Hello from TheSound

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, wow, seems an incredibly friendly place compared with most forums, I remember I joined a sports forum a few weeks ago, and out of about 500 members I got one "Wassup man"....and that was it!!

I agree that me putting "without going into too much detail" ...but then going on for about 10 minutes was a pretty dumb thing to do, but anyway, appreciate your welcome, see you later.

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
Hi there,

Wow, this looks like quite a forum, so thought I better just say hi.

I live in the north-west of England, UK, in a village about half way between The Beatles and Van der Graaf Generator (that would be Liverpool and Manchester) I grew up in the city of Preston.

Without giving away too much detail, I am 45 years old and married, and we have three children, two boys aged 10 and 13, and a 11 year old daughter. My wife is actually American, and all our children were born and raised in the USA, I worked and lived in Washington DC for about 17 years between 1992 and 2009, when we came back to live here in England. We came back here because my wife is a professional 'classical' musician, and she accepted a position in one of the leading professional symphony orchestras here in the north west of England. My taste in music is very wide, ranging from classical Mozart and Mahler, to headbangin' Metallica and folksy Joni Mitchell, I also like some folk, C&W, jazz, and blues, though I have a real love of classic-rock above everything else. Like I expect most of you guys, I have way too many favourite bands/artists to list them all, but we could just mention Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Rolling Stones, The Doors, Peter Gabriel, Tom Waits, Eric Clapton, Supertramp, Metallica, The Eagles, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Black Sabbath (up to Ozzy leaving anyway, hated pretty much everything they ever did after Ozzy) Genesis (up to the 'And Then There Were Three' album, totally hated everything they did after that) Jethro Tull, Joni Mitchell, ELP, Deep Purple, Pearl Jam, Hendrix, Van Morrison, Tom Petty, Rush, AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, U2, Yes, Bob Seger, Journey, The Who, Uriah Heep, many many more, but anyway you get the general idea, probably the same thing applies to most of you. There aren't all that many 'rock' bands who I actively hate, it's all good, though I have to say that Muse are far more fake and pompous than I can physically/audibly stand, they just sound to me like a bad Queen tribute band, and the singer clearly has a serious Thom Yorke man-love thing going on (sorry about that Muse fans!)

For me, Zeppelin and Floyd are up on one level... and everybody else is on a different slightly lesser level.

I'm a sort of 'stay-at-home' dad right now while our kids are at that age, my wife works weird hours and she travels quite a lot with her job, so right now I work part-time from home where I help my two brothers out who run an online exporting business, I basically just keep their accounts in order while they do all the hard work LOL. We'll probably end up going back to live in the US one day, but for now I am loving just being 'home'. I'm also into sports, I'm a huge baseball fan (GO Baltimore Orioles!) also football/soccer, fan of Preston North End FC, who play in the English 'Championship' division.

OK, that's about it for now. Looks a pretty amazing forum, so I will try to support it and join in as much as I can when I get time.

See you all around.

'TheSound'

Welcome to the forums TheSound! :cheers2

That's awesome that your wife is a classical musician. What does she play? I used to play the violin and I was in Orchestra from 4th grade up until my Sophomore year of high school. I regret not turning it into a career. I know one day I'll pick up the violin and start playing again.

We have a whole lot in common as far as music goes already! Rush, Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath are three of my favorite bands and I also have a love for classical music.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums TheSound! :cheers2

That's awesome that your wife is a classical musician. What does she play? I used to play the violin and I was in Orchestra from 4th grade up until my Sophomore year of high school. I regret not turning it into a career. I know one day I'll pick up the violin and start playing again.

We have a whole lot in common as far as music goes already! Rush, Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath are three of my favorite bands and I also have a love for classical music.

Hi there. She plays violin, though she's one of those sickeningly gifted people who plays several instruments, she's an amazing pianist too, and also plays flute, guitar, and the organ.

Look forward to catching up with you maybe in the 'classical' forum here too.

Thanks again 'Lady'

snowblue

Reaction score
My brother lives in your neck of the woods (Darwen)

Welcome! :)

H

Horus Whimp

Sounds like THESOUND has got a thread of his own on here. Man, you're an overnight sensation much like ELO. If it weren't for Jeff Lynne, I never would have decided to learn to play keyboard.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online