1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I might be into Diamond Head a little too much...

Discussion in '80's Music' started by Diamond Reo, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Diamond Reo

Diamond Reo The Ultimate Warlord

OK, for over a decade, I've known about Diamond Head's classics "Am I Evil?" and "It's Electric", but it wasn't until fairly recently that I picked up a CD copy of Lightning to the Nations as a gift for my mom. Well, I loved the album so much that I not only bought a copy of the same edition for myself, but another copy as a gift for a friend. I might be into these guys too much.

SanguineRemedy likes this.
  2. E-Z

E-Z Jack Bruce: Cream+West, Bruce & Laing+BLT

The first album was alright and they were part of the NWOBHM movement although they arrived at the tail end of it here in the UK around 1982-83 from memory?. I think they then went in a different direction musically after the first album plus they didn't have much luck and I believe one of the boys in the band his mother managed them for awhile??.

From memory I recall some music press hype here in the UK (SOUNDS musicpaper) that they could become the next LED ZEPPELIN. :rolleyes:

I have the first Dianond Head cd/album on a double-cd but never play it it's hidden amongst a load of other NWOBHM cds that I have.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  3. Diamond Reo

Actually, from what I read, their first single - "Shoot Out the Lights" b/w "Helpless" - was released in 1979 and Lightning to the Nations was released in 1980.

4. E-Z

E-Z Jack Bruce: Cream+West, Bruce & Laing+BLT

You must be right about the dates cos I was doing it from memory. I think I first of them around 1981(?) but to be honest as far as I was concerned I read about them in SOUNDS UK music paper they did a feature on them as the next LED ZEPPELIN and they were even included in a book called The Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal around 1981/82(?) but they kind of disappeared not long after that around 1982 although I never took any notice of them after that until I read that Lars Ulrich started name dropping them in interviews later on in the 1980s.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  5. Diamond Reo

Interesting. I actually learned about these guys before I learned that Metallica had covered some of their songs. From what I know, they also got signed to a major label - MCA, to be exact - and did two further albums before their first breakup. Regardless, I do sometimes wonder what things would've been like had they made it bigger than they did.

6. Riff Raff

Riff Raff The Kevin Owens Show Staff Member

No such thing as too much support for a band.
    Lightning is a metal classic.