Hughes/ Bonamassa supergroup falls apart

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hughes/Bonamassa Supergroup Falls Apart?

mdome / News, Top Posts / 24/04/2010 08:57am

The supergroup featuring Glenn Hughes, Joe Bonamassa, Derek Sherinian and Jason Bonham might be all over before it’s properly begun.
Kevin Shirley, who’s been producing the debut album for the band (who were originally to be called Black Country) has written on his Facebook page:
“We set out as friends and lovers of music, to make something special. Then the managers got involved… and kept changing their wants, ultimately demanding EVERYTHING!
“I can’t absolve all the musicians — but one I can completely absolve is the one who actually has a career and has just been voted ‘Best Guitarist In The World’ (Joe Bonamassa) — who was 100% open ALL the way. And he doesn’t ride on anyone’s coattails… Maybe they’ll come to their senses…. I’m not holding my breath.”
In the meantime, Glenn Hughes has announced a raft of his own shows for the autumn:
July 31: Pentrich Rock & Blues Custom Show
September 23: Manchester Academy
September 24: Holmfirth Picturedrome
September 25: Glasgow O2 ABC
September 27: Gateshead Sage
September 28: Bilston Robin 2
September 29: Nottingham Rescue Rooms
October 1: Falmouth Princess Pavilion
October 2: Exeter Phoenix
ind out more at g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Managers, they are like the Politicians of the music business, figures they would get in the way of a project that might have helped their own artists.:nw:

From the sounds of things Joe Bonamassa seems the most at ease with himself, the others could learn from his example.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Mmmm ... Thats a shame the mix of musicians involved could have been a winner. Laying aside the management greed (money I assume is the root) they all excel at their art.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
GLENN HUGHES Says Supergroup With BONHAM, SHERINIAN, BONAMASSA Will Continue - Apr. 26, 2010
Former DEEP PURPLE bassist/singer Glenn Hughes has denied reports that his new supergroup with LED ZEPPELIN reunion drummer Jason Bonham, DREAM THEATER's former keyboardist Derek Sherinian, and guitarist Joe Bonamassa has split up amid rumors of management disagreements.

After the CD's producer, Kevin Shirley, wrote on his Facebook page at the end of last week that "we set out as friends and lovers of music, to make something special, [before]the managers got involved... and kept changing their wants, ultimately demanding EVERYTHING!" Hughes stated via his Twitter profile, "Just spoke to Kevin. We are workin' hard to deliver the greatest new rock album of the year. We are passionate." Shirley himself then clarified via his Facebook page: "OK — I have been urged to amend this - like everything on the Internet, things get twisted! I believe there is a salvage operation to rescue survivors from the downed [BLACK COUNTRY; the project's original name] plane. I have just had a big conversation with Glenn, who is mortified about the situation, as he has really put his heart and soul into it.

"I love Glenn.

He then added, "Here's the salvage plan guys — everyone is equal. It's that easy. Cut out the cancer that is anyone greedy, and this thing will rock. Morality rules..... managers try to. I am mad, too!!!"

The band was originally known as BLACK COUNTRY but learned that name was taken and has since been forced to come up with something else.

Bonamassa recently spoke to VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner about what is going on with the group.

"The band has a name and I won't say it until it's trademarked and on a CD," he said. "The record is done and it'll come out in September. And after that, whatever comes of it is great.

He continued, "People are going, 'Is it gonna tour? Is it gonna tour?' I don't even want to address that because at the end of the day, nobody wants to see a band that made a bad record. So my concentration in the short term is always make the record as good as it can be because there's a lot of expectation."

Joe elaborated on what expectations he felt were out there for the band.

"They expect the sum of its parts and then some," he said. "It's gotta be 'Led Zeppelin I' and DEEP PURPLE 'Burn' and DREAM THEATER 'Pull Me Under' plus whatever bits I've put into it. So for me, I'm really proud of it. It's an unabashed rock record in the truest sense."

The supergroup featuring Bonamassa, Hughes, Sherinian and Bonham made a surprise debut appearance during the encore at Bonamassa's March 17 concert at the Riverside Municipal Auditorium in Riverside, California. The band performed two songs — "One Last Soul" and a cover of the DEEP PURPLE classic "Mistreated".

Fan-filmed video footage of the performance can be viewed below.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
No way is Joe the "world's best guitar player." Certainly makes the top fifty, but no where close to the top.
I gave the video a listen and was not impressed.

Blind Faith only lasted six months. They produced one studio and one live album in that time, along with touring dates.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cucukakek89apk

Members online

No members online now.