Iggy Pop (Official Thread)

mrJim

Reaction score
Concert Review: Post Pop Depression

Concert review from the tour

by Philip Cosores on March 17, 2016, 11:45am

SXSW Live Review: Iggy Pop at ACL Live (3/16)
There's nothing depressing about the iconic frontman's Bowie-inspired showcase

In another artist’s hands, the storyline of Iggy Pop in 2016 could be gut-wrenching. Following the death of his longtime friend and collaborator, the counterculture legend releases what could be his last album, confronting his own mortality head on. He enlists a cast of contemporary rock and roll’s brightest stars, a passing of the torch and a last shot to tap into the vitality that often fades with age. Hell, the album is even called Post Pop Depression.

But the truth is Iggy Pop in 2016 is only as depressing as the audience makes it. Nothing about his live show, which dipped into ACL Live for the second night on Wednesday, is presented as less than a celebration. Maybe that’s what Bowie would want from a setlist built upon the pair’s two collaborative 1977 classics, The Idiot and Lust for Life. When Pop opens his show with the latter’s title track, its message can’t be ignored. Pop is an artist more intent on reveling in life than mourning its eventual end. Later, introducing one of his new songs, “Valhalla”, Pop asked not just whether heaven was real, but whether it was even a place he wanted to go. He laughed off the sentiment, every look behind the curtain shrugged off in favor of living in the moment.

Onstage, Pop’s presence embodies vitality. Whether it’s wearing a charcoal blazer to match his bandmates, which include Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme, Dean Fertita, and Troy Van Leeuwen, Arctic Monkeys’ Matt Helders, and Chavez’s Matt Sweeney, or discarding that blazer in favor of his quintessential shirtless self, Pop is still every bit the madman live. He makes no mystery about his love for being on the stage, thanking the audience profusely throughout the set, even asking the entire crowd to “come up here and **** me.” When he’d ask for the house lights to shine down on his fans, it was in the interest of remembering, of savoring his own survival, of letting the moment linger.

Younger artists might take a selfie. Iggy Pop basks in the glory of music. And there’s nothing depressing about that.

Article courtesy of
consequenceofsound.net

05-iggy-pop-and-queens-of-the-stone-age.jpg

rtbuck

Reaction score
After being able to listen to the entire album a handful of times now I thought I would share some thoughts.

First off Iggy pairing with Josh Homme and Dean Fertita, Matt Helders is just brilliant. It gave Iggy extremely good music capability that was able to mesh completely with exactly who and what Iggy is. Nothing seemed “force fit” nor did Iggy change his vocal style to meld to some extremely good musicians. Absolutely phenomenal job and these guys must have had a lot of respect for Iggy and a desire to put something special together without changing him. My only wish is that it could have happened 5 or so years ago, but I am grateful and happy regardless.

Iggy’s lyrics throughout are typical Iggy lyrics and revolve around sex, angst with what is occurring socially and in the case of this album cautiously thinking about what’s ahead and what I call “finishing the journey”. The first four tracks include the singles already released "Break Into Your Heart", "Gardenia", "American Valhalla" the singles are all really good, but I did feel in a couple minor spots the lyrics seemed a bit calculated in order to fit. The fifth track “Sunday” is when the album really began to excel, I just kept thinking before or after that song Iggy’s voice should have been heard stating “This is an Iggy Pop album!”. From here the album was pure gold Iggy Pop going right back to the late 70’s early 80’s solo albums. In the track “Vulture” Iggy says “fat black vulture white head hung low eating dead meat on the side of the road” then a guitar whines out reaching just the limit to still be under control until the end of the track when both Iggy and guitar let loose… but all of it is just enough to be under control throughout. This is the brilliance that comes out with the involvement Josh Homme and the guys. Maybe the best overall track is Chocolate Drops it simply demonstrates classic Iggy vocals/lyrics, brilliant instrument work and these smooth backing vocals that make for something very special.

Anyone wondering how it relates to Iggy’s other albums I would definitely put it in the area of the late 70’s early 80’s solos “New Values”, “Soldier” and “Lust for Life”. It is not the Iggy Pop of the mid 80’s or hard/fast late 80’s-90’s, it is Not The Stooges and not some the experimental things Iggy’s done.

It is going to be a classic Iggy Pop Album. Been looking forward to this album more than any other release in many years and I am not disappointed. I am looking forward to getting my vinyl copy sometime around the Mar 18th.

I highly suggest giving it a try.

Jim

This is a perfect review, Mr. Jim, for a perfect album. I was up at 2am today & realized my preorder download for the album took place at midnight. I figured I'd load it on my ipod play a minute or so of a song & then move on to the next...not the case...I'd begin listening to a song & I'd just have to keep listening. I ended up listening to the album twice which was fine because every song sank in my mind. There are only 9 tracks on the album which is great because it leaves you wanting more meanwhile these 9 songs really stick in your brain. Favorite tracks???...hmmm... love them all but I really love the last track "Paraguay" along with "Chocolate Drops", "Sunday", & "Break into your Heart". As Mr. Jim says this is not a Stooges album or a rocker like his late 80's/early 90's stuff so don't expect to get your socks rocked off but DO expect to hear a great friggin' album. I love Iggy working together w/ Josh Homme !!! Great review Mr. Jim!!!!

mrJim

Reaction score
First time I have ever heard one of these I thought this pod cast was pretty cool. Iggy Pop and Josh Homme explaining how the track "American Valhalla" came about.

songexploder.net
A podcast where musicians take apart their songs, and piece by piece, tell the story of how they were made.

March 21, 2016
Episode 68: Iggy Pop

“American Valhalla”

Song Exploder | Iggy Pop

Iggy Pop is a pioneer of punk rock, whose legendary career began over fifty years ago. In 2015, he began collaborating on music with Joshua Homme, of Queens of the Stone Age. The result was Iggy Pop’s 23rd album, Post Pop Depression. In this episode, Iggy and Josh break down the song “American Valhalla,” and tell the story of how it was shaped by reverb, opera, and the military.

You can buy “American Valhalla,” from Iggy Pop’s album Post Pop Depression, on iTunes.

Courtesy
Song Exploder

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Just when I thought it was safe to go out and buy albums Iggy releases another album, and if what I have heard is what the album sounds like then it is a must have for me. I have most of his albums but watching the performance on Jools Holland made me sit up and listen, absolutely brilliant.

I might even try and catch him live again, this is supposed to be his last album:wa

mrJim

Reaction score
:bow:

IGGY POP - The Passenger - Live @ Royal Albert Hall, London - 13 May 2016

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
Iggy Pop - Funtime live at the Royal Albert Hall, London, 13th May 2016.

Stage diving at 69:grinthumb

Last edited:

mrJim

Reaction score
Fathers day gift from my wife and kids.

Brian Ewing - "Iggy Pop Variant" Post Pop Depression Tour Photo Fox Theater, Detroit MI.

For anyone that hasn't seen his variant work this one changes at angles to reveal a skeletal, muscle view of the subject. I like this thing a lot.

Jim

Courtesy BRIANEWING.COM

Check out the video of the poster showing how is changes.Don't Hold Your Breath, Here

unnamed_1a__05329.1460392473.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online