. Music is supposed to have healing powers and move people bob marley ceartinly did that.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Bob Marley is somone i will remember for bringing reggae to the masses. How can u not bounce your head to the catchy skat beat of reggae even as repettitive as it can get. It is true what shoot and stars says. Today's generation and even the one before it think of marley as a weed smoker first musician second. The interesting thing is the increase in people naming their kids Marley. Bob Marley wrote two really important songs. " Get up Stand Up" is a song not only a Jamacian can relate to but anyone can. Standing up for your right can be used in so many scenarios. "Three little Birds" is another great song and is very uplifting. The line "dont worry cause every little thing is gonna be alright" has gotten me through some hard times. Music is supposed to have healing powers and move people bob marley ceartinly did that.

Well said Greg! I actually bought the Legend c.d. before going to college and being exposed to the culture that has made me think that Bob is slowly going to represent more and more of wrong things as time goes by. Not his fault! Just the way marketing is influencing the culture and how they see things. We have to remember, any of us at a certain age, it's not how we see him. It's how one generation after another will see him.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online