Guns N' Roses (Official Thread)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They were a paradox. Vile, Explicit, Honest, Real, Unreal, they could channel the Sex Pistols and write better love songs than any of their contemporaries. This dynamic was unheard of at the time. And it's timeless. "The Axl Rose Band" version of the last decade doesn't even count to me. A snapshot in time, it's best to be left with a few great albums (up for debate) than to try to imagine "what might've been" you get lightning in a bottle once. Memories fade, music sticks around, they were once great in so many ways, it's probably best that they called it a day when they did, rather than fade into mediocrity. (which they almost accomplished).

Almost? They achieved worse than mediocrity with Chinese Democracy imo. lol I'd take St Anger over it because at least I can understand the intentions and purpose that Metallica made with that album. This one though disgraces the Guns n Roses name. Shouldn't have the name on it.

S Levi W

Dr. Rock
Reaction score
Almost? They achieved worse than mediocrity with Chinese Democracy imo. lol I'd take St Anger over it because at least I can understand the intentions and purpose that Metallica made with that album. This one though disgraces the Guns n Roses name. Shouldn't have the name on it.

Ahh, I already said I dismissed "The Axl Rose Project" version of them :)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hear they have a new album coming out. Not worth another 15 year wait. lol

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I've made my special adoration for "Chinese Democracy" known countless times so I can't give an unbiased opinion on that one but I would rather sit through "Lulu" than "St. Anger", Riffy. :D

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I listened to all of Lulu the other day and apart from the amusing lyrics I found it hard to listen to it. St Anger has some pretty damn bad songs like Purify, St Anger, SKOM, All Within My hands but damn did Lulu have nothing but stinkers. Chinese Democracy while I do hate the album had a couple of tolerable songs. Otherwise just didn't do anything for me. Much like the last Van Halen album.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I find myself not usually listening to "Chinese Democracy" much as a whole album but with tracks like "Catcher in the Rhye", "Street of Dreams", "Madagascar", "This I Love", and "There Was a Time" all being great songs and "Better", If The World", "I.R.S.", and "Prostitute" being overall good songs I think there is plenty to turn to that album for. It doesn't sounds like classic Guns but it really doesn't sound like anything else either. I think it's a pretty refreshing album that could have stood to have a little trimming in the way of the tracklist but I feel like Axl felt like he had to make the album as long as possible because of the delays. "Riad N' The Bedouins", "Scrapped", "Sorry" (which I know some people like the most on the album), and the title track are all decent songs but they not what think showcase "Chinese Democracy" for what it is. The only song I would actually consider bad would be "Shackler's Revenge" since it's almost like "My World" part two but even so, 1 bad song out of 14 is a pretty good average if you ask me.

hairmetalmusic.com

www.hairmetalmusic.com
Reaction score
Really surprised at the hate in here for Chinese Democracy. Makes me wonder if some of you gave the album a fair chance or if some of the hate is just because of what transpired with Axl and the old band?

I say that because the majority of the album sounds like classic GnR. Or at least like the classic old GnR songs that were mainly "Axl" songs.

Better is a great rock song, regardless of who released it. It's as good as any "hard rock" song out there right now.

If you were a fan of Don't Cry, Estranged, Nov Rain, Nightrain, Rocketqeen type GnR, then Chinese has a LOT to offer you. The following songs sound like classic Axl Rose songs:
TWAT
Street of Dreams
Catcher in the Rye
IRS
Prostitute
Rhiad
Those six songs sound like they were lifted right off or the Illusions albums.

Shackler, Sorry, Chinese Democracy and Scraped are more of an acquire taste. Tho Sorry and CD sound like songs that Slash/Axl could have came up with.

This I Love was actually written back when the classic band was still together - so that's almost pure old school GnR.

Most of the hate I see for CD is usually caveated by negative comments about Axl or how Slash/Izzy were the band, or how it "can't" be Guns n Roses without the old guys, it wasn't worth a 14 year wait, etc. And later on people actually mention the songs.

IMO the songs should be the most important thing, not who is in the band or what the name of the band is.

And I'd put
Better.....TWAT.......Catcher........Street of Dreams........Prostitute......This I Love.......and IRS right up there against either Illusions album.

I think if people just gave it a chance as a rock album they might actually like it

hairmetalmusic.com

www.hairmetalmusic.com
Reaction score
CD sold almost five million copies, was a top 5 hit on Billboard, produced a couple "rock" hits on the rock charts, and GnR is still touring and headlining huge rock festivals.

I'm different from a lot of "fans" though. I don't care about the name of a band, who owns the name of a band, who is in a band, who is a jerk in real life, who is feuding with who, or how much a band member weighs!!!!!

I just care about the music that the band releases. I leave all that other drama to teenage girls.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online