1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haken

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by Gabble Ratchet, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Gabble Ratchet

Gabble Ratchet Senior Member

[​IMG]

Haken are a progressive rock/metal band from London, U.K. Formed in 2007 by three schoolmates, Richard Henshall, Ross Jennings and Matthew Marshall. After hearing of the band through an online forum, keyboard virtuoso Peter Jones made it into the band, bringing drummer Raymond Hearne with him. After picking up Tom Maclean on bass, they created a 35 minute long demo tape that was made from 3 songs and played sold out shows all around the bars of South-West London. In 2008, Peter Jones and Matthew Marshall left the band, but they soon picked up the acclaimed and talented duo of Charlie Griffith on guitar and Diego Tejeida on keyboards. Over the last year, Haken have supported big english bands like King's X, Bigelf and To Mera, as well as creating their 80 minute debut concept album Aquarius.

Released on March 29th of this year, Aquarius is quickly becoming the best album I've heard this year, and it mixes a main diet of metal with softer slower parts, blistering guitar solos, the occasional death metal growl and even some absolutely bonkers circus fanfare. They are a very interesting band to say the least, but are also a very good one! :D

(Videos below)

2. Soot and Stars

Soot and Stars I AM SOOT!

I'm not even a prog fan per say guys but I recommend them after hearing them from Sal! Just be prepared for some randomness *cough* CIRCUS *cough*, even by Prog standards! :heheh: :grinthumb

3. Gabble Ratchet

Personally I like the fact that a band can do something ridiculous like that completely at random, at least it's not boring! :heheh:

4. Soot and Stars

Soot and Stars I AM SOOT!

I agree and I have no doubt I'm I'm guilty of harboring something similar in my collection! :heheh:

5. LG

LG Fade To Black

These guys are hard to find...but I am curious now so will keep looking for the album Sal posted.

6. Aktivator

Aktivator aka Hightea

Lot of venders were recommending them at NEARfest, I didn't bit. They sound interesting but like most prog metal the singer repulses me.

7. Gabble Ratchet

There's a download of it on The Pirate Bay, it's 320k MP3 but it's the only one there. The only other option I could find is buying it lol

Aktivator, at least you took the time to listen to them, I hate people who discount a band/artist before they even know what they sound like! :grinthumb

8. Aktivator

Aktivator aka Hightea

yeap actually I listened to a few other tracks too to make sure I didn't actually really like some of it. The music does sound interesting

9. Gabble Ratchet

The Aquarius album in it's entirety is now on Youtube! :D

In order:

10. LG

LG Fade To Black

I'll catch up later, nice of you to upload the whole works Sal.:tup: