Humble Pie (Official Thread)

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Humble Pie’s ‘Rockin’ the Fillmore’ Gets Boxed

humble.jpg

Source Link

Humble Pie‘s 1971 double live album ‘Performance: Rockin’ the Fillmore’ finally broke the British rock band in the U.S. after a couple years of missing the charts. The record reached No. 21 and gave the band the shot it needed to push forward.

On Oct. 29, an expanded version of that album will be released as a four-disc box set that gathers all four shows at New York’s legendary Fillmore East from which the original 1971 record was culled.

Humble Pie — featuring Steve Marriott, Peter Frampton, Greg Ridley and Jerry Shirley — had already released four albums and a handful of singles when they played the Fillmore on May 28 and 29, 1971. They tore through four shows, blazing songs like Dr. John’s ‘I Walk on Gilded Splinters’ (which they stretched out to more than 25 minutes onstage) and ‘I Don’t Need No Doctor,’ originally recorded by Ray Charles, with blues-rock intensity. (The live version of ‘Doctor’ became the band’s first hit, peaking at No. 73.)

The new box collects the entire run of shows and includes the original album’s seven songs plus 15 previously unreleased performances. None of the tracks from the first show made it to the 1971 LP. The box set’s remastered mix was supervised by Shirley and Frampton, who says in a press release, “It’s like a breath of fresh air .”

Disc One (05/28/71 Friday, First Show)
1. ‘Four Day Creep’
2. ‘I’m Ready’
3. ‘I Walk on Gilded Splinters’
4. ‘Hallelujah (I Love Her So)’
5. ‘I Don’t Need No Doctor’

Disc Two (05/28/71 Friday, Second Show)
1. ‘Four Day Creep’
2. ‘I’m Ready’
5. ‘Rollin’ Stone’
6. ‘I Don’t Need No Doctor’

Disc Three (05/29/71 Saturday, First Show)
1. ‘Four Day Creep’
2. ‘I’m Ready’
5. ‘Stone Cold Fever’

Disc Four (05/29/71 Saturday, Second Show)
1. ‘Four Day Creep’
2. ‘I’m Ready’
5. ‘Rollin’ Stone’
6. ‘I Don’t Need No Doctor’
the best way to listen to HP...

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Wow, even here in the heyday of this site Humble Pie got little attention. A real shame..
And hey where is @Speed King s responce ?!??!??!?

:wtf:

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
Wow, even here in the heyday of this site Humble Pie got little attention. A real shame..
And hey where is @Speed King s responce ?!??!??!?

:wtf:

What do I think of Humble Pie?,....:grinthumb.....Awesome forgotten/underrated/underappriciated guitar oriented 70's rock at it's best,....dig on this,...

Humble Pie - Rollin' Stone

Vader

Reaction score
Better late then never haha... :D ^^^ great song

I love Humble Pie I even have Steve Marriotts All Stars on vinyl and a live Package of Three Cd ...another one of Steves post pie offerings

Heres the b side of Natural Born Boogie ... Wrist Job which I always thought was a much better cut if less accessible

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
The term 'Supergroup' is bandied about a lot in the music press these days, and it just means a bunch of guys who have been in other bands. Back in the early '70s was when the term was first coined, when individuals from high profile bands, who had split, formed a new band. Humble Pie was one, as was Blind Faith. These bands were short-lived. The reality was you had four or five highly skilled and talented individuals trying to pull the band in their own personal direction, and in the end they all just piss each other off. At the time it initially looked great for the fans, but it just didn't work.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/humble_pie

Actually Humble Pie were around for a pretty good amount of time and it worked awesomely.
One the best bands to come out of 69 and make their musical mark on the 70s.

Yep, but Frampton was away pretty quick, which kind of illustrates my point. Steve Marriot will be forever remembered for his part in The Small Faces, not Humble Pie.

Vader

Reaction score
Yep, but Frampton was away pretty quick, which kind of illustrates my point. Steve Marriot will be forever remembered for his part in The Small Faces, not Humble Pie.
The Small Faces were the short lived band ...pun intended

Clem Clemson was a more then capable replacement for Frampton and I perfer his playing style anyway
SMOKIN' Clems first album with them is their stand out anyway... not that I don't enjoy the rest of their catalog for the most part....
Awesome stuff.

By you perhaps... there were plenty of Pie fans at this site before it became (somewhat) dead....I know I was here under a different name.

HUMBLE PIE .... not for the wallmart t shirt classic rock fan.

Humble_Pie75.jpg

Last edited:

Vader

Reaction score

I Don't Need No Doctor .

Showing off The Pies amazing live capabilities !!!! If this doesn't get your ass rockin you're either dead or close to it.

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
Ditto on the live Humble Pie, and everything else you said Vader. I couldn't say anything negative about them if I tried. Just a great blues based rock band, without all the glitz and hype.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online