How would they sound today?

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
If Brian Jones was still with the Rolling Stones?

stonesv.jpg

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
Drugged out or straight?

:huh:

yeah, this is the main issue. if he was still strung out on drugs then i think their great run of Beggars to Exile would be a little more subpar. i don't think we really would have gotten much more out of the Stones because the drugged up Brian Jones would be holding them back.

But had he cleaned up and rejoined? well i really have no idea what would have happened, it certainly would have been interesting though...

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
yeah, this is the main issue. if he was still strung out on drugs then i think their great run of Beggars to Exile would be a little more subpar. i don't think we really would have gotten much more out of the Stones because the drugged up Brian Jones would be holding them back.
as opposed to the drugged out Keith Richards NOT holding them back?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I'm by no means a huge fan of Brian's, but I don't see how Jones' drug use would have held them back anymore than any of the other members. I'm not sure about Mick Taylor, but Wood and Richards have definitely done more than their fair share of booze and drugs.

*shrug*

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Probably the same.

I agree

as opposed to the drugged out Keith Richards NOT holding them back?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I'm by no means a huge fan of Brian's, but I don't see how Jones' drug use would have held them back anymore than any of the other members. I'm not sure about Mick Taylor, but Wood and Richards have definitely done more than their fair share of booze and drugs.

*shrug*

Good Point

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
i mean lets face it, even Keith and Mick said he was doing way too many drugs. plus he wasn't able to get a US visa to tour. so had he stayed in the band then their famous 1969 tour would have never happened. yeah Keith was heavily involved with drugs too, but he was still able to write and record music, but when Brian Jones got involved too much his contribution to the band was pretty nonexistant

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Lynch:

I'm by no means a huge fan of Brian's....

Well you should be!

The band that became the Rolling Stones had its origins when Mick and Keith joined Brian's band in mid-1962. It was Brian who was the incredibly talented young blues impressario. Mick and Keith were in awe of his abilities. Keith has been quoted as saying that when Brian picked up a slide guitar to cover some Elmore James licks, he and Mick just looked at each other and thought "Is there anything this cat can't do?" It wouldn't be that much of an exaggeration to say that Mick and Keith learned everything they knew about playing the blues from Brian.

Brian as a virtuoso multi-instrumentalist contributed enormously to the music of the Rolling Stones up through 1967. In fact, it was his mellotron playing that was the key to "Their Satanic Majesties Request". Brian had, however, completely disintegrated by the time of the "Beggars Banquet" sessions as his drug abuse exacerbated his deeply seated insecurities and other emotional issues.

Tattoo'd Lady:

so had he stayed in the band then their famous 1969 tour would have never happened. yeah Keith was heavily involved with drugs too, but he was still able to write and record music, but when Brian Jones got involved too much his contribution to the band was pretty nonexistant.

That is correct. Brian was no longer a functioning band member when the Stones asked him to leave in 1969. He wasn't even showing up for recording or photo sessions! Keith remained a key contributor all the way through his drug problems. Different drugs, different personalities.

Attachments

• BrianJones1.jpg
    BrianJones1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
so foxy, what do you think the stones would have sounded like throughout the 70's and into the 00's if Brian Jones had cleaned up and stayed in the group?

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I suspect that the Stones would perhaps have sounded better; certainly more varied anyway.

Consider. The Stones output in the sixties was highly diverse. Take this list of hits:

Not Fade Away
Time Is on My Side
It's All Over Now
Heart of Stone
The Last Time
Play with Fire
Satisfaction
Get off of My Cloud
As Tears Go By
19th Nervous Breakdown
Paint It Black
Mother's Little Helper
Lady Jane
Ruby Tuesday
Let's Spend the Night Together
We Love You
She's a Rainbow
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Sympathy for the Devil
Honky Tonk Women
Gimme Shelter

Was there any kind of commonality in sound (other than Mick's voice of course)? There was not. Yet after Keith discovered the open tuning for his guitar trick in the late sixties, the music of the Stones acquired a certain "characteristic" sound. Whether this was due to Keith's open tunings or the blending of two guitars that the Stones i.e. Keith favoured, a commonality began. Compare some of their big hits from the seventies and eighties:

Brown Sugar
Tumblin' Dice
It's Only Rock 'n Roll
Start Me Up

They're not entirely different in tone/flavour.

Had Brian Jones gotten his head back into making music with the Rolling Stones, Keith would not have always gotten his way with respect to track arrangements. I suspect that both Mick Taylor and Ronnie Woods always just went along with whatever Keith was trying to do. Brian could have been a dissenting voice. He could have provided a differing perspective and added an extraneous element.

Do you disagree?

Attachments

• Rolling Stones supper.jpg
    Rolling Stones supper.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member