If you had to choose an instrument you want to play...

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
...or if you play on an instrument already and have to choose another one, what would it be?

I play bass, but I always though of playing Hammond organ or flute. To be fair I can't really decide which one would be a definite instrument, both I consider to be my favourite bits in music I love. There are not many bands with a distorted Hammond organ round and so there are not many bands with flute and Hammond organ. I'd love to change that one day. :heheh:

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
For me, guitar definitely! Any kind. It's just such a cool instrument. My next choice would be piano. Such beautiful music can come from those keys.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I play piano and acoustic guitar, though my wife is a musician (orchestral violinist) and so I still aspire to learn the violin one day, but we never seem to have the time to knuckle down to some serious lessons, the kids all play piano, and two play the flute, but I think above all I'd really love to play the organ, as in a proper 3-manual, 300 stops beast of a church organ, and not one of those things that Jon Lord and Keith Emerson play, as great though they are. Organ is a totally different beast to the piano, a lot of fine pianists are really terrible organists, and vice-versa, so I'd say organ first, then violin.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
The piano so I can put to use that big 'ole cocktail glass on top it.

The one that people drop tips in? :heheh:

I play piano and acoustic guitar, though my wife is a musician (orchestral violinist) and so I still aspire to learn the violin one day, but we never seem to have the time to knuckle down to some serious lessons, the kids all play piano, and two play the flute, but I think above all I'd really love to play the organ, as in a proper 3-manual, 300 stops beast of a church organ, and not one of those things that Jon Lord and Keith Emerson play, as great though they are. Organ is a totally different beast to the piano, a lot of fine pianists are really terrible organists, and vice-versa, so I'd say organ first, then violin.

That's great that all your kids play instruments. My daughter knows violin but she grew bored with it. I really wish I knew how to play something. But you're never too old, right? :)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I'd say the piano. I've always wanted to learn to play Alla Turca.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I would want to play drums. I'd love to be a really good drummer.

opera races

Reaction score
I've wanted to learn bass guitar for a long, long time! I've always dug bass and people who actually PLAY bass guitar.

I've mentioned before I played cello when I was a teenager. Sometimes I bounce back and forth between thinking about getting a cheap cello and wanting to try bass guitar. The bass guitar and stand up string bass are similar in setup from what I understand and a person can pick up one after learning the other fairly easily. I think basically one you have to deal with frets and the other you don't otherwise it's the same strings and notes. That was what first threw me about cello - no frets! - but I came to prefer no frets lol. But cello is not quite set up the same so even though I'm fine with reading bass clef I think there would still be a big learning curve for me.

I consider myself sort of hopeless when it comes to most musical instruments though. I dabbled slightly with piano but didn't ever get the right sort of instruction when I wanted and needed it most and at this point have sort of lost interest. I tried harp for one semester and was hopeless with that. Tried teaching myself harmonica after all the jokes from people seeing me lugging my cello around but didn't get it. I tried guitar and was hopeless with that too. I think part of the problem was attempting to learn with a cheap acoustic with steel strings. Oh, almost forgot ... I had a terrible time with rhythm sticks in 4th grade ... kazoo I did ok ... tambourine I was ok too and maracas also ... I still have the tambourine and maracas in my living room, more for display these days than anything else.

I think part of my problem is I simply need to learn some good basic music theory first. I do have one of those "Music Theory For Dummies" type books I should read one of these days. Come to think of it I have a "Bass For Dummies" book too!

But yeah ... bass I wouldn't mind trying out ...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online