Is Alice Cooper Metal

Unlimited Power

Reaction score
I consider his 80's stuff with Kane Roberts on guitar Heavy Metal.

Alice-Cooper-Constrictor---Aut-531282.jpg
alice_cooper-raise_your_fist_&_yell-front.jpg

Alice-Cooper-Trash.jpg

ANTHEM

Reaction score
Imo it is like Rush or AC/DC it first of all is subjective, and 2nd of all it would depend on what era, album, or song. These artist amongst a few others kind of were hopping back and forth between hard rock and heavy metal whatever that is and again to ask if they were metal would at least depend on the era, album, song etc... Let's just make it simple and put them somewhere inbetween hard rock and heavy metal and call them heavy rock which is a term I've actually heard these types of bands described as more than once. But if somebody wants to call them metal then imo it's not a big deal because not only are they pretty close through their careers at certain stages and imo would be splitting hairs and petty to argue about it, along with at the very least being a direct link to heavy metal, but these bands were actually called heavy metal back in the day on numerous occasions. So call AC and the others from his generation whatever you like because odds are you will be right or at least close enough.

Last edited:

Unlimited Power

Reaction score
I get what you say, but I really don't think there's much to discuss when you listen to tracks like "Freedom". Lot's of double bass drumming, heavy downpicked and plam muted riffs, shredding solos etc. If that isn't Heavy Metal, then Priest's Stained Class isn't either. But hell, Heavy Rock sounds fine to me :p

ANTHEM

Reaction score
I'm not so sure "heavy metal" has actually been defined and even if it was the definition would surely change over time. It's like "metal" fans keep trying to erase its history every few years and again redefine it as though doing so keeps it sounding "relevant" and "hip" :wank: Also many people have a narrow idea of what "metal" is because as soon as a band explores outside of the heavy metal box they get cast out which would make "heavy metal" very limited and one dimensional.:rolleyes: And there's something I believe many have forgotten which is "metal" if indeed there is such a definite thing is a subgenre of rock n roll yet many "metalheads" have acted like it is its own entity while putting rock music in general down.:wank:

I've been on discussion boards before where even bands such as dio, priest, quiet riot, and the scorpions were questioned about whether they were metal or not:wank: One site even had a vote on bands about whether they were metal or not and those who were not considered metal in the poll was banned from being mentioned. I have a nephew for example who consideres maiden "rock" while calling motorhead metal. So yeah it has gotten absolutely ridiculous with bias and subjective ideas about what is metal or not and this is why I don't go on "heavy metal" boards any more. All this who's more metal or not is pathetic and I would rather not have any part of it.

The term "heavy metal" was coined as a loose term to describe zeppelins sound as being "like heavy metal falling from the sky" as far as I know, which was just to loosely describe the heavier or harder side of rock n roll and wasn't attended to be a label for a genre itself with one dimensional elements. So yes, at one time bands like ac/dc, rush, and even reo and journey were called "heavy metal" many times back in the 70's and even a part of the 80's. In the end it's all rock n roll.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not so sure "heavy metal" has actually been defined and even if it was the definition would surely change over time. It's like "metal" fans keep trying to erase its history every few years and again redefine it as though doing so keeps it sounding "relevant" and "hip" :wank: Also many people have a narrow idea of what "metal" is because as soon as a band explores outside of the heavy metal box they get cast out which would make "heavy metal" very limited and one dimensional.:rolleyes: And there's something I believe many have forgotten which is "metal" if indeed there is such a definite thing is a subgenre of rock n roll yet many "metalheads" have acted like it is its own entity while putting rock music in general down.:wank:

I've been on discussion boards before where even bands such as dio, priest, quiet riot, and the scorpions were questioned about whether they were metal or not:wank: One site even had a vote on bands about whether they were metal or not and those who were not considered metal in the poll was banned from being mentioned. I have a nephew for example who consideres maiden "rock" while calling motorhead metal. So yeah it has gotten absolutely ridiculous with bias and subjective ideas about what is metal or not and this is why I don't go on "heavy metal" boards any more. All this who's more metal or not is pathetic and I would rather not have any part of it.

The term "heavy metal" was coined as a loose term to describe zeppelins sound as being "like heavy metal falling from the sky" as far as I know, which was just to loosely describe the heavier or harder side of rock n roll and wasn't attended to be a label for a genre itself with one dimensional elements. So yes, at one time bands like ac/dc, rush, and even reo and journey were called "heavy metal" many times back in the 70's and even a part of the 80's. In the end it's all rock n roll.

Metalheads are a strange bunch when it comes to silly things like labels. Heavy metal gets thrown around as a loose term for lots of bands. I don't really care who is what so much now because good music is good music regardless of the subgenre.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
^ Same here, I used to be a die hard headbanging "metal head" and as time passed I had people telling me that what I based my being a "metal head" wasn't metal, which meant I wasn't "metal enough":wank:, and then over time came all of the fighting and flaming over it and I just got to the point that screw it "metal" doesn't obviously mean that much to me and that again in the end it's all rock n roll. I still have a habit of calling a band metal at times but I don't take the heavy metal label serious anymore. Even many bands who have been labeled metal have said themselves they were just rock n roll and ozzy himself asked before...."what the hell is heavy metal ?" I'll go with AC/DC....I'm a Rocker :p

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even AC/DC themselves deny being heavy metal. Angus in interviews prefers to call themselves rock n roll and same with Motorhead. lol
Both bands having less complex arrangements and seem more straightforward to me make both of them rock.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
^Then again when certain bands explore more and are more intricate and step outside of the musical ideas and structures thought as "metal" they get denied by the "true metalheads" It's like "oh you can be epic, intricate, and creative, but only in a certain way" lol Again, who really knows what "heavy metal" is ? Well besides the "true metalheads" :rolleyes::wtf: And of course in given time what they call metal now won't qualify, shakes head. BTW, Didn't tenacious d do a collaberation with scott ian making fun of exactly what I've said as in all this cookie cutter idea of metal and the worn out urgument of who's metal or not or who's more metal ?

Last edited:

Unlimited Power

Reaction score
It's one of the most diverse genres in all of music, so it obviously can't be all that bad.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online