How Sooty Hears the 70's: 1970

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Syd Barrett-Barrett
Syd-Barrett-Barrett-222555.jpg

main.php

This album was better than i expected though nothing great as I expected as well. I like and respect Pink Floyd but when you have a crazy guy fueled on drugs rambling with a guitar with no band to reign him in you are likely to get that "unsung genius" tag from fanboys who herald anything the artist shits out while others here exactly what i described. Well it was partly drugged out ramblings but there was some nice fun structures and melodies. Here's my take in two parts:

The Decent Melodic and Fun Tracks

Stupid Pretentious Drug Addled Shit

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Big Brother And The Holding Company-Be A Brother
115022187.jpg
Big-Brother-post-Janis-Joplin-promo-photo.jpg

I had pretty low expectations for this album. Without Janis I just figured this would be a jammy forgettable take a toke because we are missing our one definable element now type album. It kind of was but outside the shittiest album cover I've ever seen it wasn't "that" bad. I actually like this track! It actually has a Bob Segerish vibe to it! I like the violin included!

Heartache People

Lavender10

Cult of Personality
Reaction score
Sooty hears dead people...
lol, anyway...ive seen and heard 3/4 of those barrett videos before, which is weird because he isnt all that well known, and im a mainstream whore. :flirt Another nice pick from you sooty, very cool mate.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Sooty hears dead people...
lol, anyway...ive seen and heard 3/4 of those barrett videos before, which is weird because he isnt all that well known, and im a mainstream whore. :flirt Another nice pick from you sooty, very cool mate.

Thank you Lavender! :) Since starting this thread I've either acquired the following or have it coming in my most recent Amazon order:

51jMGo5RniL._SL500_AA300_.jpgAffinity_(Affinity_album).jpg41R8NQANECL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
argent_original_album_classics.jpg51DY5fOsMtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
T. Rex-A Beard of Stars
T-Rex--Tyrannosaurus-Rex-A-Beard-Of-Stars-425345.jpg

b02009a.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of Marc Bolan. I listened to Electric Warrior recently which is his most popular work and between this debut and that I'm not sure I'm on board with his work. I get the impression that he's supposed to be a quirky eccentric artist and he's got that all the way. I have to say this album sounds nothing like any other the other 70's works I've heard. I read in the mini blurb for this album that it was the first time he started using electric instruments and sometimes his mix of acoustic and electric are interesting and others it is just awkward. His voice in particular is one thing I'm not in love with. It sounds very elfish at times and his eccentric weird exaggerations and phrasing seem forced and obnoxious at times. I have to respect it's uniqueness though. My highlights would be the following and it's actually for the awesome guitar work and the couple times he plays it a little more darker, heavier and straight on the album:

Wind Cheetah & Elemental Child

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Just wondering, why you ordered a greatest hits album even if you have all tracks from there on Original Album Classics box set? :tongue:

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Hold Your Head Up track is an opener for their third album "All Together Now". Well at least it can be a gold present for her. :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online