How do you find your music ?

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Reaction score
Welcome!!!!!

I goto thrift stores,record stores,etc........... I search online for stuff I like/want :)

How about you bud?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Luckily, my best friend and I have been mutually music addicted since High School so the ground we've covered covers two decades. Throughout that time we've through many sources found a plethora of bands we like and while we have gone in different directions we are their to answer if one of our shared bands are coming out or if a new one that fits that range of sound comes out we'll share it. Through the years my methods have changed. I used to have MTV and VH1. I used to just take chances while flipping through albums at Record Stores. I used to go on message boards which was my first taste of forums. I'd combine my findings from there and use Napster or limewire to preview bands then buy he physical after. After that I moved on to forms eventually finding this one. I got good at finding new music and this filled in the gaps for older music. :) Now, I use multiple sources and just go sample crazy using youtube and Spotify. Both youtube and Spotify has their new music featured. Even making my orders through Amazon gives me plenty of recs. I'm part of a handful of facebook music social groups that are a great reference. The problem with finding new music and having the resources is that you have that endless ball rolling downhill that collects so much awesome it can get overwhelming! :heheh:

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
1) I read a couple of music magazines (Classic Rock, Uncut, Metal Hammer, Classic Rock presents Prog, etc) and try to check out their recommendations via youtube or at the record store if available.
2) By going to charity shops, various markets, vinyl fairs, etc I have built up a reasonable collection of vinyl and cd's.
3) By special order on internet and at record shop.
4) I belong to a group of friends with similar interests and we have various discussions on music, from whom I learn a lot.
5) I refuse to buy stuff online unless there is a physical copy available.
6) This forum has also introduced me to a few great artists :)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I have always found the best way for me is to talk to and listen to my family, mates and peers in general. Luckily I have a wide circle of close people that have a good solid knowledge and stay in tune with what's happening now and what went before. Other than that I read a great deal about the musicians that appeal to me and their influences.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't venture that much into NEW NEW music. There is still tons of music from the 80's & 90's for me to explore. Plus the fact I just began listening to Symphonic Metal within the past year or so.......still a lot of music to explore in that genre.

For the last 10+ years, my biggest source for music has been the music forum. There is always someone sending me links to music for me to check out and I will visit threads of bands I've not heard before.

How do I obtain my music? That's a guarded secret!

:pirate:

LoL......I visit bargain bins, yard sales, thrift shops, record shops, and sometimes from Amazon.

Reaction score
I connect with many cool bands on various social media outlets, and participate in Kickstarter projects with the best of them. There's nothing cooler than supporting independent music.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
:woot::woot: I read a few music magazines, websites, friends, forum (this one) H M V Stores, Second Hand Record Stores, Play.com and Amazon...

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Sounds weird, but I let it find me. That's just the only way that music has ever worked for me. Many, many times I've searched, scoured the net, and found bands or genres that seem perfect for me, on paper they seem like they're exactly what I want, and I try so hard to force them to click and be the next phase in my music saga. But that has never worked, not even a single time. I always end up just putting that music away and never going back to it. The only favorites I ever found through the internet were Immortal Technique & Paramore, which is a little strange since I've been going on music sites daily since I was 11!

I'm usually a practical, skeptical person but music is like a spiritual thing for me, I let it find me. I can be at a party at 4am and they'll put on some strange song to try and clear the house (that's how I found Pantera), or at a gas station at midnight and the clerk's playing some crazy-ass folk music (how I found Ani Difranco), or I check out a band to try and impress a girl (Neutral Milk Hotel, Garth Brooks), or what the kid next to me in Science class is listening to (Alice in Chains), or in a department store, it can happen anywhere. The stars just have to align and something falls into my lap that really connects with me. 'Course, the bulk of my favorites are the classic rock artists, who I heard throughout my youth from my dad and brothers.

rocknrollpestcontroll

Jammin On The Drums
Reaction score
Sometimes i find music via flipping through the galaxie music stations on tv, or through my youtube auto mix playlist, but if im feeling really differnt i go to jango.com, alot of lesser known bands there

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online