Hoodoo Gurus

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
Good 'ol OZ rock.......KICKED OUT THE JAMS IN THE 80S AND BEYOND!!:):)

Hoodoo Gurus (referred to as the Gurus by fans) are an Australian rock band, formed in Sydney in 1981,[1] by the mainstay Dave Faulkner (songwriter, lead singer and guitarist) and later joined by Richard Grossman (bass), Mark Kingsmill (drums), and Brad Shepherd (guitar, vocals, harmonica).[2] Their popularity peaked in the mid to late 1980s with albums Mars Needs Guitars!, Blow Your Cool! and Magnum Cum Louder.[3]

Hoodoo Gurus had a string of acclaimed pop-rock singles including "Leilani" (1982), "Tojo" (1983), "My Girl" (1983), "I Want You Back" (1984), "Bittersweet", "Like Wow - Wipeout!", and "What's My Scene?".[1] After touring the United States from 1984 onwards they gained popularity on the U.S. college rock circuit[3] with singles "Come Anytime" (1989)[4] reaching #1 and "Miss Freelove '69" (1991)[5] reaching #3 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.[6] Gurus’ biggest Australian hit single was their 1987 Top 3 hit song "What's My Scene?"[7] or, as modified for the National Rugby League 2000s theme, "That's My Team".[8][9]

Hoodoo Gurus' iconic status on the Australian rock scene was acknowledged when they were inducted into the 2007 ARIA Hall of Fame.[10][11] Their induction announcement stated that the Gurus were one of the most "inventive, lyrically smart and exciting" bands from Australia.[12] From 1960s power pop, and wild garage punk to hard driving rock and funky psychedelic kitsch their music stood out from Sydney's Detroit-inspired bands.[1]

Some of my fave vids.................

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I was thinking about writing this thread but never got around to it :D

Love the Hoodoos, great Aussie rock n' roll!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am glad we have Aussies who post these great bands! Being from the US, a lot of these bands never got attention here.

This is some great rock! :cheers:

Could someone recommend the best album for me???

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
After having a quick look at their discography, everything from 82 - 94 seems to have an equal amount of good songs per album. I'm sure S&L will know more about them than I do though.

But because it's all that I own, I recommend the 2CD compilation Ampology. It has every essential Hoodoo track and is a great starting point :D

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
3162.jpg

I've got this one - purty good :D

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Great to see the Hoodoo Gurus getting a good mention here. There are some excellent bands in Australia and New Zealand!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online

No members online now.