Hello from TheSound

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Hi, again!! Sorry to have to bump this thread up, but I feel like I probably need to re-introduce myself! Some of you may remember me from earlier this year, I joined here and posted pretty regularly – 400+ posts over a couple of months – then I sort of vanished with no explanation! My family have had a weird year, lots of commuting between the north west of England where we now live, and Washington DC where we used to live, and where my wife and her family are from, mainly due to family health matters (my wife’s elderly parents are having so many problems) and all of which has been quite disruptive to our 3 kid’s lives, and also to their schooling, and also to my wife’s job (she is a professional classical orchestral musician) and so I really haven’t been around the internet much at all for some months, other than just checking my emails - and I'm afraid booking endless airline flights between Manchester and Washington Dulles Airport! So we are now debating whether to return to live back in the US, as in some ways it would make life easier. Anyway, I thought I’d check back in here, as music is still my greatest interest and passion, though even that has taken a back seat. I have only been to I think 3 concerts this year, or at least since I last posted on here – I saw the ever phenomenal/unrivalled Rush on the ‘Time Machine’ tour back in May (which was by far the best show I have ever seen Rush give, and I first saw them on the Farewell to Kings tour, so bring on the new live 'Time Machine' DVD!!), and I saw the Roger Waters ‘The Wall’ show, which was also in May (not a bad show at all, though I do need to ask just for how much longer is RW going to continue flogging to death and financially milking an album that he wrote 32 years ago??) and finally I saw Mark Knopfler and his band just last week, all 3 shows were at the huge MEN Arena in Manchester. In fact I maybe boring you all to death with Knopfler for some weeks/months to come!!...Knopfler’s set was actually something of a ‘road-to-Damascus’ experience for me, as I’d completely forgotten just what a peerless singer/guitarist/songwriter Mark Knopfler is, IMO he is right up there with the very best, and the next day I immediately bought up his entire back catalogue of albums from Amazon.com (and mostly only for about £3-4 each!) that I didn’t already own…few solo albums, and with Dire Straits. Unfortunately though MK was on the same bill as Bob Dylan, who we had to suffer through until our ears almost bled, Dylan and his band were just too hideous and awful for words, a deafening racket of distorted over-amplified re-inventions of once great songs that were just totally unreocgnisable, Dylan doesn’t even sing these days, he sort of spits and grunts out every line like he’s about to vomit up his breakfast, to be honest he makes Tom Waits sound like Pavarotti, he should have had subtitles on a screen over the stage for anyone to understand a single word he sang. And he never communicates with the audience at all, so I’d say it was easilythe worst live set of ‘music’ I have seen in nearly 40 years (and this coming from somebody who saw Devo supporting Genesis at the Knebworth Festival in 1978, when Devo got bottled off the stage after about 3 songs) I simply couldn’t tell one Dylan song from another, in fact the couple next to us were looking at each other and saying… “Is this ‘Hard Rain’? …or is it ‘Highway 61’?”… and in fact lots of people started walking out after only about 3 or 4 songs, I’ve never seen Dylan live before, so I was determined to do so, even though the tickets were £70 each, but I’ll certainly never see him again. Knopfler by contrast was a consumate performer, a beautifully balanced set with that charming gaelic twist that he adds to his music these days, he was cool and crisp and clear and he outclassed Dylan in every department. Anyway, nice to see the forum is still going strong, and sorry, I still clearly have this habit of never using 100 words where 1,000 will do just as well, but you'll get used to it!! And I hope to re-aquaint myself with some of you guys and meet some new friends over the coming weeks, so see you around.

‘The Sound’

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Welcome back man! I remember you and saw you browsing the last couple days and thought "Cool, I hope he starts posting again!" :grinthumb Always liked your post and like your reintroduction which made me laugh about the Dylan experience :heheh: I always found you had something interesting to say. :grinthumb Welcome again and hope you can stay awhile! :cheers2

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
I didn't have the pleasure of meeting you the first time around, but I just wanted to say welcome back! I hope things get better for your family in terms of calming down and I wish your wife's parents better health. I hope you can come here to CRF and find a place to get away from life's troubles. Take care.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Welcome back Sound! I thought I saw you the other day. Always enjoyed your posts so I hope you stay around for awhile. :grinthumb

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, it is certainly my intention to take up where I left off and post here most days, as long as I feel I have something to contribute to the chat. It's actually interesting to see how little musical tastes can vary over the months when I look back at my original introduction post - there in February I listed my favourite bands/singers, and pretty much 9 months later if I did it again it would be exactly the same! Possibly proves that 'classic rock' is timeless and permanently great, whilst there really is nothing coming through these days to get my attention at least - though I would now add Knopfler and actually James Taylor to that list....and I'm afraid eject Dylan and send him to the sin bin!! Sorry to see that Lord Grendel is away from here, he was one of the first (amongst many) to make me feel welcome, plus he's just about the only other Formula One motor racing fan on here, so I hope he returns in a blaze of glory at some point!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome Back!

Nice to see you again, TS. :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members