Humble Pie (Official Thread)

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
I saw Humble Pie back around March of ’72 @ San Diego Sports Arena…right after Peter Frampton left, & Clem Clemson from Colisseum joined up as lead guitarist. Back then everyone thought Frampton was out of his mind for quitting such a famous group; obviously he went on to make some even bigger records.

humble-pie.jpg

Official Website

1969 As Safe as Yesterday Is
1969 Town and Country
1970 Humble Pie
1971 Rock On
1972 Smokin'
1973 Eat It
1974 Thunderbox
1975 Street Rats
1980 On to Victory
1981 Go for the Throat
2002 Back on Track

I loved Humble Pie. These guys were raucous musicians who really cut loose, live. The late, great pint sized front man Steve Marriott was a very impressive Blues Shouter, & a great rhythm guitarist. Steve had already achieved great fame in the '60s as the original vocalist of the Small Faces.

1708215477327.jpeg

Greg Ridley was one of the best bass players of the early ‘70s, much in the style of Ronnie Wood in Jeff Beck’s earlier group. He always played with his fingers & rarely used a pick, & always played a P Bass thru Acoustic 360 amps. I had followed Greg since he was the bassist for Spooky Tooth in the late ‘60s. Greg died November 19, 2003.

spooky-greg-ridley-1.gif

Greg Ridley was equally impressive as a backup vocalist, with a low booming voice. Humble Pie was noted for it’s excellent ensemble vocals.

The dueling guitars of Humble Pie preceded bands like Thin Lizzy by several years, yet seem to have been forgotten by younger music lovers of today. Musically, & especially in a live context, Humble Pie absolutely stomped bands like the Dolls & KISS, who emerged only a few months later.

Humble+Pie.jpg

These guys were real musicians, with genuine chops, who didn’t need to wear lipstick & mascara, or set off pyro explosions, to get your attention. They put out a thunderous sound, with stunning dynamics, great chord changes, extended solos, & awesome vocals. Hail Humble Pie!

M

Last edited by a moderator:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Re: Humble Pie

I frickin' love Humble Pie, they were hardcore. Fampton Comes Alive is great, but IMHO it's not as good as Rockin' the Fillmore. That album is astounding.

And I Don't Need No Doctor... that song is an anthem!

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

I thought Kiss Alive was just a studio album with audience overdubs. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Still love rocking out to Rockin' The Fillmore. Fantastic material.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Humble Pie are one my absolute favorite 70's bands. Steve Marriott's voice is what really hooked me to begin with as a kid but the thunder of the band is what keep me coming back all these years .So much soul and fire pours from Steve and the rest of the bands very pours especially live.

I have been listening to the S/T ,Thunderbox, Street Rats , Smokin' and Eat It for the last three days and still not even close to givin' them a break yet. Up next
Up Our Sleeves, Live @ the Whiskey A Go Go 69' ,On to Victory and Rockin, the Filmore and then maybe I might have got my fill of Pie for a while . :lmao:

UNDERRATED BAND.

Oh and IMO Kiss is no where even close to the mighty Humble Pie ( though I do like them )

EDIT : This thread should really be in the 70 section IMHO

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

dude i love me some Humble Pie; Rockin' the Fillmore, Rock On, Smokin' Eat It, all great albums. i agree with DaKiller, majorly underrated band

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Feeling hungry... have a slice of Humble Pie.

Last edited by a moderator:

muzik_guy

Certified Music Geek
Reaction score
Love this band, especially during Frampton's tenure. The balance of melody & aggression was perfect. Once Peter bailed Marriott became a little too overwrought & self-indulgent for his own good. I'll take Town & Country and Rock On over anything else the band ever did. Brilliant.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Humble Pie’s ‘Rockin’ the Fillmore’ Gets Boxed

humble.jpg

Source Link

Humble Pie‘s 1971 double live album ‘Performance: Rockin’ the Fillmore’ finally broke the British rock band in the U.S. after a couple years of missing the charts. The record reached No. 21 and gave the band the shot it needed to push forward.

On Oct. 29, an expanded version of that album will be released as a four-disc box set that gathers all four shows at New York’s legendary Fillmore East from which the original 1971 record was culled.

Humble Pie — featuring Steve Marriott, Peter Frampton, Greg Ridley and Jerry Shirley — had already released four albums and a handful of singles when they played the Fillmore on May 28 and 29, 1971. They tore through four shows, blazing songs like Dr. John’s ‘I Walk on Gilded Splinters’ (which they stretched out to more than 25 minutes onstage) and ‘I Don’t Need No Doctor,’ originally recorded by Ray Charles, with blues-rock intensity. (The live version of ‘Doctor’ became the band’s first hit, peaking at No. 73.)

The new box collects the entire run of shows and includes the original album’s seven songs plus 15 previously unreleased performances. None of the tracks from the first show made it to the 1971 LP. The box set’s remastered mix was supervised by Shirley and Frampton, who says in a press release, “It’s like a breath of fresh air .”

Disc One (05/28/71 Friday, First Show)
1. ‘Four Day Creep’
2. ‘I’m Ready’
3. ‘I Walk on Gilded Splinters’
4. ‘Hallelujah (I Love Her So)’
5. ‘I Don’t Need No Doctor’

Disc Two (05/28/71 Friday, Second Show)
1. ‘Four Day Creep’
2. ‘I’m Ready’
5. ‘Rollin’ Stone’
6. ‘I Don’t Need No Doctor’

Disc Three (05/29/71 Saturday, First Show)
1. ‘Four Day Creep’
2. ‘I’m Ready’
5. ‘Stone Cold Fever’

Disc Four (05/29/71 Saturday, Second Show)
1. ‘Four Day Creep’
2. ‘I’m Ready’
5. ‘Rollin’ Stone’
6. ‘I Don’t Need No Doctor’

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka