Is Alice Cooper Metal

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
He looks metal, sounds metal in his interviews, dresses metal, but I still don't feel the metal thru the music, very heavy at times tho.
Very astute observation. ;)

wolfsblood

Reaction score
Alice mentions being heavy metal on his Zipper Catches Skin album.
I think he's a good hard rocker with a lot of great tunes. He's seventies-style heavy metal along with Led Zeppelin and Kiss.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
...every Black/Death/Doom metal band he meets treats him with reverence, they worship him. So if they think he is part of their family that is enough for me.

No. Just because Alice Cooper was a key formative influence on metal bands does not mean Alice Cooper itself was a metal band. Just because Muddy Waters influenced the early Rolling Stones does not mean that the Stones were a straight blues band.

:drums:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I will always think of AC as a diverse musician, from soft ballads to heavy metal, and I feel he has enough HM in his discography to be included.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Np. Just because Alice Cooper was a key formative influence on metal bands does not mean Alice Cooper itself was a metal band. Just because Muddy Waters influenced the early Rolling Stones does not mean that the Stones were a straight blues band.

Fox, he had a huge influence in metal and heavy metal. Giving his influence to guide and build upon for future bands does make him metal. Early Stones was not the influence in blues, Muddy waters was the influence and the stones built their early blues-rock from that influence. Per your analogy :)

Alice Cooper is not the current standard of heavy metal, which is a sketchy genre at best. But he laid the foundation for the defining characteristics of heavy metal and put the element of shock and horror into the genre.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Early Stones was not the influence in blues, Muddy waters was the influence and the stones built their early blues-rock from that influence. Per your analogy.

You misunderstand. My point was that pupils don't necessarily end up playing the same genre of music as their teachers. The Stones as well as the Beatles are two of the best examples of this.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
You misunderstand. My point was that pupils don't necessarily end up playing the same genre of music as their teachers. The Stones as well as the Beatles are two of the best examples of this.

I think Elton John's beautiful soprano voice and delightful pop tunes heavily influencing Axl Rose's gnarled voices and hard rock is a more diverse example. Or maybe that James Hetfield was heavily inspired by Freddie Mercury.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Alice Cooper was heavier,darker,more rebellious as well as LOUDER than most of the bands on the scene at the time.

Real metal also is about the melody and certain progressions that Cooper had and still does as a solo artist.

As far as what he's influnced and that some bands are heavier? It's called sub genres.

I never bought into the whole .."Zeppelin,Sabbath and Cooper were not metal because they didn't say so", trip.

The press invented the term for music long after it was used by Steppenwolf and the like.

If future bands that were able to call themselves metal were influenced by these acts than it is so.

If the term Heavy Metal wasn't around to categorize some bands back in the day but the bands were still heavy...

... than to me the music,looks,stage show,volume and at times lyrical themes and imagry make it so.

I'm serious...I used to debate with some that Sabbath was not metal (which is funny to me)...one person told me that Sabbath was a blues band...

...the way I see it,so were the Beatles once.

Bottom line is today I've heard all these bands use the word metal as well as Alice.

Alice sure likes to be a part of alot of Heavy Metal documentaries. He knows what's up.

51cdre4CvDL._SS500_.jpg

rolling_stone_metal_tree.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online