How Sooty Hears the 70's: 1970

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Ringo Starr-Beaucoups Of Blues
1321354915_q2ah6c0a4adw.jpg
Ringo-Starr.jpg

Wow! So Ringo did a Country album! Actually it's not half bad and the least goofiest thing I've heard from Ringo solo. I heard the album didn't sell the best but i respect that Ringo had the balls to do something different. There's some good songwriting on this disc and Ringo's vocal is solid. I particularly like this track. The subject matter is pretty dark and definitely has that Country tragedy element! :D

Love Don't Last Long

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Nice Sooty! I only have Electric Warrior from them and even so I only bought it a week or so ago. I like Elemental Child as that track is more up my alley. :)

Now, don't go getting TOO many 70s albums, ya hear? You have a reputation as the new music connoiseur and you must preserve that. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Nice Sooty! I only have Electric Warrior from them and even so I only bought it a week or so ago. I like Elemental Child as that track is more up my alley. :)

Now, don't go getting TOO many 70s albums, ya hear? You have a reputation as the new music connoiseur and you must preserve that. :grinthumb

Jen, do you like T. Rex as a whole? I'm not sure what I think. he sounds talented but not like an artist I can connect with musically.

My rep for new music guy won't siminish as I have three new bands posted within this past week and a whole 2012 poll for new artist but I prefer the All-Music Guy moniker! :D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Candido Camero-Beautiful
candido-beautiful-20111111074737.jpg

071211-AfroCuban-Camero.jpg

This was a slightly more interesting Jazz record since it's more upbeat, festive and beat based (lot of bongos)! It's also one of those records that unforunately starts off strong and then winds down and dwindles. When you listen to these first two tracks though in which the drumming is really good and the rhythms exciting. You think you are in for something good but honestly it's tasking as a whole.

I listened or rather sampled a couple other songs and they sound more like the two I posted so overall I may like a collection of this artist better! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
The Statler Brothers-Bed Of Roses
7629e893e7a0da899f945110.L.jpg
thestatlerbrothers03-430x250.jpg

I couldn't get into this one. This is definitely my grandparents type of music. I can appreciate the harmonies though and I kind of get the appeal. They are kind of a Country Barbershop Quartet. The songs are actually a little sleazy for a wholesome group. In a couple they just don't seem to ever be happy with their current loves and are always fantasizing about some flame from their past. :heheh: Anyway, here's an example of one of their better harmony songs that I actually liked! :grinthumb

The Junkie's Prayer
(really dark and spiritual)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Harry Belafonte-Belafonte By Requests
36186.jpg
tumblr_lhepdkUn5C1qgtqgzo1_400.jpg

After being on a roll for these albums I only could find like four of these songs. :( It really saddens me because part of doing this thread I wanted to broaden my perspective of certain artist and the little I heard did that here. One of the most surprisingly discoveries alongside the BeeGees and Randy Newman. :) I know this guy as the fun "Day-Oh" guy in which my enjoyment comes from an equally humorous place. It's so cheery and islandy (yeah I'm using that :D) that you have to love it and Hell it was great in Beetlejuice but in a serious turn I love this guys voice. His tone is great and is very unique. I've never heard that before and in this cover of Scarborough Fair I'm hooked. It's not a cover anymore. I hear such a unique presence in his vocal it becomes his own! Plus the slow pacing here tells a broader story! It's an amazing cover and I want to hear more Belafonte! :bow:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.